Favorite Songs Rarely Heard On Radio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Some stuff that I used to LOVE on radio I almost NEVER hear on today's playlist controlled oldies stations:

The Letter - The Box Tops
    Shilo - Neil Diamond
    Friday on My Mind - Easybeats
    Too Much of Nothing - Peter Paul and Mary
    The might Quinn - Manfred Mann
    Come on Down to My Boat
    Master Jack - Four Jacks and a Jill

2. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

Come On Down To My Boat was by Every Mother's Son. Sean.

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I actually heard Goodbye by Mary Hopkin on the radio yesterday for the first time I swear since 1969.

It was on one of those nationwide syndicated programs.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

October Country-The Smoke
    Just A Little-Beau Brummels
    Moonlight Shadow-Mike Oldfield
    and thousands of others...

5. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight - Boyce & Hart
    Go Back - Crabby Appleton
    Pied Piper - Crispian St Peter
    Stealin' - Uriah Heep
    Lights Out - UFO

Tons more.....

6. Sean Keane

I I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight/Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart

An organ instrumental of this tune kept playing through a fairly famous movie from 1969. Can you name it? Sean Keane.

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Re: I Woder What She's Doing Tonight/Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart

I'm guessing here Sean, is it "They Shoot Horses, Don't They." :thumbsup:

8. Sean Keane

No, Joe, no. A comedy is the one I'm thinking of, but it might have been in that one, too. I didn't see it.

9. Sean Keane

It starred an older man and a younger woman. She was also on a TV show that same year. Does anyone recall a song from the early, maybe mid-seventies, called "Don't You Worry"? It was sung by a guy called Randy Bishop from Montreal. I haven't heard it in so long. It may have been a local hit but I don't think so. Too irresistable. I only have a dial up connection and so I don't store music on the computer but I sometimes check and see if a certain track is out there and, if I have forty minutes to spend, may download the track. I have never seen this song on Kazza.

Attached Files:

10. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The oldies station here plays that one all the time. What I haven't ever heard on the radio is the original version of that song, by Barry and the Tamerlanes.

11. npc145

npc145 music junkie

I think the reason many of these songs remain our favorites is because they are rarely played on the radio. The fact that there is another thread about songs that are played to death on the radio is a great indicator of that. Many songs on that thread were probably favs at one time.

Neil

12. seriousfun

seriousfun Forum Resident

Eric did this on his great album Blue River [​IMG].

13. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Here Comes The Nite by Jimmy Norman...

...anybody got a good rip of this? I have it on an mp3.

14. Sean Keane

Let Her Dance

Let Her Dance by The Bobby Fuller Four was a hit in the Los Angeles area in 1966, from what I read in the liner notes of the Del-Fi Rhino (1990) CD. This is such a fantastic rock and roll record that I'm surprised it didn't spread like a forest blaze. Something I will never forget regarding Bobby Fuller- In 1994 I was in Los Angeles and staying at the Sportsman's Lodge on Ventura near Coldwater Canyon. In the bar one night I was talking to a friend about the death of Bobby Fuller and expressed my feeling that he was murdered. This big guy across the bar overheard me and freaked out. He told me that he was a retired cop and worked on the case of Bobby Fuller's death and that it was a suicide. I almost got the feeling that I should have just shut-up but instead I mouthed off to him and he backed off. I wonder if he had anything to do with it. No one drinks gasoline in a parked car while their mother is sitting in the house a few yards away. Sean Francis Keane.

Attached Files:

15. Sean Keane

A line that's been drumming in my head on and off for many years is, "In the avenues and alleyways..." I know that's very little to go on but maybe someone will know.

16. npc145

npc145 music junkie

"In the Avenues and Alleyways" which was sung by Tony Christie and entered the UK singles charts in 1973. It was used as the title theme to a british tv show called "The Protectors"

Neil

17. Sean Keane

Thank you, Neil.

18. Sean Keane

Some time ago I asked a friend and they said Lou Christie of Lightning Strikes and Two Faces Have I record fame but in HMV I saw no disc that would indicate this line. Thanks again for getting the record straight.

19. I might have that song buried somewhere on an old mp3 disc from 1999/2000 Napster period. I remember downloading a song from an early 1970s film. The song was credited to Randy Bishop and Bob Segarini, both who played in the great pop band The Wackers. Remember them? They had 2 or 3 albums on Elektra. I love their cover version of "Him Or Me".

Songs I haven't heard on the radio for a gazillion years include:

Emmitt Rhodes - "Fresh As A Daisy"
    Audience - "Indian Summer"
    Captain Beyond - anything from the first album

20. Sean Keane

The Wackers

Mike, yeah, I remember the Wackers. They Played at my brother's high school here in MTL in the early seventies. I was told that Edward Bear (the group) was somehow connected to them.

21. Sean Keane

A tune that was around in 1975 on the AM dial that I can't think of the name is another one that comes to mind sometimes. The singer was Suzanne Stevens and some of the lyrics go, "This old world/has been turning around for a hundred million years or more/Who am I..." Forget the lyrics to the rest of that part but the refrain goes, "And just like an old time movie/where the hero always wins/I need to know your sweet, sweet love/before our story ends." Maybe it was only popular in Canada but it had an appealing sound to it.

22. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Memorable hits that oldies radio forgot

MICKEY & SYLVIA - Love Is Strange
    BELL NOTES - I've Had It
    YARDBIRDS - Over Under Sideways Down
    DUSTY SPRINGFIELD - Stay Awhile
    P.J. PROBY - Nicky Hokey
    DAVE CLARK FIVE - I've Got To Have A Reason
    MARVIN GAYE - Stubborn Kind Of Fellow
    SEEDS - Pushin' Too Hard
    JOE TEX - I Got You
    BOB LIND - Elusive Butterfly
    BEATLES - She's A Woman
    BLUE CHEER - Summertime Blues
    FRANK SINATRA - That's Life
    ODE TO BILLY JOE - Bobby Gentry

23. Sean Keane

Stay Awhile

Didn't The Bells (Fly Little White Dove, Fly) originally do Stay Awhile? Remember The Bells from Montreal? Jackie Ralph was the sexy lead singer. I remember hearing when I was very young that she appeared in Playboy. Don't know if that happened or not...Do you remember Moody Manitoba Morning? And I like it that way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.