Favorite speakers you've ever owned

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FulhamTarheel, Jun 10, 2020.

1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

3-way PA-type speakers I built for myself in college. As I've posted in other threads, 117 dB in my dorm room playing Rush "Signals" from a little NAD 3020, what a gutsy little amp. The next year a crazy Texan roommate bought a Carver pro touring amp to play even louder...so when I graduated, I sold him the speakers to continue the reign of terror. (The terror was not that we really played loud very often, it was the fear of it. Later we found out when we were at class the Resident Advisor would master-key into our room and blast away, no doubt earning us hate points with our fellow residents)

Echoes Myron, Rick58 and pdxway like this.
  2. audioguy666

audioguy666 New Member

Joseph RM25XL and Magnepan LRS

Rick58 and timind like this.
  3. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Linn Sara 9 Isobariks
    Goodmans Ministers
    Alternate Audio custom Planars
    Tannoy 609 Dual Concentrics

4. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

This will be a bit of an odd answer, my best isn't my favorite choice. First of all my speakers are nowhere near as high end as many of the ones mentioned here. I am very pleased with my current SVS Ultra Towers and for now I like their sound the best. But I would have to say my favorite speakers were my Larger Advents. I had a single pair and then 2 pair and for a while a third pair. The third pair was too much of a good thing for my relatively small listening room, and they were moved out to the Living Room. In 2016 after 40 years I felt it was time to move on, technology had advanced etc. I gave the Advents good homes and settled in with my Ultra Towers. Though I do like the overall sound a little better and the soundstage blows the Advents away, I list the Advents as my favorites because they were able to please me for 40 years. When I decided to get a TT and get back into vinyl in 2016 I also decided to explore new speaker options. I have had the SVS for "only" 4 years. We'll see how long the Ultra Towers will keep me happy and then we'll speak again.

Echoes Myron, Rick58 and timind like this.
  5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

By a mile best speaker and still own them. Revel Performa M22. The special mid-bass speaker is now starting at $4K in the Revel line. The mid-bass is so accurate Revel has not change it since 2005 and apparently cannot better it.

Tim 2, Rick58 and timind like this.
  6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Yes, Spendor is hard to outperform.

7. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I agree Klipsch Forte are bad news. I tried everything to improve the Forte. Titanium midrange, high-end crossovers, silver wire, etc. They just 'sling mud'. Lucky I sold them for $1100 and just barely got my money back. The speakers before upgrades cost me $200.

8. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

For the past few years or so it has been a pair of Bozak B-401 Rhapsody. I got a garage sale got $30 -$40.

9. Gie663

Gie663 Forum Resident

All my speakers were my favourites at the time !
    As far as my memory can reach and my purse could provide :

Jamo D165 (ok)
    Tannoy Mercury MX3 (very nice)
    JM Lab Focal Profile 928 (really serious listening started here)

Now : Sonus Faber Olympica 2 (Wow !)

Tim 2, Rick58 and Saint Johnny like this.
  10. Audionut614

Audionut614 Forum Resident

Had Apogee Acoustics Calipers ribbon speakers...LOVED them...then the ribbons started to become unglued, so bought a pair of Quad 2905's...man I loved those speakers. The best sound quality I've ever had .. have never heard more detail, staging, realism... then a transformer blew after about 11 years...had it repaired, but it just never seemed to be the same...sold them, and decided to get some box speakers for a change ;) and got Legacy Focus SE...incredible speakers as well in their own way.. very satisfied..

Rick58 and doctor fuse like this.
  11. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

JBL 4429s.

I thought listening was engaging and enjoyable when I owned them.

When I moved (house to downtown apt.), I didn’t think they met the decor, and may have had more bass thump than I wanted in this circumstance.

They were replaced with ATC scm19 v2s and a set of Focal Utopia headphones. Perfect for my place, but I’d admit the listening pleasure has lessened. I probably should have waited until someone expressed displeasure, but I try to be conscientious.
    Not to disparage either piece; just an honest overall opinion. Basically “live music vs. live in-studio” sounds.

If I could reverse my Lockdown audio activities...I probably would. As a kid who used to acquire boxes of Maxell cassettes with my lawn mowing funds, how can you (I) resist the JBL L-100 Classic?

Fruff’s (This forum) enthusiasm is inspirational!

12. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

Interesting. I have jbl 4367. and I plan on switching to atc as well, specifically the atc scm150. funny how our experiences with brands line up with each other.

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Magneplanar Tympani 1D - 3 part folding screens. They sounded magnificent from an Audio Research D79. When I had those, attending the local Hi-Fi shows became a disappointment as nothing, however exotic, sounded as good.

14. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The best set I have ever owned are my Snell CIIs which I purchased new in 1987.

I really like these speakers, even though I've definitely heard better. Perhaps one of these days a pair of Sonus Fabres might convince me to upgrade. But at ~10X the price of my Snells, I can't afford a set.

timind likes this.
  15. Stereolove

Stereolove Forum Resident

I am considering purchasing the D7.2. Are you using a subwoofer in conjunction with these speakers? I’ve heard there a little thin at the bottom-end, and can be harsh. Is this fact or rumour? I’m pairing them with a Marantz PM14S1, which has a lovely warm sound to it.

16. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  17. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

The D7.2s are definitely not lacking in bottom end. They punch well above their weight and you will be surprised how low they can go when you place a bass heavy track.

They are a tad on the bright side early days but they take a LOT of running in. My dealer told me that the original D7s did err on the bright side but that this was resolved with the 7.2. The sound changes and evens out over time. If you amp has a warm sound then they will really sing. There is a great thread on here regarding the D7s with lots of info.

18. PhilinSC

PhilinSC Forum Resident

In alphabetical order, owned for at least a year:
    Acoustat 3, New Large Advent, Boston Vr-M60, Cizek One, Dahlquist DQ-10,
    Q Acoustics Concept 40, Spica TC-50.... + countless others that didn't make the cut.

Of all, the Spica's were the most fun. Not perfect, but my, what they did well, they were unmatched, especially with a good front end. Most smiles per dollar out of any of them. Sold, as I've been known for some dumb a$$ decisions over the years.

The Q Acoustics will be staying for awhile. I'm learning.

timind, bhazen and Echoes Myron like this.
  19. JCMusika

JCMusika Well-Known Member

Dunlavy SC4, then scaled down to Omega Super3 with Alnico, then finally Kef Ls50..

Echoes Myron likes this.
  20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

too bad. i might have kept mine, missed out on the 7.2 by a week and the 7s were too bright long term because of a lack of midbass. with the right recordings they were breathtaking.

xfilian likes this.
  21. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

My JBL 4311 Studio Monitors...had them for 30 years...my hearing ain’t what it use to be so I decided they should go to a new home. No regrets. They provided me with many years of listening enjoyment.

22. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

TAD E1s
    Stunning speakers.
    Far more than I ever wanted to spend, even 2nd hand, but once heard I had to have them
    With upgrades to the system they sound even better now 2-3 years later

timind likes this.
  23. pmh200111

pmh200111 Well-Known Member

B&W DM17 limited edition
    Harbeth Compact 7ES3

and top of the list -

Harbeth Super Hl5 Plus.

24. siebrand

siebrand music lover

well, my favorite speakers are my current AudioSonica Stonefly, they are really fantastic and I presume they will stay in my house for a very long time.

But ... 40 years ago I bought the KEF, Calinda model.
    Those with the passive radiator ... I remember the lows (not bad at all) a valid mid range and the tweeters that did a good job.

I had them for about ten/twelfe years, then I replaced them with the Ruark Talismann 2.
    Obviously they were better in everything, but I remained fond of the KEF and I still think about them now with great pleasure.
    Now they are in some of my nephews home and they still work very well.

But do you think about it? 40 years of service !!! great purchase, when i take them ...

[​IMG]

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  25. BZ58

BZ58 Forum Resident

My favorites are the ones I now have. Ascend Acoustics towers with RAAL. I’ve had them for a couple months now. I love how they sound! And they look nice!

heavysoul likes this.