Favorite Stanley Kubrick Film Poll

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Denim Chicken, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Hyacinth House

Hyacinth House Forum Resident

Dr. Strangelove is my favorite, but I think 2001 is Kubrick’s best film by a wide margin.

2. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

An extremely tough choice between A Clockwork orange, 2001, and Dr. Strangelove, but I ended up picking the latter

3. CDFanatic

CDFanatic Forum Resident

I agree. But because I could only pick one, I picked 2001. But it's actually a tie between 2001 & Strangelove. Whenever I watch Strangelove it's my favorite movie.

4. Ed the Dog

Ed the Dog Forum Resident

I chose Dr. Strangelove an' I don't care if it harelips every body on Bear Creek.

To be fair I'm seduced by 2001, too, but I've only seen his most popular films.

5. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

This

Denim Chicken and pscreed like this.
  6. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

It's great. They reprinted the toilet instructions, and I removed that page and mounted it next to my throne in college.

Denim Chicken, pscreed and HGN2001 like this.
  7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

^Wow. I did the same thing at work years ago.

Denim Chicken and pscreed like this.
  8. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

2001 A Space Odyssey. (2) the shining 3) barry lyndon 4) paths of glory 5) the killing)

Denim Chicken likes this.
  9. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

Oh hell..pretty hairy decision...but essencetially - Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

10. CDFanatic

CDFanatic Forum Resident

Highly recommended. A fantastic book.

11. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

The correct answer is all of them but if you must choose one for me it’s Dr. Strangelove. Partly because I saw it first growing up and the effect it had on me was incredible. Then I quickly sought out the others which did the same.

HaileyMcComet and Denim Chicken like this.
  12. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Paths Of Glory is in my All Time Top 5.
    2001, Lolita, Eyes Wide Shut - a draw for #2 favorite Kubrick.
    Barry Lyndon #5.

13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Always like to mention this scene in ' A Clockwork Orange ':
    When Alex goes to the record store there are a number of albums on display. One is the ' 2001 ' soundtrack and another is ' Magical Mystery Tour '

14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

My vote goes to Shining, but I'm not a huge fan of Kubrick. I get hung up on editing and style choices he makes, but there's no denying he's a great director.

15. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

It's whichever one I most recently watched (again).

16. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

This is a close tie between 2001 and Clockwork Orange for me. I gave my nod to CO because I've watched this so often and it never fails to impress me with the combination of classical music and violence. Besides, there's lots to think about in this film. Truly amazing.

17. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

You summed up my feelings - so hard to pick a favorite but 2001 and A Clockwork Orange (with Strangelove right behind) are the ones I revisit the most, but CO gets my nod for the very reasons you expressed... so thank you!

Meanwhile, nice to see the votes for Barry Lyndon as I love it as well and it's been ages since I've watched... that will be be rectified within the next couple of days.

18. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I actually watched Barry Lyndon for the first time just a week ago, loved it!

19. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Man, this is tough. The man made one one of the best sci-fi films ever with 2001, one of the best horror movies with The Shining, and a few great war flicks.

I went with A Clockwork Orange—a trippy, terrifying, nearly proto-punk take on sci-fi.

HaileyMcComet and Denim Chicken like this.
  20. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

When I went to see the rock group Sons Of Apollo in NYC a few months ago, they played the theme of Barry Lyndon before the show over the PA.

ConnieGuitar and Denim Chicken like this.
  21. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Dr. Strangelove.

22. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

I just watched 2001 again last night. In the age of computer animation superheroes, I was impressed by how this movie from 1968 not only holds up, but looks better than today's visual effects.

I also could not help but notice that in the year 2001, Pan Am will be flying people to the moon, Bell Telephone will have video phones, Howard Johnson's will have restaurants in space, IBM will provide all the computer hardware, and the cold war will still be going strong.

23. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I do wonder if that's because Kubrick's team built sets, models and miniatures, and then lit and shot them meticulously. Gives them more depth and realism than a computer rendering.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

"A Clockwork Orange" is my favorite of his, but "2001", "Strangelove" and "The Shining" are all standouts.

Denim Chicken and HaileyMcComet like this.
  25. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

One is also my avatar.