Favourite version of "Without You" - Badfinger or Nilsson?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

^^THIS^^

BeatlesObsessive and unclefred like this.
  2. JOSERENATO

JOSERENATO Forum Resident

Badfinger, for me.

abzach likes this.
  3. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I'm a huge Badfinger fan, but Harry OWNS that song. The band knew it, too.

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Listen to interview done with
    Harry @ 15:00 mark

oboogie and unclefred like this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Badfinger version is nice, but I grew up with the Nilsson version. And his over-the-top vocal arrangement and syrupy strings are what Mariah Carey used. Mariah's version has sold a zillion copies and people continue to buy it and cover it. All of which means that the families of Pete and Tom, having resolved their disputes, get a little (or maybe a lot, I'm not sure) of cash every year. So, that's one nice thing about the song.

GoodKitty, cmcintyre, Bern and 2 others like this.
  6. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Yes I am young.
    I was 9 or 10 when it came out.
    I don't remember either version on the radio ever but I was not listening to the radio until a couple/few years later. It was not played on rock radio in the late 70s.

7. Nilsson

audiomixer and longdist01 like this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Pete Ham, with a Harry Nilsson button.​

GoodKitty, botfinger, oboogie and 2 others like this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

H E A R T

10. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Nilsson's demo is my preferred version

boggs likes this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'd think they noticed that and obviously felt it sounded good that way otherwise that could have just slowed down the tape a bit. but it is a bit startling the way he just falls slightly flat of that note on , "live" and "give". It sounds like he comes closer on the second chorus. Far as your take on Pete's vocal delivery and the reasoning behind it, perfectly said. Many of Pete's songs and the way he sings them seem to have an innate natural sadness...almost as if he had a long standing life-sadness within him that poured out in his performances of his music. But as you say, great voice...very emotional.

12. John54

John54 Senior Member

Nilsson. I heard his first, and I usually like the one I hear first, although not always. Actually I had no idea it was a Badfinger song until a few years back, and I've been passingly familiar with them since Maybe Tomorrow by the Iveys (which I love, by the way).

I think it's the way Badfinger shortens "can't live" that differentiates the two versions the most and tips it in favour of Nilsson.

old45s and longdist01 like this.
  13. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

I'm saddened at your mindset.

rednoise likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Pretty faithful to Nilsson’s version, with the expected vocal acrobatics at the end. It’s somehow less “schmaltzy” sounding when sung by a woman. In her early 20’s, before the glitz, the implants and the diva mindset, Carey was a great vocalist - like a great audio system, she had a wide dynamic range and could handle difficult passages with headroom to spare. A good female vocalist should cover Eric Carmen’s “All By Myself” - I might actually like it.

It’s the second chorus, where the strings build and Nilsson sings wayyy up high “I can’t liiiiiiiiivvveeee . . .” that probably seals the deal for the general public.

GoodKitty, forthlin and longdist01 like this.
  15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yeah Mariah in the early 90's was great. "Dreamlover" was a favourite back then. So cute

16. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

For once, the market was right. Nilsson owns the song.
    Mariah Carey's version isn't bad either, but it's also a note-for-note copy of Nilsson's version.

longdist01 likes this.
  17. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

18. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Mariah
    never liked Nilsson's version
    Badfinger`s original is ok I guess, but not very exciting

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I disagree with Badfinger! :)

Bern likes this.
  20. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Ah but who was better, Carey or Dion? For me, My Heart Will Go On is right up there with You Take Me Up, Lady In Red and The Power Of Love et al in the subject of crimes against music!

21. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I love Badfinger's version and love Badfinger in general, and I'll almost always go with the original version of any song anyway...but I still have to give it to Nilsson. He just captured something on that one. There's magic there and the chorus is devastating. His version is classic.

GoodKitty and longdist01 like this.
  22. The word "turgid" comes to my mind, but "garment-rending bombast" works too. I picture a stout opera singer type huffing and puffing as his face turns red and buttons pop off his shirt.

carlwm likes this.
  23. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

1. Nilsson
    2. Badfinger's demo
    3. Badfinger

Clearly Nilsson listened to Badfinger's demo before coming up with his arrangement. Badfinger's released version is a bit monotonous compared to Nilsson's.

Harry's recording is definitive and a fantastic single.

Bern and audiomixer like this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yeah, and I prefer “For No One” to “Yesterday“, and “Two of Us” to “The Long and Winding Road”, but the public likes what it likes.

carlwm likes this.
  25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The song wouldn't exist without Badfinger, but for me, Nilsson's version is the definitive one. Pete Ham and Tom Evans should have been set up for life from the royalties, but thanks to dirty dealings and greed from their unscrupulous manager, it ended in tragedy.

forthlin and longdist01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.