Feel like some PRINCE...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ando here, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Lets Go Crazy Prince live Mancester 2014

Purple Jim likes this.
  2. Greenalishi

Hit and Run Phase 2 is just a perfect record. Just got it as well as Musicology. Both rock. I was disappointed with the 3rd eye girl record a little too light. I expected more to it. But, phase 2 is so good. I love some of the live stuff from 14-15. Some of the song arrangements are so stripped down and heavy. Just great stuff. He was so creative all the way through. Pretty amazing really.

3. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I'm completely ignorant concerning Prince's recordings. Is there anything that is instrumentally oriented? A while back I found some great instrumental stuff on YouTube but I believe it is unreleased material. It started out more funk and then went into some jazz/fusion territory which I enjoyed.

Greenalishi and hiterss like this.
  4. Greenalishi

N E W S is one instrumental record.

Its cool.

But impossible to get

I'd kill for a cd of it

Hopefully it will be reissued just impossible to get but its on ypu tube so you can get a taste there

5. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

The Madhouse records (8 & 16) from 1987 are jazz fusion defined. Good stuff - they can be found for sale pretty easily.

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

As well as the Madhouse stuff and N.E.W.S. there were a couple of mostly instrumental albums released through his website:

[​IMG]

Xpectation (2003)
    More funky jazzy recordings.

[​IMG]

C-Note (2004)
    Funky jazzy soundchecks from the One Night Alone tour (plus the essential, amazing "Empty Room" tagged on at the end).

Details:
    Albums: Internet Only - Prince Vault

7. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Go for Madhouse first, IMO. Great stuff.

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

... and the superb Montreux 2009 perforomance of it, with the fantastic, effortless segue* into the beautiful "Elixer":

* Nobody else has ever gone from total, high energy guitar workout to soft, sweet soul/jazz in a single movement like that - live.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Greenalishi likes this.
  10. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Just got the 3121, Musicology, and Planet Earth trilogy on vinyl, at last, to go with Piano and a Microphone. But looking forward to the vinyl Originals most at the end of the month.

Greenalishi likes this.
  11. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

He's a sexy beast on drums in those two albums ... Eric Leeds said can't remember where though

Greenalishi likes this.
  12. Wayne Coyne from the Flaming Lips about Prince, from a recent interview:

The only person Coyne didn’t mind being “all enigmatic” was Prince. “We did a Brit Awards where he was performing. We got the courage to go over and give his bodyguard some of our CDs to give to Prince. We were so thrilled at the possibility of him hearing our music. But at the end of the night, the bodyguard came and found us and handed all the CDs back. He said: ‘Prince doesn’t want these.’ We loved him so much for being too cool for us.”

:biglaugh:

13. ando here

ando here Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cool is relative.

bataclan2002 and CBackley like this.
  14. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

^ that WAS kinda cool, actually :angel:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  15. ando here

[​IMG]
    Bambi (1980, WB)

Don't think Bambi got any airwave play back in 1980 but Ellen let him rock it on national tv 24 years later.

hiterss likes this.
  16. ando here

Turns out, they actually cut it (never aired). Sounds better than the album version, in any case. :p

Live with his band and Sheila E. performing a 3 song medley, circa 2007:

tight!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

18. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

It now says "video not available," but was it an officially released demo version of "I Feel For You"? That is so exciting! A one-off, or teasing another archival release?

19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Perhaps it's locked by timezone? Available here - sounds like a first draft cassette demo.

More here:

20. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I learned a little more from the Prince.org board. I Feel For You (Acoustic Demo) 4:30 . [they're arguing about tape speeds!]

Looks like it's being released as a single b-side on Friday, backing the Prince S/T album-version.

I predict this will mean a vinyl single release for Black Friday RSD.

And it could also mean they're working on deluxe editions of the early years! :)

Mal likes this.
  21. Yeah, I can't hear that schznit yet. Funny, the video mentions the book, and I forgot all about my pre-order, I've been so focused on 1999 and the upcoming Hendrix release. :)

22. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

There is a limited 7" available on Prince.com.
    Pre-order possible for one week, delivery in January 2020.

23. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

And like a schmuck, I pre-ordered immediately. Even though it cost over £25 (Inc shipping) and probably won't reach me in the UK until next Easter.

Oh, and you can be sure that this will be on Volume 2 of Originals.

bataclan2002 and joeislive like this.
  24. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I feel quite relieved that I stopped trying to get all the latest Prince 7" singles. one-sided, free with german magazines, way too expensive, album track as a b-side... I DON'T NEED THEM :)

thekid87 likes this.
  25. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

same here :)

I still collect the cd’s, but stopped buying every vinyl edition :shh:

Freek999 likes this.