Feel like some PRINCE...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ando here, Nov 29, 2017.

1. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Just realized how much P sounds like Sylvester on this one -

The Beautiful Experience (The Most Beautiful Girl In The World) EP
    01. Beautiful 0:00
    02. Staxowax 5:53
    03. Mustang Mix 11:09
    04. Flutestramental 17:29
    05. Sexy Staxaphone And Guitar 21:02
    06. Mustang Instrumental 24:56
    07. The Most Beautiful Girl In The World 28:45

SHOW LESS

2. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

In the mood for this...

bataclan2002 and NickySee like this.
  3. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Talking about Controversy

smokeverbs likes this.
  4. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Since it was referenced in the discussion above I had to post the video dedicated to Sunset Sound engineer, Peggy (Blum) McCreary, who worked with Prince for 7 years during his most prolific period:

Part 2

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    Greenalishi and smokeverbs like this.
  5. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

I remember when I (and a lot other people) thought The Dance Electric, the hit lead track from A.C., was Prince. Bass player and witer, Andre Cymone, did hail from Prince's pre-Revolution band days but he officially did the writing here (but who knows, Prince was known to give away songs to friends). Haven't heard it in ages.

[​IMG]
    A.C. Andre Cymone (1985, Columbia)

6. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

It's been a long time since I've heard "Dance Electric," but yes, it does sound, for all the world, like a Prince song, right down to the guitar stylings and drum programming. But also, the melody and hook are distinctly Prince-like.

The vocal delivery lacks the charisma and panache of Prince at his best, but I'm imagining Prince singing this in my head, and it sounds like a stone cold classic. Great song. Thanks for putting this back on my radar.

Listening to the rest of the album now, and while "Dance Electric" is the standout so far, the other songs are quite good, as well. What a great lost gem of an album. Thanks again.

NickySee likes this.
  7. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

I’m probably reading it wrong, but it seems like you both think that Andre Cymone wrote The Dance Electric. Prince wrote that song, played all the instruments (including bass) and Lisa, Wendy and Jill did the background vocals: The Dance Electric - Prince Vault
    Even the official record says it’s written by Prince, like on this 12” from 1985:

[​IMG]

… and why would you ‘imagine’ Prince singing this song? In 2017 Prince’s version was officially released on Purple Rain DE.

Great song, btw :righton:

8. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

No, I did not know (or remember maybe) that the song was written (and musically accompanied) by Prince and co. Thanks for clearing that up.

No wonder! Guess you can tell how long it's been since I listened to the Purple Rain DE. Loved the songs on there, but it was so brickwalled, it was painful to listen to. It sits on my shelf collecting dust.

I can't wait until WB does a new expanded SDE box mastered by Bernie Grundman. That is on the top of my Prince want list. Hopefully it will happen in another two years. Fingers crossed.

NickySee and thekid87 like this.
  9. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I think Dance Electric rhythm loop eventually evolved in to Mountains

10. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Indeed. Looks more like a collab production (Prince’s input to get the album off and running) but Cymone did much of the lifting for A.C. For a while it seemed everything Mr. Nelson touched turned to hits!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Izozeles and thekid87 like this.
  11. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Remember this one? Another Prince sounding smash.

[​IMG]
    Jesse Johnson’s Revue (1985, A&M)

This style of funk was relegated to The Time but Prince wrote most of their material. And, unless someone has proof to the contrary, Johnson wrote all the songs here, including the hits, I Want To Be Your Man and Can You Help Me.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  12. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I watched the love symbol video album recently and thought it was great.

bataclan2002, NickySee and thekid87 like this.
  13. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Happy BDay Prince!

[​IMG]

This Prince exhibit which just opened in Chicago looks cool -

April Snow and opiumden like this.
  14. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Chris McBride band putting down 777-9311 (The Time/Prince) properly -

Incidentally, Prince played live hihats and cymbals over the programed Linn LM-1 beat for The Time recording. All live here.

15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Everything else on A.C. is written and produced by André. The story about "Dance Electric" being on there is that André's mother asked P. for a song (as André was too proud to do so), and maybe P. also felt he should do it to make up for having taken credit for some of André's musical contributions (most notably "Do Me, Baby" which was André's song).

Are you sure about that? The hi-hat seems to be part of the programmed pattern.

NickySee likes this.
  16. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

So legend has it. No one will ever really know but Prince. :)

17. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Stumbled into a great doc on prince. I've never seen or heard much of the footage. Looks like it's only up for certain period.

18. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Felt like hearing the Batman (1989) soundtrack including the original Danny Elfman score. Elfman:

"There was a period where the producers wanted me to co-write a score with Prince, and I just wasn't willing to do it. I knew what the score was, and as much as I love Prince's music, I didn't feel that his score was going to be the right score sound for the Batman movie. And so, I had to walk away and let that play out, and then got invited back in again."

Elfman confesses that he “did go through a period of time where I just felt like I'd walked away from the greatest opportunity of my life due to my own stubbornness,” even though “it ended up coming back around and becoming something that helped really define who I was. But it was a gamble that I wouldn't advise young composers easily. … You never want to encourage somebody to hold out for something that ruins their career. But at that moment, I was willing to ruin my career. It's like I had a great luxury that many composers don't have, which was a ‘f***it’ attitude towards everything. And I still felt at that point, ‘If they don't like it, f*** it.’ And it just came out of my post-punk upbringing, but it's not an attitude that I think is necessarily a healthy one for people to take into their careers. It's just that worked to my advantage.” - yahoo entertainment

Batman (1989, Elfman/Prince)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  19. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

From the Minnesota Black Music Awards 40th Anniversary
    They showed some footage from the June 8th, 1984 (not 1983) awards show. Morris Day had already quit The Time and Jesse was singing lead vocals... until Prince showed up :goodie:

"this is not my job..."

Freek999, bataclan2002 and NickySee like this.
  20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I thought it was rhythm pattern that came pre-programmed in the Linn drum machine (created by David Garibaldi), so anyone that has one would know…?

21. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

22. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Over my head. :cool:

23. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The Time The Time (1981, Warner Bros.)
    Produced by Morros Day and Jamie Starr (if U have 2 ask you'll never know)

April Snow and Izozeles like this.
  24. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Live medley. Prince & his band jammin -

bataclan2002 likes this.
  25. Rick220

Rick220 Forum Accident

Didn’t know this thread existed. Cool!

Mentioned a few posts back is Jesse Johnson, so I’m hoping this is ok. In 1988 Johnson - previously of The Time - went full Prince emulation mode with Every Shade of Love.
    On the album he actually worked with Susan Rogers and Clare Fisher.
    It sort of disappeared from the radar, but I still kinda like it.
    In the opening track, Love Struck, at around the 3;30 mark, Johnson asks ‘Susan (Rogers), turn the guitar up a little bit’, and delivers a truly blistering solo. It’s a fun track for Prince afficionados.