Fifth Dimension help req

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gappleton, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gappleton

Gappleton Forum Resident Thread Starter

After reciently hearing a couple of long forgotten Fifth Dimension and Laura Nyro tracks I have come to realise just how good they were and how big a hole there is in my collection.

Before I start to part with my money what I really need from all you aficionados out there is :-

1. What, in your oppinion, are the definitive Fifth Dimension albums?

2. What, in your oppinion, are the best recordings of them?

Thanks, in anticipation,

Gordon

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The best current compilation is the 2-CD set Up Up and Away: The Definitive Collection. It's by far the most complete (for some reason, the single-CD best-ofs all like to omit "If I Could Reach You," one of my favorite Fifth Dimension songs and their last big hit).

3. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

This might raise a few eyebrows, but my favourite track by them is not on any album. It's their recording of "Surrender", released as a 12" and 7" single on the Sutra label in the early 80s. IIRC, this was their entire output for that decade.

The 7" also has a nice version of EW&F's "Fantasy" on the b-side.

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Just last week I obtained a mint first pressing LP of "The Age of Aquarius" on the Soul City label and was blown away by their great sound. It helps to have studio players like Hal Blaine, Joe Osborne, Tommy Tedesco, and Larry Knechtel.
    Also.... another Bones Howe first rate production.

JMO.

BC

5. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Nyro

Don't forget to get those Laura Nyro discs as well. There are some great ones out there. I recommend "Eli..." "NY Tendaberry" and "Gonna Take a Miracle" w/ Labelle to start. There is also a nice tribute disc of her stuff to be had; all female artists covering Laura's stuff. A wonderful musician and well ahead of her time IMO. Her death in '97 was a great loss.

Peace
    Norm

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Don't forget THE FIRST SONGS, a Columbia reissue of her only Verve Lp from 1966(the Lp was issued in 1973). Some of her best work is on this one, including one of her few chart singles(and first), the famous "Wedding Bell Blues" not coincidentally a #1 hit in '69 for the 5th Dimension.

ED:cool:

7. Gappleton

Thanks Folks

Thanks Folks,

Much food for thought , or should that be the ears, in your replies.

I think I will hit Amazon later!

Regards, from a very wet Southampton (UK)

Gordon

8. Evan

Evan Senior Member

An associate of mine in graduate school bought a copy for my birthday gift as a joke. I think he paid a dollar. The joke was on him. It's a great sounding LP! If you can find a copy, get it.

9. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

The best albums are IMO the first two - UP UP AND AWAY, and THE MAGIC GARDEN.

Why? Because they have some of Jimmy Webb's best songwriting and they are masterfully produced. Simply wonderful!!

I guess these came out on Buddha. Anyone want to chip in with comments?

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm pretty happy with the Rhino collection. Other than that, I just have the "Portrait" CD on Buddah.

11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

All of the 5th Dimension Lp and 45 vinyl is fairly common, just a matter of finding clean copies. Sometimes having no intrinsic collector's value can be great...for collectors! UP UP AND AWAY also has a mono edition fans would do well to track down.

ED:cool:

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Thanks for the tip!:)

Actually, I've had the "Portrait" LP on Bell Records since 1973, and I am not impressed by the sound of that vinyl. As I recall, the Soul City and Bell 45s used cheap vinyl or polystyrene. The ones pressed by RCA were the worst! RCA pressed some shoddy 45s back in those days!

The only manufacturers I can think of who made worse 45s than RCA was MCA/Universal! And, those were usually horribly warped!

13. Gappleton

Thank You All

Many thanks for all your input.

I managed to find The Very Best Of The Fifth Dimension CD in the bargain bin of a local record store. It's on Camden Originals and the quality seems OK at a cursory first skim through.

I am now looking forwards to blasting it out later at home with the aid of a large scotch.

Once again Thanks Folks,

Gordon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.