Film Director, Nicolas Roeg, has died aged 90

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by johnnyyen, Nov 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Oh, go on then!

Ristorante Roma, where John and Laura Baxter first meet the two weird sisters. The jetty outside is where the ambulance boat takes Laura away after her collapse:

[​IMG]

Santa Maria dei Miracoli. John passes over this bridge on one of his solo walks. In Orson Welles’s Othello, Othello marries Desdemona in this same church:

[​IMG]

Palazzo Grimani. John chases the dwarf through this gateway to his final doom:

[​IMG]

Ponte della Piova. The first victim is fished out of the water here:

[​IMG]

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

A special "thanks you" to Mr Roeg for hiring Kate Bush to record Be Kind To My Mistakes for his film Castaway.

johnnyyen and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. stepeanut

San Nicolò dei Mendicoli. In the film, this is the church that John is restoring, and where he has his fall from the scaffolding:

[​IMG]

Hotel la Fenice et des Artistes. This is the sisters’ second hotel:

[​IMG]

And from another angle. Laura chases the dwarf through the entrance to the left:

[​IMG]

Hotel Bauer, where the famous sex scene was filmed:

[​IMG]

4. stepeanut

San Stae, where John’s funeral takes place:

[​IMG]

And from another angle, showing the steps where the funeral procession arrives:

[​IMG]

Hotel Gabrielli, where the Baxters stay:

[​IMG]

There are more that I could add, bridges and other locations that are seen briefly in the film, but these are the most interesting.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Jim B., Carl LaFong, Mylene and 4 others like this.
  5. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member Thread Starter

Excellent Stepeanut. Was there a guide you followed for the locations? I’ve often wondered if there’s one for Death In Venice.

stepeanut likes this.
  6. stepeanut

I searched several film location websites, and made notes before we left. No one site had all the information, and one or two gave misinformation on specific locations, so it wasn’t always easy.

This is the Fondamenta San Cristoforo, which is very close to the Hotel la Fenice et des Artistes. John is seen, briefly, running over this bridge, but, because it was misidentified, it was a bugger to find. In the end, I think we stumbled across it by accident.

[​IMG]

7. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Eureka, Witches, Track 29 and Cold Heaven all have some real mind bending moments.
    Great, great film maker

johnnyyen likes this.
  8. That's insane...

johnnyyen likes this.
  9. RIP to a Master

Once seen, never forgotten, is how I would sum up his oeuvre.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    johnnyyen likes this.
  10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Graham and johnnyyen like this.
  11. jojopuppyfish

johnnyyen likes this.
  12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

A unique talent. Sad to see he has left us.

13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

He also was cinematographer for parts of Dr. Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

One of my favorites. Hopefully 'Track 29' gets the home video release it deserves.

15. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

He also, oddly enough, did the music videos and screen films for Roger Waters' Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking album and tour. Not sure how they got together on that. RIP.

16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Style and substance. A true master of the medium.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Hard to top that. Dr. Zhivago is probably my favorite movie for cinematography.

johnnyyen likes this.
  18. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

[​IMG]
    Bad Timing's use of Tom Waits' Invitation To The Blues in the opening is superb.

Roeg lit Julie Christie many times before directing her in Don't Look Now.
    Truffaut's Fahrenheit 451
    Schlesinger's Far From The Madding Crowd
    Lester's Petulia
    Lean's Doctor Zhivago

[​IMG]
    Often wonder did Donald Sutherland and Jenny Agutter ever discuss their working with him (1973, 1971) on breaks on The Eagle Has Landed.

19. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Roeg was also cinematographer on the "Glastonbury Fayre" film. Robert Wyatt wrote the music for his "Rock Bottom" lp while staying in Venice with his partner Alfreda Benge, who was working on "Don't Look Now", and had also worked on the Glastonbury movie.
    Coincidence? I don't care, RIP.

20. jojopuppyfish

He was a 2nd unit director on Lawrence Arabia. Not the main Cinematographer.

21. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

It was Roeg and Boorman that I could depend on to produce different and interesting films. Followed their careers starting in the 70s.

Some of Roeg's films are seemingly lost. Cold Heaven doesn't even have a DVD release as far as I know, I had that one on LaserDisc. I love that film. I recently saw Track 29 again, I think on Prime.

I also liked Eureka, which is also seemingly lost.

While Walkabout is great, and looks great on blu-ray, Don't Look Now is a masterpiece. The scariest movie ever made as far as I am concerned. Tremendous atmosphere.

He biggest problem was the over use of Theresa Russell, I found her annoying and don't think she was a very good actress. Thankfully he didn't use her in Don't Look Now.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just watched "Performance." Now I know why Guy Ritchie ran out of steam after two crime movies.... he couldn't copy "Performance" anymore!

johnnyyen and alexpop like this.
  23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Sad to hear.

90 is a great run though.

RIP!!!!

24. stepeanut

It is available on BD via Twilight Time in the U.S. (on sale at $14.95 right now), and via Masters of Cinema in the U.K.

There was little chance of that. Russell was just 15 years old at the time of production — hardly suitable for the role of a grieving mother — and yet to either meet Roeg or start her film career.

johnnyyen likes this.
  25. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member Thread Starter

The Masters of Cinema blu ray of Eureka is superb. Region B, and only £9.99.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Graham and stepeanut like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.