Filmogs shutting down - are there other online DVD/Blu-Ray databases online?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MerseyBeatle, Aug 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012) Thread Starter

I use Discogs everyday and I only just started using Filmogs to enter my DVD's and Blu-Rays. Well, today I got this email that Filmogs (and Bookogs) are shutting down at the end of August 2020. From what I could see, the site was very light on entries and the data fields were lacking. Why they didn't just reapply what they have with Discogs to Filmogs is beyond me, but I'm not a database manger so I don't know.

I started entering my film collection and now I need to find another source. I have most on a Google Sheets spreadsheet, but as I like Discogs, I was ready to like Filmogs. So, what database site do y'all use?

Here's a copy of their email:

Dear Filmogs Community,

We will be shutting down Filmogs on August 31, 2020. This was not an easy decision, but we have not been able to give this project the attention and focus that it needs to prosper. At the same time, there are still many opportunities and things to improve on Discogs, so we will be putting all of our focus on Discogs.

Thank you for your contributions to and support for this project over the past six years. During that time we’ve had over 50,000 films submitted and 13,000 registered users.

We will be preserving the data. Our monthly data exports are still available, so please download the latest if you would like to have your own copy of the data. We will also be storing the last export on archive.org, with images. If you would like a JSON-format export of your own contributions and your Collection and Wantlist, please fill out this export request form and we will send it to you once it is ready.

If you have any questions please contact us at [email protected].

Thanks again for your support.

Kevin Lewandowski & The Discogs Team

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

DVDProfiler is not free, but they have a nice app for IOS & Android that also can be viewed on your PC with limited features...the phone app is a few bucks and worth every cent!

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

1st time I've ever heard of Filmogs???? :shrug:

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Never even heard of Filmogs and Bookogs until now.

5. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Ditto, only heard of Gearogs, which is also closing, seems they want to focus all attention on Discogs.

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Not surprising that Gearogs is shutting down, but I don’t even know what Gearogs is.

MerseyBeatle and sound chaser like this.
  7. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

If I remember correctly it was for general audio equipment, I tried submitting stuff but it was beyond convoluted, I just gave up :).

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, me too...

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Aww, Comicogs shut down as well; I had high hopes of getting around to doing something with that one...eventually :cry:
    (which, I'm guessing, is probably the whole issue with these other databasing services - lack of user commitment).
    I'd thought, with the success of Discogs, it was a logical move, taking the gameplan into other disciplines.

10. MerseyBeatle

My thoughts exactly. They could have built off what they already have in Discogs. They never launched a marketplace for movies, which might have made a difference in getting user participation. Also, they never cross-marketed the other “ogs” with Discogs. For example on say the Discogs release page for John Lennon’s ‘Imagine’ album they could have had links to the related DVD’s and books that have been released. To me, they just never capitalized what they already had. Discogs marketplace, despite any flaws, is fast becoming an online alternative to Amazon and eBay. Filmogs seemed like a natural fit for that market.

tin ears and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Good points. I'm a very frequent discogs user (to look up stuff, and also to buy/sell), but never heard of filmogs until now. I would have used it if it was a similar setup with a marketplace.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  12. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Discogs is just old enough and has a big, dependent-enough userbase that people are willing to deal with the convolution in the editorial process... the idea of cataloging all these other forms of media would be much more sustainable if they could roll it all into the main website, but they’ve continually failed to modernize the interface and I guess creating a bunch of sub-sites most people will never see was easier than finding some way to integrate them in an elegant fashion

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  13. MerseyBeatle

Right. Thousands (millions?) of users on Discogs and yet most have never heard of Filmogs. The only reference you’ll find to it, and the other related sites, is way down at the bottom of a Discogs page under “More Databases”. Another thing they never did with Filmogs is set up the search engine optimization. Ever searched for an album or recording artist on Google? Discogs is typically in the top three results. Search for a movie or DVD and Filmogs is nowhere to be found. IMDB, Amazon etc. all come up. Hate to use the worn out forum cliche, but this is a missed opportunity.

14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Collectorz.com

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Don't want to upset anyone but I'm glad those other sites are closing down as it means there's a slight improvement in our chances that Discogs will finally get around to implementing some of the changes users have been asking on a weekly basis for many years.

Gumboo and MerseyBeatle like this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What changes are that ?

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Ability to block sellers, numerous changes to the wantlist email like filtering for condition, price, location..these come up every week just about.

I know sellers have asked for changes as well but since I don't sell on there I don't really to pay attention too much to that side of things.

Of course the danger with them having more time to develop the discogs site is that they continue to ignore user requests and come up with their own ideas as to what should be improved like the new automatic shipping policy they are going with in a few months to help facilitate automatic invoicing for buyers, which has annoyed anyone in a country with a postal system that is more complex than one having a flat rate to deliver anywhere within the country.

But we can hope :)

As for the other og sites, I thought they were a good idea. I was going to catalogue the few dvds and blurays eventually as well as my books. I just never got around to it.

MerseyBeatle and alexpop like this.
  18. townsend

townsend Senior Member

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  19. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

This is the first I've heard of this. I've been thinking for awhile a database for sellers like Discogs would be great. There it was. I imagine most people were not aware of it. There's still plenty of people unaware of Discogs.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  20. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I remember when they launched all the Ogs sites - they were pretty dodgy from the outset and never seemed to catch on. The Filmogs DB was pretty weak as a result.

It doesn't do selling or cataloging, but I find the Letterboxd site to be pretty fun. They have a tremendous database of films and there are lots of thoughtful reviewers there, some pro and some, like me, rank amateurs. I've been using it to maintain a film diary for the last few years. It desperately needs a discussion forum but that might just be my old fogey impression. The upside though is that it has international participation so I have discovered many films that I had never heard of before and really enjoyed. Again, not for cataloging really but for film buffs, a fun place to commune with the wild world of celluloid.

jlocke08 and MerseyBeatle like this.
  21. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I've used DVD Profiler for over 10 years. I own over 7000 movies. The program is worth every penny. Upgrades are free for life.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've used Film Aficianado (filmaf.com) for many years, but they were supposedly going to be shutting down at the end of July... the site still seems to be working, though, so I have no idea what's going on with them.

MerseyBeatle and bmasters9 like this.
  23. MerseyBeatle

The more I think about it and the more I keep hearing of other film database sites shutting down, the better my Google Sheets spreadsheet is looking. I’ve added most of my movies to it and it’s fine for when I’m out shopping for used discs and want to look up to see if I have something. I’ve entered stuff into other databases before only to have them close down and I’m left having to do it all over again.

24. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I vaguely remember Filmogs starting up. I just looked for it, because I was curious about how many releases were out there that had the original 1954 Godzilla movie. Bam, gone, too bad. Definitely a market there I think.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  25. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I know it's long gone now but Bookogs??? Was Bibliogs too confusing a name for them? Surely anyone who collects books and publications knows its not a bookography.

Minor nit-picky rant over.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.