Films Made Or Set In Your Hometown

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jeff Kent, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grumpy Old Men
    Purple Rain
    That was Then, This is Now

There are quite a few to be honest. Not shot directly in my home town, but certainly in the very nearby surrounding areas.

2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I always thought it was funny where the cops were chasing the spaceship and came to a big cliff.
    ARE there any big cliffs or lots of topography in Muncie?

3. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Four Friends. Shot at my high school (long after I was gone). But it did feature some of my teachers and coaches, and I believe an old girlfriend was in the beach scene.

[​IMG]

Steve Litos likes this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Nnnnope.

They do have a Wendy's...:shrug:

dewey02 likes this.
  5. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I grew up in Yorkshire but was born in S****horpe. The book from which Get Carter was derived was set there and describes recognisable landmarks. Obviously, they moved the action to Newcastle when they made the film but I do quite like the thought of Michael Caine quaffing Bovril on the cantilever stand at the Old Showground.

ianuaditis and The Panda like this.
  6. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Grosse Pointe Blank, though the only shots filmed there are in the beginning and end when he's driving along Lakeshore Drive in Grosse Pointe Farms, right where it turns back into Jefferson Ave.
    The Virgin Suicides
    There's an episode of Northern Exposure set in Grosse Pointe, as one of the characters is from there
    A few episodes of Detroit 187 (awful show) featured a famous house in Grosse Pointe that has a bootlegger's tunnel to the house across the street
    I think something was filmed at the Edsel Ford house in Grosse Pointe Shores, but I don't remember what

Dozens of films were made in Detroit, which is right next door to the Pointes.

rod and Dan C like this.
  7. joefont

joefont Senior Member

In the movie Bullitt, me and a couple of friends watched the filming of the car crash into the old gas station in Brisbane, California

GodShifter and Matt Richardson like this.
  8. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

The film, "Elisabethtown" was actually filmed in Elizabethtown, KY, which is near my home.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

I live in the between the Lower Mainland (Vancouver region) and the Fraser Valley in British Columbia and it seems I can't watch anything without seeing something I recognize. The amount of television shows that shoot here is crazy! Maybe movies too but I don't watch as many as I do TV.
    Some recent(-ish) examples in TV: The Flash, Riverdale, A Million Little Things (gas station near my home), Lucifer (first two seasons), No Tomorrow, Timeless, Reverie, The Crossing, etc.... It's actually a relief to watch a show where I'm not recognizing areas or buildings or streets.
    Some movies: Diary of a Wimpy Kid (restaurant parking lot a few blocks from home), Deadpool (shut down the Georgia Viaduct for a month!)

Here's a website that lists the various productions: What's Filming?

They've been filming something in the green belt park near my house for the last week or so but over the past two days we had a large amount of snow fall. They had lights set up along the pathway and over the river bridge but the whole forest is completely covered in about 15-20 cm of snow! I'm not sure what they're filming but hopefully they have an explanation in their script to explain the sudden appearance of snow!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  10. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

In the 1993 Coneheads movie, Beldar & his family were supposed to be living in my home town of Paramus NJ, but as far as I know none of the film was actually shot there. The film's IMDb page says the high school football scenes were shot on the Paramus High School field, but if that's true, everyone must have been out of town that day cuz no one I knew heard anything about it.

...also, in the interest of accuracy, I must point out that Paramus High School did not have a swimming pool, therefore there was no swim team for daughter Connie Conehead to join, as shown in the film :D

11. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I grew up in Dallas Tx...

And 4 that come to mind are Mars Needs Women w/ Tommy Kirk , Yvonne Craig & Bubbles Cash(1967) Gaaaas! w / Ben Vereen , Cindy Williams , Bud Cort & CJ Fish (1970) & JFK & Talk Radio (81)

On MNW the red brick building where the Martians are supposedly hid out was actually a old fish hatchery & the lake next to it was White Rock Lake , I grew up in that area of Dallas in the 60s...

Also Bubbles Cash was a burlesque dancer who danced at the club shown early in the movie it was called Athens Strip , I got to know Bubbles when I went to work there in the early 1970s

Gaaaas! is a Roger Corman movie that shows parts of Downtown Dallas & areas of the SMU campus...

Country Joe & Fish performed live @ The Cellar club while in town filming so we got to see & hang with the band during their visit...groovy!

JFK was shot in Dealey Plaza where the assassination took place but I can't watch it because my family & myself (who was 12 yrs. old) were on Houston St. approx. 40ft from JFKs vehicle when shots were fired...

Its simply to traumatic for me to view

Talk Radio (1981) w/ Alec Baldwin , Eric Begosian & Rockets Redglare was filmed in KZEW radio station in Dallas , I worked there PT from 1974-1977 & Rockets Redglare is a assoc. of mine who worked as a bouncer for a Dallas club...

When Begosian is shot in the parking lot the area is the upper deck of WFAA communications which is the building KZEW radio was in , you can see the huge red WFAA on tower at end of movie

I now live in Fargo / Moorhead district where some of Fargo was shot but it was mostly filmed in Brainerd MN that is 100 miles east & the flat miles & miles of snow shown in the movie is all very real , as a matter of fact its like that right now

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    GodShifter likes this.
  12. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

There have been a few shot in Wamego, KS, the closest town to where I live.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Mad Max.
    10 minutes up the road!
    [​IMG]

TheVU likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think you win this thread.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. JM Jones

JM Jones Forum Resident

Mansfield, Ohio
    Shawshank Redemption
    I seem to remember Harry and Walter Go To New York being filmed here.
    Some Stallone films, possibly Escape Plan or some such.....

16. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Are the Doctor Blake Mysteries actually shot in Ballarat?

17. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yes! Right in my heart of town. The building scenery is right on!
    We still have some great old buildings and history, one place i like about being here.
    Funny watching it too, seeing familiar backgrounds in a show.
    I must have been under a rock when they filmed, i don't remember them doing it at the time.

SomeCallMeTim and royzak2000 like this.
  18. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

The Pete Postlethwaite/Rachel Griffiths film 'Among Giants' was filmed in and around Sheffield. Weird seeing places I walk the dog and drive past every day on the Big Screen.

Parts of 'Slade In Flame' were filmed here too.

And the latest series of Dr Who of course.

(plus, Threads, When Saturday Comes, The History Boys, The Full Monty....)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Trainspotting was set in my home city of Edinburgh, but ended up being filmed mostly in Glasgow. The sequel was authentic though.

Dan C likes this.
  20. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The 1971 horror film "Let's Scare Jessica to Death" was filmed in Haddam (the cemetery), Chester (ferry and rowboat climax) and Old Saybrook, Connecticut. The current owners of the Gothic mansion do not take kindly to film buffs trespassing on their property. Just saying.

SmallDarkCloud, jwoverho and Ignatius like this.
  21. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Ashley Judd's first movie Ruby In Paradise was filmed in Panama City, FL.

22. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

The El Paso, Texas and Juarez, Mexico area is usually only shown in drug movies like Traffic, Sicario, Man On Fire, and No Country For Old Men. Both cities were also depicted on Glory Road, the Don Haskins movie. Omar Rodriguez Lopez has also filmed a few of his movies here, though I’ve never seen them. Courage Under Fire’s war scenes were filmed out in the desert near a ranch, and I believe there’s scenes from Fandango (1985 movie) filmed here. The Wedding scene from Kill Bill is supposed to be in El Paso as well.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  23. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Oh and how could I forget?! The worst movie of all time was filmed in El Paso. Manos: The Hands Of Fate.

Chris DeVoe and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  24. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

My friends and I heard in the news that the movie "Straight Jacket" was going to be filming in Riverside, CA back in early 1964. So we (four of us) rode our bicycles downtown in the morning they were supposed to be shooting to see if we could see it and maybe some stars. We got there too late, the downtown sequences were already completed. :mad: But seeing those downtown scenes in the movie now really brings back distant memories of how downtown Riverside looked in that much different time.

[​IMG]

Later in 1969 the movie "Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here" was filmed in and around Riverside, including in the Mission Inn.

[​IMG]

25. kch27

kch27 Forum Resident

A fair number of movies have been shot in the Austin area. In the forgotten 1977 film "Outlaw Blues" with Peter Fonda there was a scene that took place along the sidelines at a University of Texas football game. My brother and I were in the crowd, about 20 rows up, and in the film you see a wide shot that shows our section but we're too far away to be seen. So, we were kinda in that movie, loosely speaking!

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.