Films : No one mentions any more?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Sep 5, 2020.

1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I've watched it a few times in recent years. I find it almost prescient with respect to current culture wars around transgendering. Perhaps even causative?

SimonSaysCake likes this.
  2. John B Good

Both are in my little library. And a few weeks ago in a casual conversation about privacy with a 39 year old gardener, he brought The Conversation up. He was as surprised that I knew of it as I was that he did.

fretter likes this.
  3. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

I don't think there's any way to count all the films extant. There's just too many.

a customer likes this.
  4. John B Good

I'm sure you're right. Too many to remember them all.

5. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Sloan in 2006:

She's someone to hear Husker Du with
    And someone to wait in the queues with
    And someone to hate all things new with
    She's someone to watch Gremlins 2 with
    And someone to not watch The View with
    And someone to laugh in the pew with
    And someone I can be true with

HorseyAnn and Mylene like this.
  6. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Midnight Express.

a customer likes this.
  7. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

:edthumbs:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
  8. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Some frank perry movies

1968 the swimmer with burt Lancaster
    1969 last summer Barbara Hershey
    Richard (John boy) Thomas
    He is not a nice guy in this movie and it seems this movie is never shown on any streaming services.

I was just reading that it was Netflix
    But it's not

1971 diary of a mad house wife
    Carrie Snodgrass

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    alexpop, Jack Lord and 64FALCON like this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You would think, as many people there are who "go on out to the lobby"...there would be more intellectual discourse about the intermission film that sings about that.
    Cinephiles are such philistines. :shake:

10. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

@a_customer: LAST SUMMER (1969) was issued on VHS twice; once by the long-gone 'Allied Artists Video Corp.' by Sept. 1979 [when Allied when bankrupt] and then KEY VIDEO in the mid-1980s. 'KEY Video' was a division of 'CBS/Fox Video', btw. (I have a tape of "Last Summer" from Allied; reckon I bought it over 20 years ago from 'Video Oyster' in NYC. A video 'pearl'!).

Never seen a DVD or Blu-Ray release of "Last Summer" and it's been OOP for a long time now. Maybe there's no longer a use-able film print extant?

Frank Perry died quite some time ago; without actually looking it up I believe Perry passed on in 1995 so who knows if he had a personal copy of "Last Summer" and, if he did, then what happened to it?

I believe DIARY OF A MAD HOUSEWIFE, unlike "Last Summer", is easily available now.

a customer likes this.
  11. a customer

I read an article couple years ago that said TCM showed it once or twice.

64FALCON likes this.
  12. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

You spoke of TCM, a_customer, and that reminded me of another movie that has disappeared.

The 1973 UK suspense movie NIGHT WATCH starring Elizabeth Taylor, Laurence Harvey and Billie Whitelaw has been aired several times over the past year on Turner Classic Movies and it was L. Harvey's penultimate film before his death on Nov. 25, 1973 in London at age 45 from stomach cancer. However, his last film -- which was released sporadically after his passing -- was WELCOME TO ARROW BEACH (1974). And it has mostly vanished from being seen as best as I can tell. It was released on VHS one time in the U.S.; I've not run across a legal DVD or Blu-Ray release of "Arrow Beach". I have run across some DVD copies of the movie on eBay that came from a tape but unless the movie is 'PD' now those are simply bootleg discs.

WELCOME TO ARROW BEACH was released on video in 1979 by the old 'Magnetic Video Corporation' in its full-length version of 99 minutes. (There is a shortened version running 85 minutes that was re-titled "Tender Flesh" or "And No One Would Believe Her", btw).

a customer likes this.
  13. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Back in the late 70s/early 80s, it played a lot on the midnight movie, probably with edits. I would like to revisit it.

64FALCON likes this.
  14. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

@Jack Lord: If you saw LAST SUMMER on television way back when it definitely had edits! Especially to the closing scene. I remember when "Last Summer" used to air on our local Tv stations and, after seeing the full version, there's zero chance of "Last Summer" airing on TV without /cuts/.

15. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Altered States?

I don't think Close Encounters has become obscure or anything, but 1977 was the year sci-fi movies leapfrogged forward into modern times (from Logan's Run and Futureworld just the year before), and 'Which do you like better: Star Wars or Close Encounters?' was an inescapable question. But obviously, it didn't become the franchise Star Wars has (and frankly, is all the better for being a self-contained complete statement).

SimonSaysCake and a customer like this.
  16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Clockwork Orange

17. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

@KevinP: In regards to the '77 movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" there's a Italian sex comedy 'follow-up' of sorts: VERY CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE FOURTH KIND. It involves hot women and silly aliens. Of course it does.

In a similar vein: The 1977 hit SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER was ripped-off in 1978 via the Italian movie AMERICAN FEVER, which appears to be a "Lost Film" at this point . . . but there are trailers of the movie that can be seen on YouTube. Zora Keer is HOT. The English dubbing is just awful. Jeepers! The main character talks about actor Sylvester Stallone in one scene featured on the trailer and it's dubbed as "Sylvester Stalloney". I expect the (alleged) actors who did the dubbing worked for scale or less. Maybe the voice actors were simply pulled in off the street? Still, I'd like to see the movie.

And speaking of '70s movies with "Fever" in the title: There's the 1978 movie DISCO FEVER starring Fabian that's been uploaded to YouTube. That's a long-forgotten flick . . . if anyone ever remembered it to begin with.

18. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

No doubt. Took some reflection to realize what transpired during the last scene

19. a customer

I can't seem to find the cop courtroom film the onion field
    Anywhere.

64FALCON likes this.
  20. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Here's one no one talks about anymore:

Wait...no one talked about it then either. Unless they saw it. The resulting talk wasn't good.

64FALCON likes this.
  21. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

@a_customer: THE ONION FIELD had been "in print" for a while from 'Kino-Lorber' on Blu-Ray for a reasonable price new, but I think it's now OOP on Blu-Ray judging by the prices on eBay for it! Would be cheaper to buy a DVD of "The Onion Field" if you wanted to own a digital version. And there's always the older VHS releases if you like tapes. "The Onion Field" was released by Magnetic in 1980 and then 'Embassy Home Entertainment' and then 'Nelson Entertainment' and finally on one of those MGM 'Contemporary Classics' tapes from the '90s.

I must admit, however, I know nothing about streaming and if "Onion Field" is available to stream.

a customer likes this.
  22. a customer

I got rid of my vcr years ago. Too much stuff. I even owned a vcr to cd recorder.
    I still have to much stuff.

I have amazon prime netflix
    my cable has hbo max Peacock
    freevee has good documentaries with commercials
    the streaming is easy (even I can do it)

Most of this streaming is Hi definition.
    I was happy with DVD picture quality.

64FALCON likes this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

1971 ?Neil Young’s maid.
    1968? Actually filmed in 1966.

a customer likes this.
  24. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Nobody was mentioning this amazing piece much when it first came out.

[​IMG]

Looking For Today likes this.
  25. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Dick Tracy (1990)

alexpop likes this.