FINAL COUNTDOWN - Now on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JonUrban, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

I got the 2 Disc set today at BB. It was $19.95, the "regular" version was "$14.95". The 2 CD set is worth it just for the cool cover! (There is also a P&S version, but WHY???)

I'm sorry, but this is a cool flick. The acting is horrible in spots (they used actual crew members for some roles), but if you don't get a chill watching the F-14's buzz the yacht, then the Japanese Zero's, finally "splashing" them, I would be suprised.

It's like an epsisode of "Battlestar Galactica" or something like that, only the futuristic stuff is what we know.

I was in the Navy, and lived on a carrier (USS Independence), so I can tell you that they did not use sets, this thing was filmed on the ship. There are too many sequences that play out as Navy recruiting films (fueling the F-14s in flight, bringing in a "wounded bird"), but the film makers had to have the Navy on board for this project, so it was a payback of sorts.

Leave your sensibility at the door and watch this film. The DTS-ES soundtrack is pretty good. Lots of stuff in the rears, however it's not up to par with a modern film. The picture is grainy at best, with the titles blurry as well as many scenes. The visual image is 2.35:1, so you don't miss a thing. If you've only seen this one on TV, you have been missing a lot of info.

I'd be interested to hear what Colin (OatsDad) would have to say on this title.

:-jon

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'm disappointed that Netflix isn't carrying this DVD.

3. JohnG

I ended up buying the LE edition at DeepDiscountDVD.com sight unseen.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

My LE's on the way from DeepDiscount. As long as they didn't screw the pooch like the last company that released this to DVD (Pacific Family Entertainment) I'll be thrilled. I've heard good things about other Blue Undergroud releases so I ordered this when I heard it was coming.

Bill Hunt seems to have liked this release.
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/finalcountdownse.html

5. JohnG

it's getting raves over at HTF from people who also owned the PFE version. They say this is much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.