Finally heard The Stooges' FUN HOUSE -- Wow!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nin

nin Forum Resident

Is it even better than the Sundazed vinyl?

2. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

I'm a bit confused by something in the liners of the 1999 Sessions box: "Each and every multitrack session master was carefully remixed from scratch." It also says "mixdown by Bill Inglot". Is it technically a remix? :confused:

And is the mix on the 2CD edition that came later taken from a different (original) mixdown (I believe that one was also done by Dan Hersch and Bill Inglot)? I bought that one when it came out, but couldn't find it now. I've also got the Sundazed vinyl, but haven't done a mix comparison.

3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Not sure. I haven't heard the Sundazed issues to date.

4. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Thanks Ron and everyone else for talking up the Stooges. Somehow I never was exposed to them. I recently picked up the S/T and Fun House on Sundazed vinyl, based on the discussions here. I am really enjoying them both. If there is a decent pressing of Raw Power out there (Sundazed hasn't done this one yet, have they?) I will check that out too. I am very happy with the sound of the Sundazed vinyl. Like most of their releases, it is not "audiophile" type sound, but rather a good, honest, flat-sounding transfer with a nice balance across the sound spectrum.

5. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I just picked-up a copy of The Stooges latest LP and it isn't much in the way of something I will listen to much.

I felt compelled to buy it just because it was Iggy and The Stooges.

I read a review afterwards that gave it a 1.

6. rat1073

rat1073 Active Member

Trying to place it in history with the other records of over thirty years ago is going to rob you of the chance to enjoy a pretty entertaining album.

7. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Bumping these questions. Anyone?

8. cochlear

cochlear New Member

I have the Electra LP (import)
    It is nice

9. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Congrats, Ron. There's nothing greater than discovering something you really love. I agree about the album. Timeless classic.

10. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

Hopefully there's no problem with me posting these articles but they are a MUST read for Fun House fans and anyone interested in checking out the album.

The first one is the original 1970 Rolling Stone magazine review. I bought Fun House in the autumn of 1970 prompted by this article. It was my first Stooges album and I've never been the same since.

The second is an excellent article in Spin magazine by Henry Rollins (circa late 1980s I think). Don't mind the red highlights. They are something I did a long time ago for another reason.

I have probably played Fun House everyday on an average for nearly forty years. Some days, I've played it 3-4 times!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dino and bluesbro like this.
  11. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks for posting that Chazz. Henry nailed it. The first 10 seconds of TV Eye realy is one of the best moments in all of rock music. I can't beleive you saw the '71 lineup with Asheton AND Williamson on guitar!

12. Invader Zim

Invader Zim A Progressive Blues Experiment

Great read, Chazz. Henry Rollins is a stone cold badass. "After the next song I told them that we were the greatest band on earth. They left." :laugh:

Genius.

And Funhouse is unbeatable. :thumbsup:

13. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

FUN HOUSE
    MY
    FAVORITE
    ROCK N' ROLL
    LP
    OF
    ALL
    TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

The best part of the scream at the break of TV Eye is the cough that comes right after! I love that they left that in. Brilliant.

15. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

Good ol' Charlie Burton. I miss him. Wish he still lived down here.

Great to see that original review of Funhouse. I think Ed Ward did the first one in RS.

16. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Absolutely a desert island disc for me.

17. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I've been listening to this in my car since yesterday..

What a great album, I could post the whole thing in the "Songs that get you going/motivated" thread from a few weeks ago.

I found that this morning, I kept turning it up and up on the way to work. When I pulled up and turned the car off my ears were ringing!

I'm so glad I got to see them before the events of yesterday...
    RIP RON.

18. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

P.S - Anyone know if the commonly found vinyl re-issues of the Stooges albums are any good?

19. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

I was playing it so loud, my 7 year old got mad at me. He wasn't really concerned about Ron dying. I hope i didn't ruin the band for him. He likes Ramones and Rancid a lot.
    I really like the remaster. I like the way the bass sounded. Although this was a first time hearing it in a new home with much different (better) acoustics.

20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Best CD release of this title?
    (SQ for original album tracks)
    BIG thanks.
    =========
    How's the RHINO replica?

21. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Get the Japanese SHM cd mini sleeve remaster.Worth the $$ IMHO

22. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Rhino Handmade has strongly hinted that there will be a deluxe Funhouse in the near future, although no details have been given. One may consider waiting for it (or not).

23. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

One of my absolute favorites! My all time favorite Saturday night record, especially when me and my lady are home alone without the kids ;)
    Growling, sexy, snarling and primal music. Love it!

24. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

How can I not take the advise from a member who's avatar is the friggin' album under discussion?!?! :laugh:
    BIG thanks.
    Saw the RHINO replica last night; had too ask, enjoy.

25. DCW

DCW been a-boogeyin' since I ditched the stroller.

"Fun House" makes ministers and librarians want to f%^k and fight:winkgrin:. That is the best superlative I can give this finest of RAWK recordings!!

Welcome to the club:righton:!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.