Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Listening to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son over lunch. They are renovating our bathroom this week, and I felt it was time for some payback for the noise :)

DoF likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

How's the sound????

DoF likes this.
  3. DoF

DoF Less is more...

It's the same source as the black vinyl reissue, with chewed tape sound on side B as far as I remember. No fireworks here. My go to copy is original pressing.

Grow Fins and Neonbeam like this.
  4. Goride

Goride Active Member

Last year I bought The Complete Albums Collection 1990-2015 box set. However, I never got around to picking up the other albums to complete the set... until now. In the next few days I plan on buying all of the rest of the 2017 reissues to complete the set.
    I will also likely go ahead and pick up all the 1980-1988 reissues as well (though I don't have the box for this set, and unfortunately I probably never will because it seems they are now charging $250+ for a piece of cardboard :mad: ).

I am a huge Iron Maiden fan, but I grew up in the cassette/CD era, and am new to vinyl. This is my first real foray into the vinyl medium. I had a couple concerns, and have been trying to go through the past posts in this thread, and online searches, etc. but it is a little daunting going through it all. I was hoping you guys might be able to help me avoid some pitfalls.

While looking through Amazon's listings, I have noticed that some of the records have different labels listed (Parlophone, Sanctuary Records, and Rhino; maybe others?). I am assuming that these are identifying the different areas of release, such as EU release (Parlophone), US release (Sanctuary), and I am not sure what Rhino is.

I am now wondering if there is a big difference between the pressings? And if so, is there any consensus on which are the best pressings?

One issue in particular that I noticed was that it seems there is a poor mastering quality issue with the US pressing of The Number of the Beast. But it seems the UK pressing of this album is good though? Are there any other known issues with particular albums? Are the UK releases generally preferable over the US releases (or even other areas)?

DoF likes this.
  5. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

For 80’s reissues, EU’s have generally better pressing quality, also Killers and Number are found to sound much better on EU Parlophones than on US Sanctuary. EU Somewhere In Time has a tape defect in one spot, barely noticeable is you ask me, which US hasn’t. So for reissues I went all EU.
    Both Piece Of Mind reissues have channels not quite balanced, but it’s not too bad. Powerslave and later albums are gradually decreasing in volume towards the end of each side to avoid IGD.
    Originals can be pricey, but you can look for Russian Gala 1993 pressings which use UK stampers and sound just like the originals. But the covers quality didn’t go far from a Soviet newspaper I’m afraid ;)

6. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Soundwise I recommend originals for 1980-1988 albums.

7. Goride

Goride Active Member

I would like the originals. But I am having a hard enough time finding all the 1980-1988 UK reissues, let alone the originals. (The US reissues aren't too much of a problem).

The UK reissues are all available off the Iron Maiden website via some UK record store. But it is $220 + $50 shipping for the 8 1980-1988 reissues. The US reissues (but with a UK reissue of NotB) total $187 + free shipping from amazon. So there is nearly a $100 cost difference once shipping is factored in.

With respect to the 1990-2015 reissues, I haven't seen anyone mention any problems with them (it is always with certain 1980-1988 reissues). Is it safe to get the US pressings of those, or do I need to look for the Parlaphone as well?

8. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I have both US and UK NOTB, and the difference is not as great as some have said. In fact, with minor EQ tweaks they sound about the same. ;)

9. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Is this even available in the US? I don't think you can even buy the BMG anymore - discogs, amazon, ebay don't have it. As to the tape defect on Parlophone, is this something that you can only hear if you're looking for it?

10. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

It’s noticeable, but it lasts only a fraction of a second and is much less annoying than surface noise sometimes found on new records. Not a deal breaker at all.

11. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Iron Maiden ‎– Running Free
    Label: Parlophone ‎– 2564625243, Parlophone ‎– 5032
    Format: Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single, Reissue
    Released: Oct 2014

Discogs Link: Iron Maiden - Running Free

[​IMG]

superstar19, Sondek and steveharris like this.
  12. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Iron Maiden ‎– Twilight Zone / Wrathchild
    Label: Parlophone ‎– 2564625173
    Format: Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single, Reissue
    Released: Oct 2014

Discogs Link: Iron Maiden - Twilight Zone / Wrathchild

[​IMG]

superstar19 and Sondek like this.
  13. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Iron Maiden ‎– Iron Maiden
    Label: Parlophone ‎– 2564625244, Parlophone ‎– EMC 3330
    Format: Reissue
    Released: 13 Oct 2014

Discogs Link: Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

[​IMG]

14. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Iron Maiden ‎– Flight 666 - The Original Soundtrack
    Label: Parlophone ‎– 0190295851941
    Format: 2 × Vinyl, Reissue, Remastered, 180 gram
    Released: 28 Jul 2017

Lacquer Cut By Chris Bellman

Discogs Link: Iron Maiden - Flight 666 - The Original Soundtrack

[​IMG]

15. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Why did this thread evolve into just posting pics of Maiden albums? Just curious. :shrug:

obi likes this.
  16. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Because Iron Maiden albums have excellent covers.

Also, DoF is showing us the reissues he's bought.

DoF likes this.
  17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

This one sounds amazing doesn't it !

DoF likes this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

:goodie:It's called live..... after.. . death!:goodie:

DoF likes this.
  19. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Yes, it does, one of safe buyers from this batch of reissues.

20. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Well put.

21. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Iron Maiden ‎– Powerslave
    Label: Parlophone ‎– 2564624869
    Format: Reissue, Remastered, 180 Gram
    Released: 27 Oct 2014

Discogs Link: Iron Maiden - Powerslave

[​IMG]

Tankbass73 likes this.
  22. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

Is there an Iron Maiden t-shirt thread for the same purpose ? :D

Jiri Smahel likes this.
  23. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

..but not as good as an original pressing IMHO...

Jam757 and DoF like this.
  24. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

To be honest TNOTB isn't their best sounding album, I've a few different pressings of this album and they sound quite the same to these ears.

25. Jiri Smahel

Jiri Smahel Forum Resident

Unfortunately, only mugs and watches.

dockofthebay likes this.