Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. The first season is fantastic gothic horror. It's in my top three horror shows of all time.

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

I felt it would have been better just focusing on Eva Green /Witch story and dispersing with Wolfman /Dorian Gray /Frankenstein/monster etc.

3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I would've prefered it if they had skipped the Dorian Gray storyline and concentrated on the one they were teasing from the very beginning, Count Dracula! When they finally got around to addressing him in the final season it was an epic fail, starting with the most boring casting choice for the Count. Followed by that snoozefest of a script! Never understood it, written correctly and played by the right actor, the show would probably STILL be on the air!;)

alexpop likes this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree about Frankenstein's monster. I found the characterization very interesting, and his interactions with Vanessa were very touching. Harry Treadaway and Rory Kinnear were brilliant as Victor Frankenstein and the monster respectively.

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

yes he was good ..but I would have still preferred it all Eva Green / witch story. :)

Encuentro likes this.
  6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Can't go wrong with either of those.

I want to revisit both of them at some point, especially Thrones when the next season starts up.

I've been rewatching Justified lately, really liked that show when it was on & have been meaning to rewatch it for awhile now. Some of the commentary on the DVDs is really interesting, adding to my appreciation of the show.

Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  7. alexpop

Left out a few ..The Shield...Deadwood..Boardwalk Empire..Rome ..Homeland 1-3...Singing Detective uk ..Band Of Brothers...Pacific..Magic City..Better Call Saul...Black Sails...The Leftovers ..Wayward Pines..Fortitude...Line Of Duty..TWD...SOA...Jessica Jones...Banshee...The Missing....Z Nation ...Fear the...Spartacus..Vikings..Quarry...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Brenald79 likes this.
  8. alexpop

Had the complete DVD box. Seen a few episodes thought it was ok! I'll check it out again.

9. goodpickins

goodpickins Well-Known Member

I'm late to the thread just as I am always late to TV shows becasue I have to wait for them to come out on dvd if I watch them at home. There seems to be a never ending pool of great TV series these days. Every time I think im caught up I hear of a few new (to me) ones, so I will have to go back and read this thread in it's entirety.

Im sure these have all been mentioned but they are some I enjoyed lately. A few British ones, Pulling, Inside Number 9, and Fleabag. I just watched Succession which of course has been talked about in other threads, I thought it was great and am looking forward to another season. Im a few episodes into Big Little Lies right now and loving that. Laura Dern is my favourite actor. She starred in another series that was cancelled which I thought was great but I guess whichever network it was on disagreed because it was nixed. It was called Enlightened, the ever talented Mike Smith created and costarred. Still worth watching even if it wasnt carrried through.

I love everything Julia Davis did, shes a total sicko, I love her. Not for everybody, it leans towards farce a bit but shes just this whirlwind. Nighty Night, Hunderby, and Camping all worth a look if it's up your alley.

I watched the Stephen King adaptation with Brendan Gleason recently too. It was ok, worth keeping one eye on while I was doing something else but its not like Im dying to see the new season.

I hear there's a new True Detectice coming out. I'll give that maybe 2 episodes to redeem itself. I was so hooked on the first 5 or so episodes of season 1. It was totally riveting, I rmemeberr the end of one of those episodes ending with the shot of the naked dude with the gasmask on and it was like scary stuff. it was all downhill from there. It got convoluted to the point where it was just stupid, and the villain who you just expected to be pure evil ended up being some bald fat house painter. Season 2 proved the creator is a hack, it was maybe the worst show Ive ever seen relative to the hype. The endless overhead pans and idiotic writing and plot. Man that was garbage. I guess they are giving him one more shot but I have more than my doubts.In retrospect it was Harrelson and Mconaghey who carried my interest in season one as far as the plot would let them.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    slipkid, Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  10. alexpop

A few British ones "?

Thanks for the tip.

goodpickins likes this.
  11. goodpickins

goodpickins Well-Known Member

Yeah Ill usually look over there for comedy, have to think hard to come up with American comedies I like. Inside number 9 wasnt a comedy though, more of a horror/sci-fi anthology kinda like black mirror. Britain for comedy for me though. I like quite a few Scandinavian crime dramas, but no sense me naming every tv show especially having not read the thread :)

alexpop likes this.
  12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Great list!

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

Never watched TV since the mid seventies,( hedonistic lifestyle:D) so missed out in eighties /nineties till 2011 that's when I picked Lost ( season 2) which got me hooked. Thank god for physical media /DVDs /BD anything interesting ( subjective )its all available for your viewing pleasure !!!!

Brenald79 likes this.
  14. alexpop

True Detective series 1 was a classic agree.

slipkid likes this.
  15. alexpop

Brit comedy is my fave, The Office . Extras ..Idiots Guide. Mighty Boosh

goodpickins likes this.
  16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Have you seen The Peep Show? UK comedy.

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

No! Didn't fancy it.
    Comedy shows aren't my main interest. So I'm picky on them.

Did like the other Ricky Gervais show Derek.

Brenald79 likes this.
  18. alexpop

Rome grim show "
    Yes it was, but great story.
    Preferred it to Spartacus...though season one was brilliant, shame about main actor Andy Whitfield, that was a tragedy in itself.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    benjaminhuf likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

too bad we can't say that about TD 2...

20. Michael

did you watch the whole series of Spartacus?

21. Michael

Ash vs. The Evil Dead.

22. alexpop

Life
    Dunno how I overlooked your post.
    Yes! Interesting indeed!!!!

23. alexpop

Braquo( 4 seasons ).

Yes ! Really want to see this.
    Jean-Hugues Anglade was so effective in Killing Zoe.

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Cool that you mentioned Quarry in your list. It was only through this thread that I even heard of it (Banshee too which I also really liked). Quarry was really amazing, am pissed that it never got to grow/mature/only lasted one season. Can you imagine if Breaking Bad got canceled after 1 year? Or the Shield? What a shame that would have been.

I see Mr. Robot is not in your list. Have you ever seen that? It is totally mindblowing.

alexpop likes this.
  25. alexpop

Quarry & Banshee?
    Same here.

Quarry did like the period setting.

Mr Robot I didn't fancy it.