Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Wonder if this series helped Terry O'Quinn help getting the job in LOST?

2. My thoughts exactly. It's a great, gritty show for two seasons and then due to poor ratings, the Fox network executives demanded changes in a last ditch effort to juice ratings in season three.

Millennium is definitely worth a look if you liked the darker episodes from the X-Files, it was helmed by producers from the X-Files.

Scotian and alexpop like this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The first season's the best. After that the network got carried away and started casting family and friends and, in one season, concentrated on someone who was never even convicted of anything. Some of the movies were okay but not the one's I thought would be okay.

Brenald79 likes this.
  4. scottabs

scottabs Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I'll skip ahead to season 4 to check it out.

Brenald79 likes this.
  5. goodpickins

goodpickins Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, had never heard of it. I'm loving it so far. Jeez the body count would give Rambo a run for it's money. If you blink you might miss someone getting shot. It reminded me of an Australian crime movie called Gettin' Square in that the gangsters have a clownish aspect to them but they were likable in Gettin' Square, much nastier in this show.

Brenald79 likes this.
  6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Which season are you watching?

I’ve only seen 1,2,3&6. I loved them all. No preference. Amazon Prime in Canada only has s6. US got 4&6.

7. goodpickins

I watched 10 episodes of the first season since I read your post. I would never start anything in the middle, if im 5 minutes late to a movie i dont go in ;)

I dont think this is a spoiler because it happens so often during this show, alert anyway if anyone hasnt seen it. But I love how right from the start the people I think are the main characters are bumped off. And there is 6 seasons of this? Man that is a major recommendation for a guy who works from home, Im good for tv for a few weeks, thank you. And does Carl remond you of Chris Penn in reservoir dogs or what? cheers

Brenald79 and Mylene like this.
  8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Glad to hear you like, and I can definitely see that in Carl lol! I think the franchise goes like this:
    6 seasons of Underbelly
    3 Underbelly Files movies (Tell Them Lucifer Was Here, Infilitration & The Man Who Got Away)
    1 season Underbelly New Zealand
    1 miniseries: Underbelly Files - Chopper

goodpickins likes this.
  9. goodpickins

Oh wow, Im totally hooked up for a while then. I'm already amazed that in season 1 they can wipe out that many good actors and characters and still have 5 seasons to go. I saw the movie Chopper years ago but not a miniseries, Ill dig into all those forsure cheers :)

Brenald79 likes this.
  10. goodpickins

I guess Pusher is cheating the thread as it was made for the big screen but it is a series and I thought about it when replying. It's much more stark, nobody is having any fun in that trilogy but I was reminded of it anyway, check it out if you havent

11. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Take a look at his acting credits on IMDB. I don't think he's ever had too much problem getting work. I've been a fan since The Stepfather.

Terry O'Quinn - IMDb

alexpop likes this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, I was more replying to the post you were replying to mentioning The Shield as "which hasn't been mentioned yet". I thought it was already recommended a couple times...

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

All good. :righton:

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Hey, I wonder, speaking of The Shield now out on blu-ray - did they include the episodes in different screen formats?

That is, when the show originally aired, and when the DVDs were originally released, they were 4:3 (or whatever it is) which gave the shows a more documentary feel. Then Sony acquired the rights & re-released the whole thing as widescreen format; at that time I bought the whole series again on sale and sold my old 4:3 sets. I actually wish I had kept them though, it's a different experience watching it that way on TV as opposed to widescreen which is more "cinematic" for lack of a better word. And I don't remember if the extras were any different on one set vs the other.

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Marcella. Nordic Noir but made in England. Totally confusing (key plot points are totally missing in action) but worth it in the end.

In-Absentia and alexpop like this.
  16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It’s not out until Nov 6. Sounds like it’s going to be widescreen. 4k HD
    restorations should benefit this show tremendously. More info here:
    https://www.amazon.com/Shield-Catherine-Goggins-Michael-Chiklis/dp/B07FZ7MP4K

slipkid and alexpop like this.
  17. alexpop

18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Did The Wire and Sopranos 4K HD not get get released in your region on Blue Ray?

19. alexpop

Wire Blu Ray( dunno about 4K).

20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Finished El Chapo Season 3 on Netflix. That’s their 3rd season in 14 months. I enjoyed it just about as much as Narcos. Better that Ozark.

21. alexpop

Orange is the New Black is that any good? It's either that or American Horror Story ..next.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  22. alexpop

^
    Both shows IMDb reviewer comments aren't exactly encouraging.

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

On both of those shows the 1st 2 seasons are the best. Both shows started out very strong but couldn't sustain it.

PhantomStranger and alexpop like this.
  24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Are you looking for a Netflix original to watch ?

alexpop likes this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I haven't seen the most recent season of Orange yet but I enjoyed the others. Not edge of your seat nail biting suspense or intrigue but quite a bit of it is very very funny.

alexpop likes this.