Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Wasn't sure I'd enjoy this - but the first season especially, was great. The actor who played Javier Pena was very good.

Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, I mentioned it. Great & very original show. Only two seasons so it does not require large time investment to watch.

JK Simmonds is a tour de force of acting in that, getting to not only play two very different characters (hence the title) but also getting to play the two very different characters pretending to be the other character.

I found the storyline with the pandemic/plague to be eerily prescient of our current situation. Wonder if our world has been intentionally infected by our own counterparts!

alexpop likes this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

This may have been mentioned already & I was going to check it out but I forgot (?). What I'm learning now makes me think I will dig this. If I understand it right the story starts as the series called "Narcos" for three seasons then continues/reboots with a name change of Narcos: Mexico for another couple seasons?

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Not sure. Your synopsis sounds great.

slipkid likes this.
  5. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Definitely agree about JK Simmons - just watching the switch between the characters was entertainment enough. I never had the feeling the writers were sacrificing the complexity of the story in order to retain the audience either, which is refreshing. In ways, it reminded me somewhat of Westword, which I felt was the same way until about half-way through season two.

slipkid likes this.
  6. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

I believe the origin story begins in Colombia, with Pablo Escobar - then moves to Mexico. Parts of the story are happening concurrently in each place during the third season, which serves to fill in some blanks.

alexpop and slipkid like this.
  7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I liked Westworld but it drove me crazy with all the bizarre twists some of which made zero sense to me and time jumps (which were not disclosed as such). I never got past Season 2 although up until a few weeks ago I thought that was the last season. I only learned that there was a S3 recently but have yet to try to watch that. Maybe someday but I would first need to rewatch S1/S2...

alexpop likes this.
  8. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

I enjoyed it and found it difficult to follow. I had to read an online wiki to pick up the thread of it, mostly due to the undisclosed time jumps you mentioned. I never made it past season two either.

alexpop likes this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

The way that S2 ended it sure seemed like it was wrapped up & over. Am totally surprised they found a way to keep going.

cporcp likes this.
  10. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Is anyone into the Scandinavian or French TV noir that seems to be popular? I've watched a few of each and have enjoyed them. The acting seems to me better than much of what American TV has to offer - and the plot lines aren't so easily given away, though that could be due to the language translation barrier.

slipkid likes this.
  11. alexpop

Liked S1, S2 didn’t hold my interest. S3 has Breaking Bad’s Aaron Paul in it.

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I saved an article that was in the NY Times a couple weeks/months ago called "A Guide to Nordic TV, Noir and Otherwise" intending to check some of those shows out someday.

The writeup covers shows called "All the Sins" (some kind of crime/murder mystery thriller), "Arctic Circle" (medical-conspiracy thriller), "Ragnarok" (Scandanvian spin on teenage superhero story with balance between mordant humor and Gothic drama), and "Twin" (with a setup that is legitimately noir as straightforward drama with elements of fish out of water comedy).

Have you seen any of those?

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Oh cool, always nice to see "Pinkman" in something. I will have to get back to that series eventually.

alexpop likes this.
  14. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

I have not. I have seen Bordertown, Black Spot, The Forest, and Fortitude. Bordortown is Nordic - Black Spot and The Forest are French - Fortitude is a mash up, that has an international cast that includes Dennis Quaid and Stanley Tucci. All are subtitled - which I also enjoy - with the exception of Fortitude which was excellent I thought.

The pacing for the shows is very different.

slipkid and alexpop like this.
  15. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Yeah, definitely should be your first stop.

16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

There’s a new Amazon original miniseries called The Last Narc. It’s a documentary about the real life agents from Narcos: Mexico. It’s very much worth watching. Amazing that the agents agreed to be interviewed!

slipkid and alexpop like this.
  17. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

I’ll have to check it out. The history starting back with Escobar was actually pretty interesting. Seems like one of the lead DEA agents wrote a book maybe - I remember a reference to it in Breaking Bad so I don’t know if it was true.

18. alexpop

Have the dvd box.
    The blu ray more extras?

Scotian likes this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Ah yes there is a book by one of DEA agents called Manhunters from 2019 (great book) but it’s not the book that was mentioned in Breaking Bad. I believe that was a different book about Escobar.

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

What episode of BB was the book mentioned ?

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

S3 EP8.
    cporcp was correct about the book.
    Killing Pablo - Wikipedia

cporcp, alexpop and slipkid like this.
  22. alexpop

23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

After Narcos: Mexico you have to watch El Chapo. 3 seasons on Netflix. It’s the same story as Narcos: Mexico except it focuses on the rise of Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman.

alexpop and slipkid like this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Is that by the same production team as the Narcos series(es) or something by another group coincidentally related?

25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

No it’s a completely different production team. Gets confusing watching 2 shows telling the same story.

slipkid likes this.