First episode of "VOIR" by David Fincher on Netflix, my daughter is in it (& I'm proud..)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Do you have Netflix?

My daughter is in the first episode of the long-looked for "VOIR," David Fincher and David Prior’s Love Letter to Cinema. My kid plays writer Sasha Stone's younger sister, recalling the summer of 1975, specifically the experience of seeing "Jaws" and watching as it ushered in the era of Hollywood blockbusters.

It's the first chapter in VOIR and it's the best, IMO, quite touching. I also love seeing my daughter on a big screen (obviously). Our friend Eva Wild plays Sasha as a child and it's a short but moving segment that is really nicely done. Take a look if you can. It's pretty neat.

“Summer of the Shark”, episode 1 of Voir. Shot in real 35mm film and high def..
    Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_0vHst5670&t=1s
    My daughter, on the left in pic.

264774161_4551127768301377_2464598938179891562_n.jpg 264764325_4551137794967041_5563984283596129524_n.jpg

2. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's amazing! You must be proud. I'll have to check that out.

My kid is 9 and not so interested in the show business or the performing arts, although she did a piano recital and noodles around on my Gibson SG and acoustic guitar. She's more into pokemon.

FVDnz, PapaMuerte and Steve Hoffman like this.
  4. PapaMuerte

PapaMuerte Zappatista

All the best to little princess!
    Mine just cares about soccer...
    Will check this out, looks great!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

That awesome Steve! Fincher is one of the best contemporary filmmakers around. Congrats to you and your daughter!

6. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

That’s cool, Steve! I imagine you must be very proud.

On a personal note: I realise now that ever since Fincher dropped Mindhunter (rather bluntly) I have not watched any have his new projects since. But this might change my mind ;)

7. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I saw that previewed when I switched on my Netflix last night. Now that you've mentioned that your daughter appeared on the first episode, I'll definitely check it out. Though I'd already considered watching the show anyway... :p

8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I watched the first episode based on Steve’s recommendation (a justifiably proud papa) and then the next two—kinda like eating potato chips. A very watchable series with the way it intersperses clips with commentary, with interesting insights into film and how we watch them. Note that Fincher is a producer, or at least if he directed an episode I didn’t see it yet.

JohnK

9. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I don't get Netflix but all the best to your daughter and her proud parents.

10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Thanks for the heads-up Steve, will def check it out. Good grief your daughter is adorable, "proud dad" posts are always welcome!

11. Steve Hoffman

It's a good series. Better than I expected.. Hope they do more; a lot of topics need to be discussed in cinema..

The nice thing about it is that EVERY clip of a movie shown is nicely restored, no old 16mm TV prints used. That means that the "rights" problem must have been HUGE!

forthlin likes this.
  12. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

that is friggin cool Steve.
    As a father of two daughters..I can relate..

forthlin and Steve Hoffman like this.
  13. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

The preview caught my interest. Congratulations to your daughter.

14. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Cool! Watched it last night. Being an old SoCal resident at this time brought back memories. Your daughter did a great job and looks like a natural.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Most of my friends were actors and I once worked for the most powerful manger in Hollywood. My personal advice? Plastics. This is casting no aspersions on your daughters skill, but best friend who was a talent manager and handled most of the actors on General Hospital now tells the many parents of children who he knows and have an expiring actor “she may be the prettiest girl in your town but she’s better off staying there.”

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  16. Steve Hoffman

Thank you.

17. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Watched Ep 1, it's pretty good! I like the theme, your daughter did a nice job.

18. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

she definitely did a good job and episode one was very good. love Jaws. looking forward to more episodes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.