First Movie Memory

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, May 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles Adams

Charles Adams Forum Resident

My first movie memory is seeing "The Alamo" with John Wayne when I was 8 years old (movie release date 1960). That movie is still my favorite movie of all time. It probably helps that I'm a life long Texan.

2. Watching a re-release of Alice in Wonderland with my mom, from within a special booth in the back of the cinema for mothers with very young (ie, noisy and fidgety) children. This would've been circa 1974, when I was 3. I don't remember this specifically, but Mom reminds me occasionally of how freaked out I got whenever the Queen of Hearts screamed "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!" :)

3. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

My first film was Snow White. I was four years old in 1958.

4. Glenns

Glenns Forum Resident

My Dad took me to "Bambi". I was very young but still remember.

5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Seen this excellent movie dozens of times and had the oportunity to see a remastered version on the big screen in the early 80s. It was fantastic !

6. Wildest cat from montana

I have to ask if you cried when Bambi's mom was killed.

7. John54

John54 Senior Member

Not sure if it was the absolute first but in 1961 I saw The Parent Trap at the cinema right near the railway station in Woking, UK, after having seen a trailer on TV (in general, I'd rather have been watching the trains, but not this time). A lot of it went over my six-year-old head but I've seen the movie a few times in the past couple of years and it's very entertaining.

8. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Disney’s Robin Hood
    November 1973
    Radio City Music Hall special premier showing!

I have absolutely no recollection of the actual movie because I was only 3 years old! However I do remember being there and watching the guys play the Lowery Organ before the show. Also I received a souvenir book which I loved but no longer have.

9. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

First movie I saw in a theater is either 2001 or The Odd Couple. Both came out about the same time I think. Although Mary Poppins is stuck in my mental rolodex.

10. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

My second movie memory was also Disney:

Treasure Island/Pinocchio double feature Christmas time 1975. Farmingdale, New York.

I remember my family was the only one for Treasure Island but many people were there for Pinocchio. The “Pleasure Island” scenes totally freaked out my 5 year old mind!!

11. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

My first movie-going experience happened in my elementary school auditorium where, as (presumably) an assembly educational activity, they screened The Miracle Worker - the one with Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke. Blindness scared me as a kid. I sensed that people like Stevie Wonder, who had their vision permanently impaired, could see things beyond the scope of what was "known" and it freaked me out. So when a 50 foot blind Anne Bancroft arrived at the homestead of Helen Keller, smiling behind those dark sunglasses I recoiled in horror. My teacher scowled and told me to keep still. But I was petrified. I think I finally ran out of the auditorium in mortal terror. Years later when I saw the film in its entirety I appreciated the intense performances of both lead actresses. And chuckle at my childish ignorance. You're only 6 once. So they say.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  12. Wildest cat from montana

My favourite Anne Bancroft performance is Mrs Robinson in the ' The Graduate ' - sinisterly sexy. But this is next.

ando here and Dirkwkirk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.