First Stereo Recording at Radio Recorders Studios, etc.?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Anybody know when Radio Recorders on Santa Monica Blvd. first recorded in stereo? I'm guessing it was 1957; probably for Verve Records.

2. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

http://www.scottymoore.net/studio_radiorecorders.html
    Jim Malloy has been quoted as saying, “What I remember most about those days were the technical innovations. We made the first stereo album in the United States, 'Louis Armstrong Plays King Oliver', in 1957. In '58 we had the first 2 track and 3 track Ampex tape machines. Warren Dave and I also made the first stereo 8 track cassettes by hand at Radio Recorders.” However, Warren who worked there in the '50s and '60s said “we didn't create the 'first 8 track stereo cassette recording' - Jim always had a creative imagination.”

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The above quote has so many inaccuracies it's laughable.

crispi likes this.
  4. MLutthans

Yep; I had found that quote, too, which is why I asked the question, because that's like saying I first saw the Space Needle at the World's Fair in Spokane in 1971.

Matt

5. Hope this isn't a thread crap (if so please delete) but over the last couple of months they've gutted Radio Recorders and now you can rent office space there. I meant to take some pics but when I was there with my camera I couldn't find any parking nearby.

6. MLutthans

That's a shame. Some great (and I don't use that lightly) recordings came from that studio. I'll put CLAP HANDS, HERE COMES CHARLIE against just about anything.

7. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

But, I read it on the Internet - it's gotta be true!!!!:hide:

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Steve, can you correct the quote and say when the first stereo session was done in Hollywood? (By that, I mean one done only for music, as opposed to Fantasia or This Is Cinerama.) Who did get the first 2-track and 3-track Ampex machines? And who got the first 8-track Ampex multitrack?

I honestly don't know the answer, but I know the various legends about Les Paul. But he didn't have a lot of hits by the time these machines were coming out. I always thought it was sad that, here's the guy who help innovate multitrack recording, but his hit-making career was practically over by 1957-58...

9. MLutthans

I'm not Steve (obviously), but Stan Kenton in Hi-Fi has to be right in there. IIRC, it was recorded at Goldwyn, but not for any film use; just for records. Recorded in February, 1956, IIRC.

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

KENTON IN HI-FI's recording location and date is right. Recorded by John Palladino. His focus was on the mono though...

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

What was the first U.S. stereo non-film recording then? ALSO SPRACH ZARATHRUSTA on RCA from '54, possibly?

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Les Paul.

http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/sel-sync/snyder_sel-sync.pdf

Atlantic got the third one. I've heard who got the second one, but I can never remember the name.

I've heard that Ampex shopped the idea to a number of people/companies, but that Paul was the only one to bite.

13. MLutthans

This really gets into semantics. One of the first stereo recordings done at a professional/commercial session was by Bert Whyte. C. Robert Fine was recording the session in mono for commercial release by Mercury, and Bert Whyte recorded the session in stereo. This was Dec. 6, 1952, in Orchestra Hall in Chicago, Rafael Kubelik conducting. The stereo results have finally been released on CD, and are not bad, actually. Apparently, only one movement of Ma Vlast by Smetana survives in its stereo form.

RCA Red Seal's first stereo session -- again, basically on an experimental basis -- was with Stokowski in Boston on October 6, 1953. No samples survive. Their second session was December 2, 1953, with Monteux in NYC, and part of that session survives, and sections have been released by RCA on CD. The third was Feb. 21, 1954, with Munch in Boston, and parts of the stereo recording survive and have been released. Their fourth session is the one where they hit the jackpot, as it were: Also Sprach Zarathustra, with Reiner in Chicago, a recording which has been in print virtually since the dawn of the stereo era, recorded with two mics in March of 1954.

I think the winner, though, in terms of being the earliest stereo recording made by and released on an actual major label goes to Atlantic Records one and only recording made by stereo pioneer Emory Cook. Atlantic recorded Wilbur De Paris's jazz group in both mono and stereo in *1952*, and released the album ON ATLANTIC using Cook's wacky dual-tonearm system, as "binaural" Atlantic catalog number AL 1208 BIN.

Attached Files:

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Now that you mention it, while I don't have details, I think Tom Dowd was doing limited stereo recording as early as '52.

15. MLutthans

Yes, now that YOU mention it, I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was Tom Dowd's connection with Atlantic that got Emory Cook involved. The fact that it went over like a lead balloon apparently got Emory Cook quickly uninvolved.

Matt

16. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Wish I knew, Matt. It amazes me how poorly a lot of things in the 1950s are documented.

Also correcting the Jim Malloy quote, Louis Armstrong Plays King Oliver was recorded 9-10 1959, though at least it was recorded at Radio Recorders.

That is a shame. It amazes me how poorly a lot of things of the 1950s are preserved...

17. There's a 2-cd set "The Age of Living Stereo: A Tribute to John Pfeiffer"
    featuring interviews and (from 1953) stereo recording snippets.

So if RCA was the answer, then it's '53.

track one, disc one:
    Coppelia: Prld; Mazurka - Boston SO/Pierre Monteux

Attached Files:

18. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

The Bell Sound 'binaural' (stereo) recordings of Leopold Stokowski in New York, around 1932.

Don't believe there's anything earlier...

19. MLutthans

....but I think we've been assuming tape-based, high-fidelity stereo. You are correct, though, that the Bell material was pretty much the beginning.

I found some details on the Atlantic LP posted a few threads back. It was recorded September 11, 1952, at Engineer's Hall in NYC. 11 selections were recorded in stereo. Five were released (on the LP pictured above). The other 6 tracks were all eventually released on other Wilbur deParis LPs, but in mono only. Recorded on a Magnecord stereo tape machine.

Matt

20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have a 1956 book about hifi with a chapter on the new thing, binaural. There's even an image of a wacky double-arm turntable. Must have been a tracking nightmare!

I have a David Carroll album on Mercury that was recorded with beautiful full stereo sound. The cover indicates that it was recorded in 1956, but it must not have been released in stereo until a few years later.

21. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Alan Dower Blumlien was doing stereo for EMI in the 30's
    not at Radio Recorders but beautiful downtown Hayes in Middlesex!!!
    His genius also developed stereo MS, disc cutters and most importantly microwave radar (H2S) which defeated the uboat and electronic 405 line tv.
    He died in an experimental radar crash in'43
    Abbey rd first recorded stereo in '55 with Sir Malcolm Sargant released in '58.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

crispi likes this.
  23. den0iZer

den0iZer Forum Resident

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Matt,

I have August 1, 1956 for the first "official" Radio Recorders binaural recording. Apparently the machine was brought in from the outside for a few days to do some orchestral session. The machine was not a RR "fixed asset". I was told that their spy at Capitol warned RR to keep up with the Joneses and get on the ball with stereo. They really didn't, being very entrenched in mono. Capitol had already two in-house "fixed asset" Ampex 300-3 octal tubed three channel machines by August, '56.

25. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

fascinating
    the Nazi's were interested in tape not for its cultural implications but in its abilty to capture an event
    thus Hitlers speeches could be pre recorded and broadcast from anywhere without clicks and ticks
    was it live or AEG?
    This confused (in theory) places like BBC Caversham who were tracking Herr Hitler around Greater Germany.
    Also signals branches siezed tape as an encoder,
    coded messages could be recorded in real time and sent @ hi speed to a similar machine without the enemy being able to decode it (in theory)
    Bletchle:angel:y Park did otherwise of course.
    :angel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.