First time buyer advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ClawHammer, Jun 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClawHammer

ClawHammer Well-Known Member Thread Starter

No. Which cartridge would you recommend?

2. thebisch

thebisch Forum Resident

If you have a receiver that converts everything including analog inputs to digital, which most if not all do at this point unless you use the direct button, then what you are hearing would be similar to a needle drop transferred to CD then played back on a cd player through its digital out into the same reciever. It still sounds like a analog record by the way. Maybe not as good as it could, but very good still.

timind and ClawHammer like this.
  3. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

Sorry yes I meant to replace it with something else; in MY case it was a dust magnet.
    Benefits of different mats vary, in MY case I could hear no difference in going to leather or acrylic. OTOH, I also changed carts at the same time so the disclaimer: YMMV. I use a leather mat now, mostly because it's nice and soft.
    Tonearm adjustment is a source of argument. Rega says not to worry about it. I think a degree or two in stylus rake angle doesn't make a difference.

When I changed carts, I looked at vertical tracking and decided that a MM or two wasn't going to make a difference (to the stylus rake angle). Others will say to adjust the arm using spacers. I have the spacers but did not use them.
    I am currently running an Audio Technica VM750SH which is a couple of MMs taller than the Rega carts. I think that if it sounds good, leave it alone. Probably try a Sumiko Amethyst next, just to try a micro line/line contact.
    I got my TT without a stylus mainly because I thought I could do better than the Elys and that the table deserved a better stylus.
    Fact is, the P3 sounded great with an Ortofon 2M blue and a new phono stage.

My thoughts on a phono stage is also different: get the best phono stage you can afford. No sense in upgrading your cart if the phono stage cannot translate the improvements to the amp. My greatest improvement in listening was not because of the table, but the phono stage. You want a phono stage that is able to squeeze as much out of what is behind it (TT and cart). I believe the TT and phono stage should be paired; after I bought the P3 I looked for a phono stage of the same quality/range (I had a Cambridge Duo, upgraded to the Darlington Labs). The theory here is to remove all bottlenecks from your vinyl system (vinyl is different from digital for in digital you basically only have transport and DAC. With vinyl you have your TT, the arm, the cart, and the phono stage. More if you want to add cables, platter, mat, vibration insulation etc).
    When I upgraded phono stages, I almost decided not to change carts. I might not have upgraded the TT ( I had a P1) but it was already on the way.

I wouldn't worry about upgrades too much. I upgraded to a metal subplatter and belt, and an isolated counterweight on the arm. I may do a platter, but probably not as I'm happy with the sound I got now.
    IMO the sound improvements you are going to get with any of those changes are going to be subtle at best.

Do your research and spend wisely.
    Just remember, already have a vinyl system better than most people on the planet.
    Spin your vinyl and enjoy.
    If it sounds good don't worry about it.
    As usual: YMMV

ClawHammer likes this.
  4. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

I’m not sure I agree with @Crab33 on this. It all depends on how often you intend to listen to your records. I had my Elys 2 for nearly three years before it needed replacing, listening every weekend and many evenings. Even towards the end, the sound was acceptable, just a little less bright.

You should do the math yourself, but I doubt that you will find that replacing your cart every 2 or 3 years is particularly unaffordable, particularly given the lower cost of the Elys and given that you are likely to get a discount on your next Rega cart as you trade that Elys in.

In other words, I wouldn’t worry about it: just enjoy the music.

ClawHammer, BluTorch and HiFi Guy like this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Dunno if this has already been covered, but before spending a cent on playback equipment, I would go through the records and see what kind of condition they are in, and whether it's anything you'd actually want to listen to more than once.

If the records have been sitting for a long time and were around during the area when cigarette smoking was popular, they are likely covered in dust and filth and will need a good cleaning even if they aren't scratched up and worn out. I would not underestimate the importance of cleaning. A manual RCM for around $200 or less is a good investment if you are serious about playing records.

ClawHammer likes this.
  6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

This. Especially since @ClawHammer is in the UK and not paying what we do on this side of the pond for Rega.

ClawHammer, BluTorch and MonkeyTennis like this.
  7. Crab33

Crab33 Forum Resident

Cartridges are a personal choice, as they determine the character of the sound. They also should be matched to the arm in terms of stylus compliance (how soft the suspension is) - a low-mass arm works well with a high-compliance cartridge and a high-mass arm works well with a low-compliance cartridge. The RB330 arm of the Planar 3 has an effective-mass of 11g, which is verging on low-mass.

In general terms, Audio Technica cartridges are well-liked and considered good value for money. The respondent above uses the AT-VM750SH which is quite pricey but there are cheaper models with similar body dimensions - the equivalent model to the Elys 2 would probably be the AT-VM530EN. And from Ortofon, the equivalent would be the 2M Blue. The choice of cartridge might depend on what your dealer sells, if you want them to install it. Who are you buying from in the UK?

The phono pre-amp should actually be chosen to suit the cartridge, especially in terms of load capacitance - a cartridge usually has an advised load capacitance. Generally, the AT cartridges and Ortofon 2M cartridges need a phono pre-amp of low internal capacitance. The Rega Fono Mini has a capacitance of 100pF, which is relatively low. However, I acknowledge that you have a budget to keep to, which is why I thought a budget phono pre-amp should initially suffice - you can always upgrade this later. The ART DJPre II is a well-liked model and costs around £60, plus it has selectable capacitances of 100pF and 200pF.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    ClawHammer likes this.
  8. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

That's been the standard on the P3 and RP3. I would do almost anything I could to get them to swap it for something else. Even if it's a minor credit to delete. I am not alone is my disdain for the Elys2. It's a poor tracker and many of us find it to just be pretty awful overall. You can do much better with a 2M Blue, or a Nagaoka MP200, or any of several very fine offerings for Audio Technica. Sorry if I'm calling your baby ugly, but I found the Elys2 to be that bad. Of course maybe I got a dud, but there are several here that have expressed similar opinions.

ClawHammer likes this.
  9. BayouTiger

putting the record directly on the platter is OK. In theory, the VTA would be adjusted to compensate, but Not really necessary to agonize over it unless you move to a Shibata or other more complex stylus that is fussy about the angle. Rega doesn't even offer such an adjustment (it can be done with shims) and your Rega cart is designed to match the arm height. If you want an improvement over the felt (which was really cheap and flimsy on my RP3) get a cork mat and don't look back.

Turntable Lab: Cork Record Mat

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    ClawHammer likes this.
  10. BayouTiger

Nothing stupid about that! Vinyl is a hands on medium and it is just as important that you like the look as any other factor. I'm also busting you a bit on the cartridge, but if you don't have a frame of reference.you may like the Elys2. It does have a big advantage in the Rega uses a three point mount on it so it's crazy simple to set up (Not that others are difficult). Trying out new cartridges is one of my favorite things about vinyl. The cartridge effects the sound more than any other component in your system except speakers.

ClawHammer likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If OP is in the UK they may want to consider a used Rega in good condition if they are set on the brand. A new inexpensive starter cartridge and a new belt for the used turntable would be advisable.

ClawHammer, HiFi Guy and BayouTiger like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

best of luck in your endeavor! hope it works out well...I had a blast collecting vinyl when I was younger...

ClawHammer and MonkeyTennis like this.
  13. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

This, really, squares with my view. I now have a Dynavector cart which is significantly better than the Elys. But it cost significantly more, was a little fussier to fit, warranted a better (e.g. more expensive phono stage), and didn’t attract the discount available from buying a Rega cart on a Rega table. I lived with - and to be honest, greatly enjoyed - the Elys 2 for a good few years. My friends had better TTs and carts, but, even with that frame of reference, I continued to enjoy listening on my TT. I upgraded because, not despite, the Elys 2, very much led by the thought, if the Elys 2 on a P3 sounds this good, a MC cart on the P8 can only sound better.

In my opinion, if you enjoyed it in store, you’ll love it at home. The sound of the cart will warm a little as it burns in (in a way you should find pleasing). It may well be that, as you upgrade your system over time, you might want to take a step up in either cart or TT, but, for now, I suspect the Elys will bring you much listening pleasure. For my first venture into hi-fi, I wanted an easy, headache free option - the bundled deals from Rega offer that. As you become more confident, you can play around a little more.

I appreciate others may disagree - and, if you are unsure, perhaps see if your dealer can demo another cart…

ClawHammer likes this.
  14. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I would say the Rega is a good choice, but I agree with some of the others that the P3 is very worthwhile upgrade IF you can afford it. From my first turntables as a teenager I always bought a better turntable than the rest of my system rated. I always upgraded to the best cartridge I could afford to put in that turntable when it was time for a cartridge change. The idea: protect my records and get the best sound out of them while the rest of my system is catching up. My records I bought at 16 sound great today.

Your dealer may have options for the cartridge, pre-amp and cables that might help save some money and make the P-3 more reachable. If it is to be the P-2 then saving a little money might help with a solution (answer) to record cleaning. Depending on the condition of the records this may be a factor in your budget. I would suggest bringing a few representative samples to the dealer to establish what you are dealing with. You will also see how they sound on each of your options. Depending on how some of these lesser priced options sound, I would consider doing them in the short run to help get your foot in the door with the best turntable you can possibly afford.

You also need to assess how serious you think you will be about playing records going forward. Is this just to allow you to hear these records as a matter of interest or nostalgia, or do you see yourself getting more into collecting and playing LPs.? That may help with the decision on P-2 vs. P-3. I have known my wife for 40 years now. One of the things that sealed the deal for me was she understood my love for music. She always enjoyed listening to my system and sharing the time together. As a result she often found a way to help get creative about new equipment. If it was something I wanted and it cost more than the birthday or Christmas present budget could handle, maybe it could be a combined birthday/Christmas present for me. Or perhaps it is something you both give each other. It will be your next birthday present too. When we got our first CD changer, they were pricey for a good one, so we made it a birthday/Christmas present for both of us. We bought it at Christmas and for our birthdays we exchanged cards and one CD as a token present. I'm certainly not trying to tell you how to run your life. I'm just saying depending on the level of mutual interest there may be creative ways to solve this problem.

Good luck with whatever route you take. I hope it is a Happy Birthday for your wife in 3 weeks!

MonkeyTennis, ClawHammer and Swann36 like this.
  15. thebisch

thebisch Forum Resident

I meant AVR HT recievers.

ClawHammer likes this.
  16. ClawHammer

Thanks Jim. I have now ordered the P3 and it’s in store waiting for collection and gift wrapping. For the price of the TT they have given me a phono stage, cables, cleaner and will wet clean a few of my records for free and the rest at a discount. I’m going to order some sleeves to replace the bad ones as no point in putting freshly cleaned back into dirty sleeves.

Further down the road I plan to purchase an amp with built in phono stage (possibly a Rega Brio) and a pair of speakers (possibly B&W 606 S2 anniversary edition) at which time the dealership will take back the current phono stage. At that point we’re just going to listen to out records and grow the collection. Next upgrade will be in a few years when the stylus needs replacing.

I like your logic on birthday/Christmas to get the next piece of kit. TBH nobody in my family ever knows what gifts to buy me for various reasons that I won’t go into so I don’t ask for or receive much on special occasions. This means my wife doesn’t mind when I do splurge on these things even though it’s not for a special occasion.

We’ve both always enjoyed listening to music and going to concerts together. Although we actually have different musical tastes when it comes to new music, with the old stuff from the 70’s and 80’s our tastes are exactly the same. For this reason, we listen to the older music together, mainly in the car during long journeys of which we have many as her mum lives four hours away. We’re currently repurposing a room in the house that will have bookshelves for all our books and a place for a records and TT. Hopefully we will use this room to sit, read, drink coffee and listen to old records together.

We’ve also started visiting second hand shops together and bought a few more old records and I’ve found that we have a record shop local to us selling all vintage stuff that we’ll visit together over the weekend. So it already looks like this will be a passion we can share together for the rest of our lives which is obviously a great thing.

All the best,
    CH

Stone Turntable and MC Rag like this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you play records a lot don't plan on the stylus lasting "a few years". You may only get a year out of it. After 500-700 hours, most styli are toast. Get a cheap clicker counter or a counter app, then divide by 3 to get a good estimate of hours.

ClawHammer likes this.
  18. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I think a P2 is a great place to test the waters with vinyl. You can always upgrade down the road if the interest sticks and sell it off without taking too much of a hit if it doesn’t.

ClawHammer likes this.
  19. ClawHammer

That’s fine… just don’t tell my wife, lol

20. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Congratulations to both you and your wife CH!
    I understand we can't always get what we want, but sometimes budgets can be flexible with some creative thinking. It depends on the level of interest of both of you. I think you made the right decision getting the P3. The P2 is a good solid entry at it's price point, no doubt. The P3 was very highly rated by many audiophile publications (as I am sure you are well aware now). It sounds like you got a great turntable due to a great dealer. .By spending more on a better turntable you may be able to get more useful life out of it before you wish to upgrade. The total cost of ownership of the turntable may actually be less in some ways. Of course your number of vinyl purchase may go up even more due to the better sound you are getting.

It sounds like my wife and I are similar to you and your wife. We have different musical tastes too. However we both are not fans of most new music. I have a wider range of genres and artists that I like, but we have many musical genres in common. When we are listening together I take great pains to pick music I know she likes. At the record store, I also try to pick up some albums I know my wife will like. These aren't something I need to own, but I know she will love the music.

The multi-occasion gift has been a great way to get the items one or both of us want. I know what you mean about people not knowing what to get you. These days they do for me. When people ask, I have a saying: "A White Christmas is nice, but a Green Christmas is in many ways even better". I can combine several cash gifts into a bigger fund. I will sometimes say: "I want to get XXXX and I am saving up for it, so feel free to just give me cash". Rather than trying to figure out what to get me this is simple for them. For you rather than get a gift that is well intentioned but of little actual use to you, they can help you get something you really want. Plus these days since my return to vinyl, a gift card from my favorite record store is a safe bet. In days past an iTunes gift card was another go to gift.

Congratulation on your P3. I am happy for you that you can look forward to a life sharing music together with your wife. It is priceless.

Jim

MonkeyTennis and ClawHammer like this.
  21. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Audio Technica VM95ML, tuneful, detailed, dynamic and tracking and lack of IGD is excellent regardless of cost. With an easily replaced stylus, you would never need to worry about set up again. With the correct loading, which all the Rega phone stages give (has your dealer got any s/h ones), it also gives a very flat response.

The Planar 3 is an excellent turntable.

If you play many 45s, or simply want an easy, good value, bolt on sonic improvement, you can also later add the Neo which gives 33 / 45 at a touch of the button, allows adjustment to exactly 33.33rpm though the latest Regas with EBLT belts are good anyway. For the Rega distractors, no, it until essential.

Happy listening!

Stone Turntable and ClawHammer like this.
  22. ClawHammer

Thanks Randoms. Thinking I just stick with the stylus that comes with it for now as I've already spent more time/money than originally intended, lol. I will look into this when I need to replace though. Yes, the dealer does have second hand equipment so when the time comes to purchase a phono stage I may get lucky but I already know I want a Rega phono so chances will be slim. I also saw the NEO and thought that would be a worthwhile sonic upgrade for the future.

Randoms likes this.
  23. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

If you have not already, I would let your dealer know that you could be interested in a used Rega Phono Stage. You never know when they might get one as a trade-in.

ClawHammer and Randoms like this.
  24. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

It will play ok, but your A/V receiver is not considered high-end. I have perhaps 20 years ago what was considered a high quality and expensive Denon 5.1 A/V receiver. I was amazed how poor it sounded in stereo vs my stereo gear, but I bought it only for TV. Although you do not say so, I believe the speakers are the B&W M1. Very expensive for such a tiny speaker.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    ClawHammer likes this.
  25. Texado

Texado Aspiring Audiophile

I am in the same position as yourself, recently inherited 850 good, to great, to un-played records from the 1970's. First step was to research and enter the entire collection into Discog's to see just exactly what I have and ascertain which, if any, are valuable, but since the entire lot was free value is not a critical point. Knowing exactly what years and the recording details etc, etc. are a very enjoyable aspect of owning the collection.

Second step was to switch the entire set over to Mofi sleeves and or Nagoka inner sleeves in the case where the original inner sleeves (photo's, lyrics, tour dates) etc. made them worth keeping. In the case of mint condition Lp's the 4 mil. outer jacket sleeves were purchased to keep them in "as new" condition.

Third step was to purchase Carbon Fibre and Mofi cleaning brushes, and when I decide on which Static Gun to purchase the entire lot will be zapped with the gun, dry brush cleaned to the best of my ability, Graded, or in my case, inspected to look for any signs of damage and re-sleeved. Attempting to dry clean the records without a static-gun is, in my opinion is a total waste of time. A record cleaning machine is not necessary at this point until A) much research is done and the albums are actually played and listened to.
    Amps, pre-amps and speakers do not destroy Lp's but cheap and improperly set-up turntables do. In my case I am 100% certain that if I rush in and purchase a so-so turntable, I will abhor it six months later, regret the decision and lust for a better model. I have watched 90% of Michael Fermer's videos so far and I would recommend them to any novice. I was a former audiophile many decades ago so I am not totally ignorant to what high end Audio is all about. My biggest hurdle to overcome is the fact that my wife has her eyes set on a $189 turntable. I have a 1972 Dutch Electric Ladyland that has never been played ... and I would destroy it with that turntable/tone-arm ??
    Bottom line is this, take your time, don't rush and don't compromise too much. You want to enjoy the media, but no to destroy it.

ClawHammer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.