FISHER all-tube receivers from 1961-66 are cheap and sound wonderful!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Earlier in this thread someone recommends installing a "current in-rush device" in Fisher receivers. The reason is to limit the amount of current when powering on the receiver to prevent damage.

Sorry for the dumb question but what exactly is a current in-rush device?

Scott

2. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

No, it wouldn't, and it's very easy to sever the link that "bridges" the two inputs to get two separate inputs. (It's a resistor and capacitor that's connected to the "hot" side of the RCA input jacks for Aux and Tape In.)

Unfortunately no, as the "Tape Head" input is part of the Phono preamplifier circuit and can't be "undone" from it.

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  3. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Thanks for the info. What is the technical reason that there wouldn't be additional noise introduced if the "Aux" and "Tape" were both routed to the same selector pot, vs having them separate?

4. monkboughtlunch

Regarding number 1, should all capacitors in these receivers be replaced? Or just specific capacitors?

5. Anything that looks like this should be replaced. [​IMG]

6. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Not a dumb question. Search google for "in rush current limiter" for more detail than I can provide u with. Basically it will protect your on/off switch thats directly behind the volume pot. I will tell you this, if you leave your Fisher turned "on" all the time and just use the switch on the Surge protector then you will save the eventual switch replacement I was faced with. I opted for this route as there is not a lot of spare real estate under there. Im sure some of the more creative builders would find somewhere but I just turn the vol down and then off on the surge...

7. monkboughtlunch

Does anyone know if the serial numbers can be used to determine the specific year of production for the 400, 500b, 500c, 800b and 800c?

Also are there any specific speaker models/brands (either vintage or new) that are generally accepted to be extremely complementary with these Fisher receivers?

8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Anything with 89dB efficiency or better should be fine. I've gotten excellent results with a pair of restored KLH Sixes and a pair of Rega R1's (with a powered sub connected to the center channel output).

That's exactly what I do. I plugged my Fisher into one of these, and the plugged the adapter into the back of my Monster power center.

[​IMG]

fishcane and morinix like this.
  9. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

Howdy. I read the first post of this thread almost 4 years ago when the thread began and instantly wanted a 500 C!! Shortly after I found and purchased a nice working unit that needed a rebuild. I really can't believe it's been four years but I finally sent it out to Craig at NOS Valves and just got it back this afternoon....very excited to listen tonight! First photo was taken four years ago when it was purchased...second photo is after rebuild and third is the unit ON! Had to share...thanks!

DSC01042.JPG IMG_0388.JPG IMG_0400.JPG

10. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

Looks Great- you are in for a treat!

Enjoy!!
    Paul

11. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

It sure looks great!!

12. Unluckystrike

Unluckystrike Rock Garage Curator

Anything from the Klipsch Heritage Series will sound great!

fishcane likes this.
  13. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Want. one.

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Congratulations!! What a beauty. Hope you have the chance to turn it up loud tonight.

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've got mine warmed up and enjoying it tonight. An iconic piece of American audio history. Just wait until you state rolling those 12ax7 tubes and find out how much fun that can be!

16. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

Thanks guys! Just listened and man the Fisher sounds amazing! So happy with it...Craig @ NOS valves did a great job. Listened to a first UK pressing of London Calling and then a first pressing of Beatles For Sale...by the time the second side hit the tubes were hot and the vocals in EIGHT DAYS A WEEK almost brought tears to my eyes! Plan on listening to Who's Next..Bryter Layter and some jazz tomorrow. Goodnight!

Daniel Thomas and Matt Starr like this.
  17. action pact

I listened to my tube cut BFS last night through my Fisher 400... That album does sound pretty amazing when paired with a quality tube amp, very 3D and holographic. :righton:.

18. action pact

Aw, what the hell... here's a recent photo of my 400 on the FleXy Rack I just built. Man, I love that Fisher!

[​IMG]

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Gorgeous set up AP!

action pact likes this.
  20. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Was it that clean when you first got it or did Craig do that?

21. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

Yes, nice set-up action pact!! I would love to own your Thorens...must sound super with the Fisher! My Fisher was very clean when purchased...Craig did all the necessary upgrades.

22. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

Congrats on the fisher! I just sent my 500c to Craig a few months ago myself for an overhaul. He does great work, and lucky for me he is only about an hour and a half south of where i live.

23. action pact

Many thanks! BTW, the parchment lamp on the record cabinet was purchased in your neck of the woods, at the big Alameda flea market. The pole lamp was found at a garage sale across the bay in SF. Oh, and the lava lamp was purchased at Target in Colma!

Thank you, yes, the Thorens is a lifetime purchase. I got it for a very reasonable price a few months ago on eBay, and it only needed some light maintenance. I don't expect I will ever feel the need for an upgrade!

'Audiodon' on AudioKarma, who lives one town away from me, did a bunch of upgrade work on my 400 a couple of months ago. He did some power supply mods which lessen the stress on the tubes and allow it to run cooler, replaced some tubes with better matches, and modded the phono stage to correct the upper bass hump. It sounds pretty spectacular now! Like the TD-124, my Fisher is also a lifetime purchase.

Aside from the wonderful sound these old Fishers produce, I am completely smitten by its timeless, elegant, understated appearance. It looks as good as it sounds, and that's important to me!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    Daniel Thomas likes this.
  24. monkboughtlunch

I just tested a Fisher tube receiver that has the combined "Aux-Tape" selector, as found on the 400, 500c and 800c. When RCA cables are connected to Aux inputs, the circuit appears to defeat any cables also connected to "Tape" inputs. Even if the device sending to a signal to the "Aux" input is turned off, it dramatically attenuates the signal amplified from the "Tape" input. Only after the RCA cables connected to "Aux" are unplugged, am I able to hear the full signal of cables routed to "Tape" on the "Aux-Tape" selector. An alternate method of listening to the tape input is the "Tape Monitor" slider switch but this is not as good in fidelity as the "Aux -Tape" selector position. Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something? Strange that Fisher designed the circuit this way on the 400, 500c and 800c. The circuit on the 500b and 500b had a separate "Aux" and "Tape" position on the selector potentiometer.

This leads me to conclude that the "Tape" input on "Aux-Tape" is essentially worthless on the 400, 500c and 800c if the "Aux" input has input cables plugged in. It essentially means you can only have one usable audio input-- "Aux" --(besides phono). But I want connect more than one device!

This leads me to want to get some source of passive analog selector switch box for multiple audio sources and then route the output of that into the "Aux" position. Would this be the only solution to connect multiple line level audio sources via "Aux?" Can anyone recommend a switchbox that doesn't add any noise/distortion to the signal?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That's exactly what I do. I use the Niles AXP input selector box and it's perfect. No noise/distortion that I can detect. I'm sure you can find something less expensive or build one yourself but this gets my highest recommendation:

[​IMG]

jriems and Daniel Thomas like this.