Fleetwood Mac "Fleetwood Mac" on HDTracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Bostock, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't know who's responsible for the mastering of the recent FM titles on HDTracks but the sound is wonderful. Today the self-titled album came out. It sounds just as good as Mirage, Tusk, Tango. And it was clearly a full analog recording, so no digital cut off. It sounds awesome. Check it out.

2. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Well it was an analog recording but it aint anymore. Of course it has a digital cut off, at half the sample rate.

3. David Bostock

Ok, you win. :D

4. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

But thankfully, not at 1/4 the rate, which is what he was referring to.

5. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Thanks for the info, but where's the pic of the spectral display? ;)

6. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

To the OP - just now had a look at HD Tracks. I see they have F.Mac s/t at both 96k and 192k - which did you get? And as above, would be good to see the spectral display.

I see that they have Rumours at 96k only - must be the digital track used for the DVD-A rather than a fresh A to D conversion. I've got the DVD-A, sounds good, but not quite as good as our hosts vinyl remaster!

Actually Rumours doesn't have Silver Springs (which is on the DVD-A). If they got the DVD-A files, why not get this track as well??

7. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Anyone know if these Fleetwood Mac transfers (with the exception of Rumours) are recent transfers? Would be interesting if these represent new investment by Rhino/Warner as opposed to recycling past efforts.

8. David Bostock

Resurrecting this thread because I think you all are really missing out on an awesome presentation of this album. Here are some helpful analyses.

First Dynamic Range:
    Code:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Analyzed folder: /Volumes/Data/Media Library/Music/Fleetwood Mac/Fleetwood Mac (24_96) (HDTracks)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     DR		Peak		RMS		Filename

DR13		-1.87 dB 	-16.14 dB 	01 Monday Morning.m4a
     DR13		-2.44 dB 	-18.15 dB 	02 Warm Ways.m4a
     DR12		-1.12 dB 	-15.56 dB 	03 Blue Letter.m4a
     DR12		-1.83 dB 	-15.23 dB 	04 Rhiannon.m4a
     DR13		-2.62 dB 	-17.10 dB 	05 Over My Head.m4a
     DR14		-1.47 dB 	-20.03 dB 	06 Crystal.m4a
     DR12		-1.79 dB 	-16.04 dB 	07 Say You Love Me.m4a
     DR11		-6.05 dB 	-19.43 dB 	08 Landslide.m4a
     DR13		-2.50 dB 	-18.73 dB 	09 World Turning.m4a
     DR15		-2.40 dB 	-18.92 dB 	10 Sugar Daddy.m4a
     DR10		-2.99 dB 	-15.07 dB 	11 I'm So Afraid.m4a

Number of files:	11
     Official DR value:	DR13

==============================================================================================

And here's a spectral analysis:

[​IMG]

Most importantly, this is the best I've ever heard this album.

Cheers,
    David

SinnerSaint likes this.
  9. David Bostock

I chose the 96k version...

10. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Dang, I just bought 5 more titles from them but didn't notice this one. I was about to go to the no new music in 2011 thread and state that I was done for the year, but I guess I'm not quite done. Now to decide whether to go for the 192k version, which is likely.

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So is the assumption that this is a flat transfer from the original master and not something that has been EQ'd etc (ie. remastered)?

12. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Ditto ;)

13. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

OK, I sprung for the 192k version and I'm officially done buying music for the year. At least my wallet hopes that will be the case, but if something good shows up I've proven to have very weak will power.

JayNYC likes this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Very nice, thanks for posting. I may need to go ahead and grab this. The MFSL vinyl sounds so yummy, but I'm up for another digital version I suppose.

15. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Here's is how 24/96 Rhiannon spectrum (full track) & frequency analysis graph (first 109.2 sec) look like in Audacity, so 24/192 may be an overkill:

Attached Files:

SinnerSaint likes this.
  16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

can you pretend I'm a dummy (ahem) and explain this to me?

17. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Perhaps, but there is a 15% discount available. Use code 'vip15', but you can only use it one time.

18. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Both track spectrum & frequency analysis curve show that there clearly is content above 22 KHz, which means that 24/96 track at least was not stemmed from 44 KHz PCM material ;). However, the spectrum reaches -87dB at 26KHz and stays below -90dB after 35 KHz, meaning that going 24/192 & extending frequency to 96 KHz will likely not have any significant impact (at least for this excerpt of music). BTW, there is a slight peak of ~4dB at 29 KHz (dither maybe?)...

19. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident

I took a chance on this in 24;96 and it sounds awesome!
    Best I've ever heard these songs. Completely made me re-examine this album.

20. Sandeep725

Sandeep725 Forum Resident

Hi - apologies if this is has been answered before, but can someone tell me if the "Rumours" downloads are based on the Hoffman/Gray mastering please?

21. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

so, they can release it online in this good quality, but not on cd?

22. David Bostock

No, it is not. It is pulled from the same source as the older DVD-A. Not bad, but definitely not a Hoffman/Gray. And I don't think it's as good as the other Fleetwood Mac downloads.

23. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

This seems like a new and hopefully continuing trend. Fleetwood Mac and Tusk have not been released on DVD-A in the past. I will be grabbing this, great album!

24. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

No reviews? I have downloaded it and will be listening to it this afternoon. Will be back!

25. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Are there any alternatives than HD Tracks for this and other Fleetwood Mac hi res downloads? HD Tracks only sells to those living in the USA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.