FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours -- New WB vinyl, "Gold Dust Woman" mix variation question...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2007.

1. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

We used to have the 8-track when I was a kid back in '77. It's long gone now, but I do remember it having the cold start and longer ending to "GDW" over the LP that I bought by '81 or so. I never paid attention to what else was different.

I wonder how much care was given to the tape releases of Rumours. Obviously the master tape had to be used at some point by someone to make a master dub to send to all the high-speed tape duplicating plants. Would Ken Perry have done that too? Whoever it was apparently didn't bother to fade in and out "GDW". And were 8-tracks actually dubbed at high speed like cassettes were?

2. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Yes, as were pre-recorded Reel-to-Reels. BTW, all of the US cassettes of Rumours were made at Capitol's Winchester plant for many years. They made all of WEA's Corp. I (Warner, Reprise, Sire, Bearsville, ect.) casettes for almost 10 years. Most East Coast Warner vinyl came from Winchester during that period, but they made all US Warner Brothers cassettes. Not sure about 8-tracks.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

8-Track and Cassette masters of "Rumours" were prepared by Ken Perry at Capitol. They did WEA label tape duplications. The open reel of "Rumours" was a Magtec duplication and they did their own mastering from a master dub supplied by WEA Records. The Magtec tapes according to a friend of mine were duplicated on modified Ampex duplicators at 8X. Most open reel duplicating equipment didn't get modernized as much then so most open reel tapes were duped at lower speeds than 8-Tracks and Cassettes. Magtec then was a quality oriented company.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

So I discovered why GOLD DUST WOMAN fades up sometimes on various cuttings.

As you know if you read this thread there is an "A" set and a "B" set of album masters. The "B" set was stored at Capitol (with the red spine stripe tape and all) and used by Ken Perry to cut the original few years of lacquers.

So, Ken mentioned that he cut that album over 62 times in just 8 years. That has to be a record. Wait it IS a record. Sorry for the pun. At any rate, the oxide just fell off of the first 8 seconds at the beginning of GOLD DUST WOMAN so from that point on it was just faded up.

Heh, of course, when they started using the "A" set there were slightly different mixes on there of 3 songs and then those got switched around, etc. until it became a mess at the end of the LP era. Since they don't cut records anymore no one bothered to fix it until Kevin and I came along.

So, that's the reason the song fades up. The reason for the alternate ending we discovered earlier in this thread.

So, no big artistic vision fade up thing happening, only a bruised tape. Heh. Just thought some of you would be interested in WHY it is sometimes faded up!

5. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Thanks Steve! :)

I'm confused. Which ending is the "correct" ending?

6. Steve Hoffman

Which ever one you like the best.:)

Actually: The primal scream ending without the broken glass effect when she sings"Black Widow".. That is the ORIGINAL version, switched out because of manufacturing problems with vinyl "non-fill" caused by the wacky increase in dynamic range and sudden bursts of sound. Too many returns coming back so they swapped endings to a less dynamic (but still interesting) ending.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Steve,

Does this mean the master has suffered other damage being played so often? I shudder of bad memories from cassette days of 'wearing out' my favorite tape.

8. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

So to make it simple. We will be getting the non-fade up/cold start beginning and the loud primal scream ending?

That kind of sounds funny huh? :p

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Great info - thanks Steve!

10. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks for the info, Steve. It is interesting to learn the 'mysteries' behind things like this fade-in. Sometimes what people become used to, and consider to be the 'real thing' is due to simple 'fixes' to normal problems, not the result of transcendental decisions. Interesting nonetheless because it tends to put things in perspective. :)

11. Steve Hoffman

I was asked to bump this thread up.... Here 'tis.

12. Steve Hoffman

I just re-read this entire thread. No wonder this project went way over budget.:sigh:

13. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Is this finally being released?

14. chiagerald

chiagerald Forum Resident

It's really fantastic to read and see how Steve and the forum could work so well together... especially on this thread!!!! Just amazing... great stories too... Really looking forward to this version of Rumours! Thanks for all the hard work! I've got my hard earned money parked on this already :)

15. overbudget usually means things are finished and PEOPLE are ready for a return-on-investment.....well, when's the anouncement?

16. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Stop teasing us Steve. Bring it on. :goodie:

17. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

How about including a bonus 45 of Go Your Own Way/Silver Springs?

18. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I pretty sure it's the band that is holding it up.

19. sbroache

sbroache Forum Resident

Maybe they want to hold this one off for the tour to kick off

20. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

So glad you resurrected this thread! Who knew about the differences? Not me. Can't wait to hear the newly, Steve-mastered LP! :righton:
    --------- Chris

21. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I can count on one hand, well maybe two hands, the number of titles that I must have TWO COPIES of.....Steve's version of Rumors will be added to that list. :agree:

22. Steve Hoffman

Trust me, not too many people give a darn about stuff like this. I do, so others must suffer..:)

23. Dream Operator

Dream Operator New Member

Wow, what a crazy ride for you, Steve. I enjoyed the suffering personally. Though I would go nuts from doing the work you have done. I know people get burned working on the same material so much. Can you enjoy this album anymore?

Tim

24. Steve Hoffman

Of course. I restored the thing to its original pristine form after 25 years of reverb drenched revisions. Proud of that. Whether anyone will ever hear it or not is another story..

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What's the issue with reverb?