FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours -- New WB vinyl, "Gold Dust Woman" mix variation question...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2007.

1. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

According to an interview done with Richard Daschut he confirmed that they needed to resort to using the safety master because the of the deterioration from repeated wear. It is such a shame that all of Steve's efforts have apparently been shelved and it's a huge loss to fans.

2. Oddio

Oddio Forum Resident

:agree: :(

3. That was never even the plan. It was to be an LP release.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

That's not entirely true.

5. Hmmm, I never heard a CD release was being contemplated, very interesting if it was. Oh well, seems like we'll never know . . . which leads me to my question, just which version of Gold Dust Woman did Steve use? He had said that he wanted us to wait until the LP came out to be surprised, but seeing as it isn't coming out (or, apparently, isn't coming out anytime soon), are we still going to be kept in suspense?

Did any test pressings ever escape into the wild? :)

6. Sckott

I mentioned that in page 10 of this thread. He used the whole take. Not the fade-in, not the one that fades out early.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Steve said there were 3 different endings.

8. Sckott

I only know of three different variations of the same song, LP and CD, basically variations of the same take, same song. He strove to use "the whole thing" and did that....

...and then some.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The question was which variation he went with!

10. Sckott

Answered, Luke.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Where?

12. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Sckott, did they not like what was done to it? Feel like it was " messin with their music" or something?

Well, its too bad, but at least we dont have to wonder when... looks like never.

Im glad at least we got some Van M out of the situation.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

"The whole thing" doesn't answer which of the above was used.

On the other hand, none of this really matters anyway.

14. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I thought the loud scream was being used without the fade in.

15. Sckott

Never heard the track without the b/g weirdness, nor with the more intense.

Had to have been the second version used. Sorry if that wasn't the help you want.

16. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Very stupid. Fleetwood Mac is losing a lot of money not to see this project through.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The loud howl version was utilized, but without the "fade out" thus showing the full cold ending as it was mixed on the final master tape. Previous cuttings of the LP have various lengths of a fade out. There are several variations.

Since the song was mixed this way, yet faded out early in previous LP cuttings, it would have been a restoration in the same way MFSL issued a full cold ending to one of the songs on Jackson Browne's The Pretender LP.

It's always nice to get a little "more" with a reissue of a 30 year old LP, rather than less. This story might not be over. It just has to go through more managers and people.

18. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Exactly, heck put a marketing sticker on it stating that it has some new surprises on it.. I dont know? New and improved "Howl" version lol.

Seriously though... market it someway.

I hope you're right that it isnt over on this.

19. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Considering the master tapes are "warm and yummy", the remaster is pretty big and bad. What I mean is, John McVie's bass is huge, and it's a pretty aggressive sound. I quite enjoy the mastering, but I've never heard any other version of the album.

20. Millstone

Millstone New Member

The real question is, where the hell did the breaking glass come from.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think it is odd how this thread comes back to life every year or so.

But I did go back recently and listen to both mixes that I have of this song. And while the howl version is great, that other mix shows off Buckingham's rhythm guitar, or the rhythm in general in a different way that is equally great.

Both mixes are very fine and I can see how they both would end up in the keeper pile after mixing was finished.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think it is odd that Steve's vinyl remaster has never been released. What is the state of play ? Potentialy a big release for Warner in vinyl terms. There has never been proper Audiophile reissue of this title just that fairly unimpressive Warner germany issue and a quickly withdrawn Simply Vinyl. MF was going to do a review of this on his site but it suddenly disappeared before it was completed - does this mean test pressings went out to some reviewers and industry insiders ? Do Fleetwood Mac have a problem with vinyl ? - Lindsey Buckingham certainy doesn't as his recent album was on vinyl and an all analogue recording.

23. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I'm sure that a group as notable as Fleetwood Mac probably has a few different lawyers that look out for the group's interests, and who want to make sure that everything applicable is dotted and crossed appropriately, prior to anything being issued.

Wouldn't surprise me if there are legal or monetary issues (or some combination of both) involved...

- Kevin

24. The latest issue of the Acoustic Sounds catalog has the non-45 rpm Hoffman/Gray remaster listed for $24.98 on page 32. Looks like it has finally been released, although this could be (yet another) false alarm.

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Yikes. I think this might be happening now... A release, I mean.