Fleetwood Mac Tour 2018/19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PRW94, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I don't think that's particularly generational, though. Like, Oasis (and subsequently Noel Gallagher's solo work) was another favorite of mine with frustratingly static setlists, despite by the 2000's having a substantial back catalog, and none of it being particularly difficult to play. I honestly think the bands that have significantly different setlists from night to night is a pretty small minority of major touring acts, to be honest.

2. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

I’m watching a YouTube of a recent show and tbh Neil Finn and Mike Campbell look like the only ones alive. I say that having been consumed with FM in the past. But if I’d been in that band I’d want to tour til I dropped. I dunno. Love to all x

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. It was actually a really fun part of the concert imho.

GoodKitty likes this.
  4. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

It’s a pee break tune if ever there was. For the band faod.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Though I have to say the longer this gig goes on ffs, the number of notes dropped and or missed...

It’s not Wagner or Puccini.

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

7. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

8. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

10. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Agreed!

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  11. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Good show. I only went because of Neil Finn and I thought he acquitted himself extremely well. He had a lot of energy and sang nicely. Mike Campbell was also great to hear; his guitar tones are unmistakable. I was surprised that the arena was about 95% full, given they had just played here in early December.

I was disappointed at the absence of anything from Tusk, my favorite FM album, but was impressed that they played a few songs from the band's early years.

I had never seen Fleetwood Mac before and noticed that the extra musicians really filled out the sound. It's probably not a show I would go to again, unless the setlist is radically changed up, but I enjoyed it.

GoodKitty likes this.
  12. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

13. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

14. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

15. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Larry C. McGinnis III and 360-12 like this.
  16. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

5 shows so far on this leg, apparently no setlist changes.

I wonder if anything has been said from the FM stage about Lindsey's hospitalization .... I'm guessing not.

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Probably not, they are probably too aggravated that they are likely paying him a portion of the tour's earnings.

18. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

GoodKitty and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

On a lighter note, I have decided that I'd only be interested in seeing this tour if it included the road crew recreating the Mick Fleetwood/Chariots of Fire/cocaine ritual, as detailed in Mick's book. Possibly my favourite FM story ever.

Fullbug likes this.
  20. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I'm hoping the April 8th Toronto gig doesn't get moved. With the Leafs and Raptors likely
    to be in the play-offs they get priority over dates. My May Pearl Jam concert was moved a
    couple of years back to accommodate the basketball team. Not a big deal if you live in the
    city but when you're from out-of town, different deal....

GoodKitty likes this.
  21. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Saw them Wednesday night in Birmingham, Alabama.

Glad I went. Enjoyable, entertaining concert.

I don't think I would pay to see them again, though.

Quick takes ... Mike Campbell was incredible on guitar, absolutely incredible, and I prefer what he was doing to what Lindsey had been doing, I'm on record that the thrashing about on the Turner had gotten old. IMO Mike also has become the on-stage music director. He was as animated as Buckingham has ever been, he was cueing the band on when to come in, song finishes, etc., and he gave a distinct air of being "in charge." I'm sure Stevie set that up, but they could do worse for a music director and they were all following his cues.

Mick drummed like somebody 40 years younger. John McVie was the backbone as usual.

Stevie seems to have gotten into the pocket as to what she can do vocally ... her high register is completely gone ... and stayed in it and was acceptable. I've said before here, Lindsey was the one the creative musical crowd gravitated to, but Stevie put asses in the seats which is why she won the battle royal with LB. That was reinforced last night. All she had to do was move her little finger and the crowd ... full house ... went crazy. And that woman is a compelling, captivating force on stage even at nearly 71. She knows how to work a crowd. IMO she was playing deliberately to the cellphone brigade up front with some of what she did. Which I don't have an issue with, she's fronting the band now.

Christine is slipping vocally, IMO they had her mixed lower than the others on the more complicated songs. However, she really shined on keyboards, especially on the old FM stuff like Black Magic Woman and the Danny Kirwan song. There have been rumors that she's had physical issues that have impacted her playing, I couldn't tell it though.

People probably have some issues with Stevie singing Black Magic Woman ... but they nailed that song to the wall, very enjoyable.

The Kirwan song was bathroom break time, which was sad because they rocked it.

Neil Finn ... I've sung his praises here, and he's a heavyweight artist in his own right, but actually hearing him live instead of YouTube videos, there was just something odd and off ... not bad, just odd and off ... about him covering LB's songs. I didn't miss Lindsey's guitar playing, I missed his vocals. There is something missing from this incarnation of the group, as competent and professional and entertaining as they were.

I didn't mind Don't Dream It's Over ... fantastic song, and I don't think the crowd really knew Neil from Adam's house cat until he started singing that. Then they knew him and it was a huge reaction.

The crowd was probably 90 percent Boomers of my vintage. Tons ... I mean TONS ... of old Rumours T-shirts in evidence. Everybody seemed to have a wonderful time, they sang along with all the songs (especially Stevie's). It was an evening of nostalgia. And I'm betting that this band never goes into the studio again. It is what it is, for better or worse, creativity be damned, Fleetwood Mac is now and proudly a nostalgia act for Boomers, run by a couple of road rats (Mick and Stevie, and again just from the body language and interactions on stage I'm betting Mike Campbell is getting a serious say-so in what's going on; I know we discussed a while back what Mick saying Mike was a "full partner in the band" meant, I'm betting it means just what it says) who know there's cash to be had from concerts (I've heard they're grossing $1.8 million a night) and nothing to be gained from making new albums.

As far as not paying to see them again ... it's not because I didn't have a good time or didn't enjoy the show, it's because I've done my one shot at the nostalgia and I see no need to revisit that because at their ages, if they go for it again as they all but certainly will, IMO it cannot be any better than it was Wednesday night.

23. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Following up, Stevie did mention Lindsey and wished him well and expressed hope that he fully recovers.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

25. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.