Flight Attendant

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hot Ptah, Dec 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

I loved the final episode and everything about the series. This is one of the best things I have seen on TV since the last season of Better Call Saul ended.

I am puzzled by the negative comments here. Is there another version of The Flight Attendant that you saw?

Dan C and Spencer R like this.
  2. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Regardless of my, or others' opinions of the show (which are just that - opinions, no biggie), I'm glad to read that rockclassics has the sort of relationship with his daughter where they can watch a show together & discuss.

3. Waterloo17

Waterloo17 Forum Resident

There may be a little more unintentional passive aggressive “hate watching” going these days. It’s pretty evident if you read the Fargo thread. Rather than go down the hate road, if I don’t connect with a show within the first episode I don’t continue. That happens a lot more frequently these days. I tried The Flight Attendant and decided not to continue. I may revisit it later, or not.

Hot Ptah, Brenald79 and rockclassics like this.
  4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The most glaring aspect of The Flight Attendant and its main character is that she was drinking like it was the end of the world, drunk in every scene, even on the plane yet at the end, no rehab. Like the DTs don’t exist, she’s fine. What?

rockclassics likes this.
  5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Like I said - this show is far fetched in many places throughout. This is just one example.

I can't really say the most glaring thing that happens in the last episode without disclosing a spoiler.

6. rockclassics

Yes you are right - I am very fortunate to have my relationship with my daughter and thankful for it everyday.

guidedbyvoices and jpelg like this.
  7. Hot Ptah

Did you watch the last episode to the end? She tells her attorney friend at the diner that she is really struggling with not drinking and has been to two AA
    meetings so far.

To me her drinking brought up a lot of poignant emotion, as over the course of the show she admitted to herself for the first time that her alcoholic father had used her as a drinking buddy when she was a pre-teen, which led to her father’s death and the cruel abuse of her brother by both herself and her father. She went through a lot of emotional self-discovery over the course of the show, which is difficult for an addict.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Dan C likes this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And I think we will all exhale with a sigh of relief that--now that your daughter is done-- we are off the hook for watching any more episodes of this show. For now, anyway.

scottabs and rockclassics like this.
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The Rosie character betrayed her husband and sold his company's secrets.... why? I couldn't understand what her motivation was.

10. rockclassics

Money???

Bored wife???

See if she could do it???

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

She's still wanted for a bunch of crimes under the jurisdiction of the Thai police, right? Destruction of evidence and fleeing the scene of a crime, just for starters. They're not gonna just ignore that in season two, are they?

I mostly liked it, if only because maybe I'm a little burned out on the Veronica Mars/Buffy Summers/Jessica Jones types. Watching someone who was barely competent enough to handle a normal life play amateur detective was kind of fun for a change. I did think the finale was awfully padded, though. Flashbacks of things we'd already flashed back to in prior episodes and scenes that went on far too long for no obvious reason except to kill time seemed unnecessary. And FAR too many supporting characters walked away conveniently injured without being dead for my liking. Still, I'll watch season two. Points to Michelle Gomez for playing the most fun character; she's also the best thing on 'Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina.' That's probably not a coincidence.

12. Hot Ptah

She explained her motivation in a monologue. She said that she felt invisible and unnoticed and it was exciting to do what she did. She said that she had not appreciated what she had in her life.

Dan C likes this.
  13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, but.... why was she willing to do that to her husband? I could see her doing other risky things for a thrill, or sabotaging his company because she hated him, but it didn't make sense to me that she would betray him like that when they seemed to have at least a decent relationship.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    rockclassics likes this.
  14. Hot Ptah

She was naive and dumb and didn’t think he would get into trouble. She was seriously deluded.

15. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

That was a weak explanation. Could have been an interesting subplot, but it felt half-baked and tacked on - maybe to gain some mileage from Rosie Perez' "star power."

16. Because with THAT accent she cannot ever be listened to for more than 30 seconds at a time. That's a career-killer. So . . . alternate methods.

17. Hot Ptah

Once again I cannot believe the venomous negativity shown to this show. I realize it is not a great production of Shakespeare. But I thought it was an effective, entertaining crime thriller with more depth to the characters than usual in this genre. I don’t understand the extreme negativity to it on this thread.

AudioEnz, Dan C and Spencer R like this.
  18. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I started to hate-watch it, but grew to like it - so much so that the last few episodes have been my week's highlights (sad but true). It's a useful vehicle for the blonde - kinda reminded me of Run Lola Run - and various drunken exes.

P.S. - Full of woe-is-me cliches and basically incomprehensible, it was a solid B-TV show for these times. My standards are lower than they would have been a year ago. Miranda was fun.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  19. Hot Ptah

I do not understand your “incomprehensible” comment. I also do not understand other people here who say that they couldn’t understand why one character or another did this or that. The dialogue explained everything down to small details. I found the show very easy to understand.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

they showed episode one on regular HBO, and then threw it on HBOmax......not fair, not fair at all.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I really enjoyed this show but really don’t seeing this venomous negativity you keep mentioning. Seems pretty fair criticism.

22. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Show was a hot mess like it’s star Cassie. It started off good but some of those middle episodes were totally off the grid, some of the worst tv I have ever seen. It’s all the plot holes that bother me. And weird flips of the script like the male flight attendant suddenly appearing with a gun and saying he’ CIA. CIA ?

The entire Rosie subplot was also strange. I thought it was part of the overall plot but in the end it was totally separate and she destroyed her marriage/ family for what? A few bucks, a thrill? Jeez.

I hope their isn’t a season two. One was enough.

rockclassics and scottabs like this.
  23. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

What? Dude was obviously CIA.

:winkgrin:

24. Hot Ptah

There is a Season 2. It was announced.

Brenald79 likes this.
  25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

You don't think the CIA would be interested in investigating someone selling information to the North Koreans? Seems like that'd be in their general wheelhouse. I thought it was a pretty reasonable way of connecting the two previously apparently unrelated storylines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.