Floorstander Speaker recommendations for pairing with NAD C368 integrated amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JimmieP, Oct 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmieP

JimmieP Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a new NAD C368 integrated 'hybrid digital' amplifier. It has the additional modular Bluesound unit which I use to stream music from my NAS as my primary source. Also have a Dual 505-3 turntable connected up to the phono stage for occasional vinyl playback.

I'm currently running this into Monitor Audio Bronze 2 bookshelf speakers. I'm finding the sound is lacking a bit of bottom end, and excitement. Plus I'm finding I need to turn the volume up above halfway to get decent listening level (is this a modern NAD thing?).

I previously ran a vintage Pioneer SX-434 amp for these speakers and liked the sound (a lot warmer and bassy, but not as refined and balanced as the NAD) and found I didn't need to turn the volume all the way up (and that amp was quite low-powered as I recall, something like 20w/channel, compared to the NAD's 80w! 70s amps were something else!).

So I'm interested in recommendations for floorstanding speakers for pairing with NAD C368 to bring back a bit of magic...

Looking to spend £500 GBP max (so approx $700 USD), I usually buy second hand, with the view of spending less on older models and getting a lot more for the money. But if there's some new bargains out there I'm all ears.

Only floor standers I've ever had were Ruark Talisman II's which I liked a lot, but that was with a different set-up.

2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The NAD C368 and Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 floorstanders are a great match. You may find a used 12.3 pair that fits your budget. I think that Wharfedale is so common that audiophiles sometimes pass it by, but the Diamond 12.3 have stood up quite well to a lot of competition from other respected speaker makers.

The NAD C368 and Elac F6.2 floorstanders are another great match. They pop up on the used market from time to time and should fit your budget. I’m not a personal fan of most Elac designs (including the Andrew Jones models), but this combo really does sound enjoyable

The NAD and PSB Imagine X1T or X2T are another great match. I love what PSB has (repeatedly) done over the years. Their designs just work well with a wide variety of amplification and in a wide variety of rooms. There are a lot of compromises, IMO, in the X1T but you may find a brand new pair in an open box or scratch & dent sale that fits your budget. Aside from that rare possibility, a used X2T is a better bet. Very nice speakers - really fine value.

In the new market, IMO your budget is insufficient for anything that will do justice to your rather good C368. £500 including VAT for a new pair of speakers will get you nothing but junk. I think you’re right to pursue the used market.

Personally, I think NAD did a great job on the design and functionality of the C368 and, more important, the thoroughly enjoyable analogue output. In auditions the C368 paired with some really expensive speakers has done really well, providing great fidelity, generally very accurate acoustic instrument timbres, responsiveness and dynamics, and with plenty of power for many of the more demanding speaker designs.

There are so many possibilities in the used market when hunting for floorstanders on a £500 budget that it’s impossible to say what you might find once you start searching in earnest. Post back here as you find listings that fit your budget. If I or other SHFers have heard them with the C368 we’ll post our impressions.

3. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

I’ve not this heard this particular model, but my partner has the 3030i standmounts - they are big standmounts, and the bass is very good, goes really quite deep, and the whole presentation is detailed but smooth. They seem easy to drive (Marantz CR612 drives them just fine).
    Anyway, these were £650 when they first came out: Q Acoustics 3050i Floorstanding Speakers

JimmieP likes this.
  4. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

I'm curious what you mean by having to turn up the volume "above halfway". I think I get where you're coming from, as I have several vintage amps but also an Audiolab 6000A, which has a digital display showing dB (which I'm assuming is what you're looking at on the NAD). There's no notch on the volume control, so where's halfway? On vintage amps, we have dots, notches, numbers 1-10, etc. so volume is easy to understand and the control only moves, at max, one full rotation. With many modern amps, we're looking at dBs, with "0" generally representing the loudest the amp can get without distortion. I usually have my volume set anywhere from -40 to -20 dB...mostly in the -30s. This is normal in today's amps. There's a lot of room on that volume dial. But if you're nearing o dB for regular listening, I would think something is wrong with the amp. Also, I believe the C368 is a class D amp...giving it high efficiency, but losing that warmth of class A or A/B, like the vintage amps.

As for speakers, you have a boatload to choose from since your amp is good for both 8 and 4 ohms. But you have some pretty decent bookshelfs, I'd be apt to pick up a used subwoofer and give that a shot first.

Bern and JimmieP like this.
  5. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I’m curious what you eventually pair with the C368, I have this as well and I notice that I really have to crank the volume also. I’m running some Totem Sttaf’s which are decent, but wondering if there is a better match for this amp. My old NAD326bee was super loud using the Sttaf’s so it was a bit of a surprise getting used to the C368. I can certainly still crank the volume no problem, but i have to turn it up more than I’m used to. I notice that this amp sounds really good loud though, very little distortion.

JimmieP likes this.
  6. JimmieP

The NAD C368 can display volume in dB and as a percentage, when on the % option I get up to about 50% easily but I guess plenty of room left. I think I'm used to previous amps where it felt like I barely needed to turn the dial to get things loud. This is probably much better really now with the NAD, just not used to it! I wonder if it's a manufacturer reaction to loud mastering to allow people to more gradually increase volume and not get ears blasted.

Subwoofer idea is interesting, the C368 has a Subwoofer out and High-pass setting so could be well suited. Have no idea what sort of sub would be a good fit, is there a difference between a sub for music vs the home cinema type ones you see everywhere?

hoytis likes this.
  7. Silverwolf

I wouldn’t worry too much about the volume - my little digital amp (on a album that isnt badly compressed) will play comfortably at ‘4 o’clock’ on the dial with no noticeable distortion. Digital amps seem to be very different this way. If you’re at 50%, like you said plenty left for a party!

JimmieP and The Pinhead like this.
  8. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Something doesn't sound right. Maybe check the output levels of the Bluesound? Are they fixed or variable? Doesn't help with the phono, though.

The Pinhead likes this.
  9. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Anything from Polk Audio :righton:

10. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

700 usd/ pair. It probably is no giant killer as stated in the clickbait title :D , but, it should be good and it looks prettier than so many uggggllllies out there.

Jamo Concert 9 Series C 97 II (Black Ash)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  11. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

The Tekton sound is rather polarizing, but I find it offers more solid bottom end than skinnier towers, is reasonably efficient, and plays well with my Sphinx V2, which seems superficially to have much on common with that NAD.

JimmieP likes this.
  12. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

Yeah, I also have a Sansui AU-999 and I barely need to touch it to bump the volume. Very incremental as compared to the Audiolab. You get used to it.

I should have asked what kind of music you're into, as a subwoofer will give you tons of bottom end, great for thumping beats...rock, EDM, dub, etc. where you want to feel it (and I don't think there's any difference between stereo and AV subwoofers, so you can imagine the bass impacts from movies, it's not a refined sound). But if you're into acoustic, vocals, jazz, classical, a sub will most likely not be a good answer. Personally, with that type of music, I think subs don't mesh well with the overall musical experience. It's more noticeable and almost distracting.

JimmieP likes this.
  13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Anything KLIPSCH.

JimmieP likes this.
  14. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

I'm waiting on a pair of Revel F206s for my C368. The rep I spoke with said they should pair well, so I am looking forward to hearing them. I have to say, I bought the C368 with the BluOS option and so far I couldn't be happier with the performance so far. It's great to have so many format options.

15. Silverwolf

Tawaun A Williams and JimmieP like this.
  16. JimmieP

Thanks, a good thought but I'm not sure I can alter things, the bluesound is a module that slots into the amp (rather than one of their standalone products connected via the usual optical/analogue inputs), so is integrated and so I'm not aware of any way of altering the output levels. When you increase the volume on the bluesound app, the volume of the NAD increases (as in they appear to be one and the same).

I think the volume issue is more one of my expectations than any problem with the amp.

17. JimmieP

Interested in these, like the sound of the reviews, and can get these new in a deal for £375, so very tempted.

18. JimmieP

Good point about music taste and sub suitability. I mostly listen to rock (AC/DC, led zep about as 'heavy as it gets for me), country/folk, 60s/70s soul/funk, some jazz. Not particularly interested in physically feeling the kick of the low end, just want things a bit more warm and involving in the bottom end. So a sub may be overkill, hence my initial thought toward floorstanders.

19. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

You could try upgrading from Bronze to Monitor Audio Silver. Certainly not lacking in bottom end and can be bought for little money s/h.

JimmieP likes this.
  20. Silverwolf

Yeah, a few of the engineers come from years of work with Tannoy, but I get the impression they are even better value than some of their models as they are a new ish company. You may even get a model one up the range in your budget. Check ebay, there may be a few mint ones or Ex demo. I like the sound of their relative ease to drive and soundstage, as they use similar tech to some tannoys. Good luck!

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  21. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

I was gonna say these myself....you're getting good advice luckily this is the golden era of budget floorstanders...the JBL Stage floorstanders are killers for thier MSRP and demolition men at their sale price....i just bought the a170 for 179.95 each and the bigger a180's are $239.95 each...killer deals...

22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Klipsch F-200

23. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

Yep, disregard my earlier comment :). With your budget I'd be looking at used Cerwin Vega AT series, Yamaha NS1000, JBL L26, ADS L630 or L710...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.