Fogging

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richbdd01, Dec 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

On a random, very select few records i have noticed that they have a fogging effect that seems to be progressing. This is a very isolated thing (maybe 5 out of the approximate 400 records i have) and my records are stored more or less the same. Is there any way to stop this and does it affect the sound quality?

Do some records just have a tendency to do this? Maybe it is to do with vinyl formulation?

The records affected were purchased in the last year or so and mainly exhibit this in the deadwax area, although i cant make out if maybe this is possibly progressing?!

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Are they in contact with PVC inner jackets ? PVC might release phtalates over time with certain climatic conditions that might fog up the vinyl.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Oh, so the back vinyl is lightening up or turning grey?

4. richbdd01

I replaced the clear RTI sleeves but stored them inside the jacket...maybe that caused it....i dont know. I cant remember if it was slightly fogged in the deadwax when i bought it. The second record is completely clear. Its the Plant/Krauss Raising Sand reissue. It came with the RTI clear frosted type inners. I put the records in standard poly lined sleeves and kept the RTI ones next to the new sleeves.

5. richbdd01

Its turning a grey milky colour..

6. richbdd01

Weird, just checked the record again. Its dark now so i can only see under artificial light and you can barely see any fogging. You'd be hard pressed to noticed if you didnt know it was there. I viewed it under daylight earlier and of course removed the clear frosted RTI sleeves from the jacket.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:shrug: I have no idea but maybe someone else can help.

I don't think that old fashioned, static prone (and thus dust attracting) paper sleeves had this problem. :winkgrin:

Is there a humidity difference? Raining yesterday, dry today? Just a thought.

richbdd01 likes this.
  8. richbdd01

Its definately the PVC i think or something in those RTI sleeves. Ive removed all of them from my collection, not taking any chances. Fortunately, its a small handful and probably less than 5 that have this in any form...

9. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

Usually with the RTI sleeves it rubs right off. I've had a few RTI sleeves that left a residue over time, but it doesn't quite sound like what you're describing. I'd try slightly rubbing the affected deadwax area to see what happens

10. richbdd01

Done a bit more research online and most suggest it is the use of PVC without any paper liner? I think i will be a bit more careful with this in future...

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I had a similar issue with the limited Rhino Doors lp box set that came out in 2008. I'm pretty sure these pressed at RTI.

The sleeves are white paper with glued in poly style inserts. The fogging is occurring where the record touches one of the glued areas. No audible issues though. I tried wiping it off but nothing. I didn't try cleaning on my RCM though, just rubbed the area.

12. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

PVC off gassing. There's a long thread here about it.

13. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

14. rockadelic

rockadelic Forum Resident

This problem is caused by housing the lps in a thick pvc jacket ( same as laser disc covers/covers used by Simply Vinyl a few years back).
    Over time these jackets will affect the vinyl, turning them foggy, it may also affect the lp that is placed next to it.
    There is no way to remove the foggy effect. The sad fact is that many dealers & record stores use them. I see them being used in all the record fairs in London.
    This fog at its worst will cause a swooshing sound in the background during playback.
    I have a few prized lps affected in this manner, very frustrating.
    I will remove all the pvc outer sleeves if I were you.

Dino likes this.
  15. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Yes when I became aware of the problem I removed all heavy PVC outers ( a la simply vinyl) and all those pink and white frosty RTI inner sleeves. Keep them stored separately if you feel you must keep them. It seems the RTI sleeve residue can be removed, the PVC seems permanent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.