Foo Fighters to play two Taylor Hawkins tribute shows

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by autumn daze, Jun 8, 2022.

1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I don't think at all that this is the reason for these shows, but it'd be silly to think it isn't quietly happening, consciously or not. "Touring with different drummers" isn't realistic...rehearsing a whole 2+ hour set with multiple people just isn't practical, or a good use of anyone's time, but certainly you know it's in the back of their minds as they rehearse and play with people for these two shows (Along with simply just getting used to the idea of playing with anyone new behind the kit)

Of course, I've given my prediction as to how this all plays out, but we'll see. I certainly don't think we've seen the last of FF's.

idledreamer and jeremylr like this.
  2. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

It’s really difficult to say whether or not they would continue. I was at the very front for the show on Saturday and loved it all…but it’s just not the same without Taylor behind the drums…he was such a great personality and a huge part of the show..it just wouldn’t to be the same. Who knows?

3. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

It puts Dave in difficult, and unenviable situation, especially after the ‘joy’ of rewarding and celebrated tribute shows. As well as the person who might get appointed to the drum throne, if that happens. Under Pressure…for sure. Maybe a rotating series of worthy drummers including Shane…and Nandi…maybe two rotating drummers…”and then there were two…” lolmost

4. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

Yeah, I saw that and it just totally took me back to when my own father killed himself by overdosing. My little brother was just a bit younger than Shane is now, and yeah... it really hit me. That was real.

JuanTCB likes this.
  5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Maybe Grohl changes the name to something else but keeps the band and adds a new drummer. Different expectations with a new name maybe, which relieves a burden from DG.

6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Dave solo playing songs from both his bands.

7. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Both? He’s been in more than two bands.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  8. Ragged Glory

Ragged Glory Forum Resident

Full concert now appears to be live on Paramount+ in the UK.

autumn daze likes this.
  9. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Interesting thought.

On the basis of Saturday, either Freese, Barker or Rufus Taylor would be great replacements. But I reckon they are all busy for the next couple of years.

Young Shame and Young Nandi were great too, but of course they would be a bit young to be doing full rock tours.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  10. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Would it be terrible to have a few capable drummers on a call list and use whoever is available at the time?

11. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

If they are good, why not?

But even though the Foo Fighters music isn't that complex, I'm sure they'd rather just have one drummer who can play with the same feel as Taylor.

Rufus rag likes this.
  12. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

It’s one thing to learn a couple songs each for a one-off (or two-off) concert. To learn enough songs to play a 2-3 hour show with rotating setlists is another level of dedication for a part time gig.

13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

All his bands. Thank you

14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Maybe the real reason Brian left the last ACDC tour is he can’t do it anymore.

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

16. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

The dude is almost 75 years old and BIB is an inhuman song to pull off at any age. Jesus Christ. He left the last tour because of his hearing and they’ve made a killer album since that Brian sounds great on. No shame in getting older.

17. MikaelaArsenault

18. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

And he was there because Dave called on him, and he answered. Something to be said about that.

19. MikaelaArsenault

20. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

I was more worried about Lars blowing out during Let There Be Rock, but he did good!

21. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

22. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

I saw Metallica this past summer at Boston Calling. My first time seeing them live--- I was completely blown away. My brother in law said after "Lars has lost a step". I was like, "Lost a step ?!? What did he sound like BEFORE???" :yikes:

23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah. And I'll also cut Brian some slack since he hasn't toured in 6 years. I know he guested with Billy Joel once or twice but really, dude has barely sung in public since 2016. That he could do it at all is something, at his age. I think he asked Justin to join him last minute because he was nervous, for these reasons.

24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Yeah, he definitely has. He's adequate enough though. Often, he'll simplify some things a bit (I especially find his drum fills annoying these days) and doesn't play with the same energy and pace of 20-30+ years ago, though that's to be expected at almost 60. I'm happy just to watch a song where my focus isn't drawn to Lars, because it's usually for a negative reason if it is. But he's not the only one who isn't quite the same. James' voice isn't as capable as it used to be. And Kirk can be sloppy with his solos sometimes. But overall, over the course of 2+ hours, they collectively still bring the goods.

25. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I never said there was shame in getting old but, that he just can’t do it anymore.

twicks likes this.