Foobar2000 Mac version finally available

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hermetech Mastering, Dec 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer Thread Starter

2. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

For real? How come there is no mention of it on their web page?

3. Hermetech Mastering

There is, did you click the link I posted?

foobar2000 for Mac

Probably because it's not under active development. Nice to see it out there though.

4. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

Foobar is the best software of its type by far and I have tried most.

johnny q and Hermetech Mastering like this.
  5. Hermetech Mastering

Me too, think I've been using it as my only digital audio player for over a decade now.

6. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

It's insanely fast (I have close to 50000 tracks on a NAS), infaillibly stable and infinitely flexible and customisable. It can be both very simple and incredibly powerful depending entirely on how deep one is willing to dive into it. I wish more software followed the same philosophy of ultimate efficiency.

Hermetech Mastering likes this.
  7. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I suspect that, having written an iOS version of foobar2000, Peter was able to reuse some code for an OS X version.

The iOS version is great, BTW. If you have an iPhone or iPad, you need it.

Hermetech Mastering likes this.
  8. Hermetech Mastering

Yep, I use the iOS version on my phone to stream music from my PC to the phone, and then onto our little portable Bluetooth speakers around the house via Bluetooth, it's very cool!

9. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Hey guys, I'm very intrigued by the minimalism of this software on my Mac. However, I was wondering could I customize it to look something like this?

[​IMG]

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I just loaded foobar2000 onto a Macbook Pro. I'm familiar with fb2k on a Windows PC, but not on a Mac. I don't see an option for transmitting the file to a DLNA server. Doing some research, I see that it is not possible to add 'Components' without jumping through a few hoops (like using 'Wine' software to simulate a PC?).

Am I interpreting this correctly?

11. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

You could use this software to accomplish this:
    Home

Edit: After digging a little deeper this seems to be a lot better for streaming to a DLNA server...and a lot more user friendly:
    Universal Media Server

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks! I'll look into each of them

PooreBoy likes this.
  13. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

I just discovered that someone (kudos!) put together a Snap package with foobar 2000 for Ubuntu based Linux distros. I think it is going to be a tinkering Christmas this year :)

Edit: It looks like it is based on Wine, which can be quite a headache in a Linux box.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  14. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Had to use Wine under Linux Mint Xfce for nothing but Foobar2000.
    Maybe, one day, a Linux version will appear that does allow for the same components to be used - as that is a lot of the fb2k functionality there.
    Linux with Wine + portable 1.3.x fb2k inc. components and customisations works pretty well. Only had a couple of crashes, the windows/panels seem independent of the program and there a few small graphical anomalies.
    But, seeing that there is nothing else comparable for Linux, I have to use Wine.

If the Mac version doesn't like the existing available components, then that could be a deal breaker. Arguably a better program than most, but the add-ons make it something special. I'd imagine that the components leverage a lot of standard Windows things, and changing platform breaks the code, as things don't then behave as they are expected to.

@Ric-Tic if you want some help setting up Wine + fb2k send me a PM. I'll try to help you out.

15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Well, I guess I was living under a rock. This is awesome. I just installed it and happily playing back some high resolution WAV files through my Apogee Duet. I was surprised to see UPnP support built in... that's a game changer for me. I often want to preview mixes through my Sonos speakers, and SonoAir never really did a good job of it.

So... no components? No CD burning?

16. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Yeah...I'd like to jump on the fb2k bandwagon, but with no components available on Mac, no dice for me. Too barebones.

17. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

Please excuse my exceedingly late answer. Your mention of me must have swooshed passed my whimsical mind. Nevertheless, thank you very much for your kind offer.

L5730 likes this.
  18. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

No need for Foobar on Linux when we have the mighty Rhythmbox. ;)

19. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

Indeed! Not to mention all cli-players and mpd-based players, gui or cli. Oh dear, so many players so little time :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.