For Country Music Collectors, post your latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by baptistbusman, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Yesterday, I picked up:

[​IMG]

&

[​IMG]

Exile On My Street and gudnoyez like this.
  2. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    I've spent so much money the last few weeks. This one is so good. His earliest recordings are unbelievable.

3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I've got that one, you get an LPs worth of duets with the fantastic Key Adams. If anyone was deserving of their own Bear Family box...

melstapler and baptistbusman like this.
  4. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

I got that Sturgill Simpson yesterday great album listening to it this very moment.

Nice Marmot likes this.
  5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Classic Country Music Smithsonian CD boxed set, Johnny Rodriguez-For Every Rose on LP, Lynn Anderson's Greatest Hits-Columbia LP, Chet Atkins-RCA Years CD boxed set

6. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I know I'm late to the party but I should be receiving this next week.

[​IMG]

RSteven, keyXVII, Revolver and 10 others like this.
  7. dryce

dryce Forum Resident

This one is wonderful. So nice to see her continuing to perform. Her voice hasn't changed a bit. Van Lear Rose is worth a listen too.

8. Exile On My Street

Supposedly that's the first in a series of new Loretta Lynn albums because she recorded about 100 songs at these same sessions.

Mr. H, Nice Marmot and dryce like this.
  9. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate Thread Starter

I was terribly worried about this album when I first heard about it. When I saw that it had re-recordings of some of her older songs, I figured it would be a throw away like the Intersound releases in the 1990's. What a mistake I made! I was even more afraid of her duet with Willie. Well this has to be the only newly recorded Willie song in the last 15 years that I like. Can't wait for more to come out.

Mr. H likes this.
  10. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

[​IMG]

Hank's Garden Spot E.P. Got it on ebay.

melstapler, Mr. H, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  11. dryce

dryce Forum Resident

It was a surprise to me as well. I haven't always enjoyed some of the Willie duets either. I don't think there are too many that can harmonize with him and sound good. He just seems to have one of those voices. I think they did well with this one though.

baptistbusman likes this.
  12. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Rhino's thirtysomething-track Anthology wasn't cutting the mustard anymore, so this 4CD box was the next step up. I'm finding I actually prefer Bob's later work from the mid-forties onward.

Svein Arne, jonathan, renderj and 7 others like this.
  13. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I picked up a 2-fer of Steve Young's Renegade Picker and No Place to Fall. Man, are these two great albums.

clhboa and The Killer like this.
  14. revolversoul

revolversoul Forum Resident

Just got The Louvin Brothers Close Harmony set. I regret not getting this sooner. Can't stop listening to it

jonathan, melstapler, Mr. H and 3 others like this.
  15. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

'Likes' all round.

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  16. GodBlessTinyTim

[​IMG]

This came in the other day. Bonnie Lou's King recordings represent some of the earliest, pre-Nashville attempts at marketing country music to the broader pop field. She originated classics like "Just Out of Reach" and "Seven Lonely Days" with crossover-friendly flourishes like double-tracked vocals and a backing chorus. Later she moved on to straight pop, R&B covers, and lightweight rock 'n' roll. Unfortunately the collection is weighed down by a handful of abominable novelties, but it's still enlightening and good fun. There's no doubt Bonnie Lou was an influence on Patsy Cline.

McLover, melstapler and panasoffkee like this.
  17. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

Just got this CD from Amazon on Friday. For 5 bucks, I couldn't say no.

[​IMG]

Also managed to nad one of the more hard-to-find Larry Gatlin Monument albums at the thrift store last week.

[​IMG]

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  18. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Seashores of Old Mexico isn't as good as the first Willie/Merle album, but it's definitely a steal at $5!

JRB and Exile On My Street like this.
  19. Exile On My Street

And, of course, everyone (me) will be anxiously awaiting your reviews of these two releases. :agree:

20. jbg

jbg Senior Member

Just recently heard 'There Goes My Love' by Buck Owens and I'm looking to find it on cd. Don't see it on the Rhino or Curb greatest hits cds. Is Bear Family the only way to go?

21. Exile On My Street

It's resembles country lite with the 80s gloss, but anything that costs $5 with Merle or Willie's name on it is a bargain worth taking advantage of.

22. GodBlessTinyTim

[​IMG]

Been hunting fervently for this box set for the past month or so, but it's seeming increasingly unlikely one will crop up within my price range. A copy recently sold on Amazon for $600, which is about double what I could ever justify for seven discs of music and a 270-page book.

If it's the pre-Capitol version from the 50's, it's on numerous comps including Bound for Bakersfield, Young Buck, and Buck 'em. The 1973 version is only on the Bear Family box and the original LP which has never been reissued.

The Killer, Marzz, jbg and 1 other person like this.
  23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I wish a record company out there would overhaul the Chris LeDoux 70's and 80's Lp's and make em all available on Cd.
    Some are hard to get and some are expensive to get a hold of on vinyl.

mpayan likes this.
  24. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Man I love the Louvin's. I saw Charlie perform in 2005 and got to talk with him, smoke a cig with him and admire passing women :) He was really a damned nice and regular guy all the way around.

keyXVII, The Killer, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

They have been reissued on CD by Capitol as Capitol owns the rights to his indie and major label recorded albums entirely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.