? for Steve- the work you've done...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TSmithPage, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member Thread Starter

I recently acquired several of the DCCs that Steve Hoffman did during his tenure at DCC, and was surprised by the variety of music that was mastered. Which leads me to ask- during your career mastering/remastering CDs and LPs, are there any recordings you are willing to identify upon which you had to suppress the gag reflex while slaving away on? I realize you may not want to slam a particular recording artist or recording, but we all do work that we're not crazy about, and I can see where you've worked with rock, bluegrass, new age, lounge, heavy metal and country. Any thing you were glad when you were finished working on it, or do you just love everything you work on?

2. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Steve has told me he "falls in love" with every single project he works on. That's the only way to get the job done to his satisfaction.

He also mentioned that when the project is over, he feels a sense of loss in the same way as "breaking up" in a relationship.

Wow. I wonder if any other mastering engineers feel like that.

Somehow I doubt it!

3. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I'd like him to talk about (again, he did it on the old list too) the one project that genuinely surprised him. By that, I mean which master tape was so much better than he ever thought it could have been. Maybe it was one that he had only heard on the radio or never paid much attention to when it first released, but I'd really love to hear his thoughts on this. I'd even be interested in which master tape was in such horrid shape that he never thought he could get anything off of it. If I remember correctly, "Disreali Gears" was in pretty sad shape, right? Steve?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.