For the love of tuners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bjlefebvre, Sep 23, 2021.

1. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

I had one for a while and sadly it didn't make the cut here. I really wanted to like it to with it's round dial.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Snake cable from antenna down to lower floor level inside the wall-cut an opening into wall for installation of small box and connector with wall plate. You connect your cable to wall plate connection to run it to your tuner.

The Beave and bjlefebvre like this.
  3. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident Thread Starter

How did the sound compare to other units? As I mentioned, The FM Tuner Info guys gushed about it.

4. motorstereo

It was ok at best. The problem was I had several good tuners to compare it to: modded Sui TU9900, Mcintosh MR74, 78, 80, Yamaha T80,T85, Kenny 7500, Sanyo Plus 35, 55 along with several vintage receivers with excellent tuning sections. The poor little Mitsu roundie just didn't stand a chance. But I'd have to say I liked it better than the Sui tu666 roundie and a Scott tubed roundie (forget the model) that were here for a while.
    Out of those listed my favorite was and still is the Mac mr80 which has sent all of those tuners except the mr74 off to new homes. A very close 2nd was my Mike Williams Sui tu9900 which is one of the very few pieces I've regretted selling over the years.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  5. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

Listening to a beautiful Kenwood 8300 every day. There's nothing like quality analog FM to my ears and having a fine local classical station (WRR) and other college stations broadcasting jazz brings me plenty of old school listening joy.

bjlefebvre and motorstereo like this.
  6. motorstereo

That is a phenomenal tuner that's not all that common. The closest I got was a couple of KR9600's that passed through here. Supposedly the 9600s used an 8300 tuner section and both of mine had wonderful sounding tuners. I can imagine the standalone 8300 is even better:righton:

Dane Argentini likes this.
  7. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

It's like vinyl and film photography. People thought vinyl and film were obsolete too - and yet both are going strong.

I have a Magnum Dynalab MD102 that I need to hook up and start listening to - just need an antennae.

Boulder Bob and bjlefebvre like this.
  8. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I have a Magnum Dynalab FT-101A: it sounds like I never though tuners could. Also own a Harman/Kardon TU911, an EOM unit made in Japan by some mystery maker. Sounds good too, but not like the MD.

The antenna I use w/MD is MD SR-100 - indoor type, the one with H/K is an RCA branded amplified antenna.

Oddiofyl, Acapella48 and bjlefebvre like this.
  9. Benzion

Magnum Dynalab SR100 Indoor FM Antenna-Audio Advisor

Oddiofyl, hoytis and Acapella48 like this.
  10. bjlefebvre

Huh. That Magnum Dynalab FT-101A looks interesting. I might add that to the list.

You know, I have no desire to switch amps, turntables, etc. I don't get people who collect and hoard speakers. But for some reason tuners really interest me - I could definitely see myself stowing a few in a closet somewhere to try out periodically.

11. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

Yes , I have an MD 105T and it gets more use than my streamer. Put up a Yagi to pick up 91.1 jazz in Toronto and CBC classical from wherever. I gave up satellite in the car because the quality sucks and use a USB stick. When I can find an unprogrammed fm station (rare) I prefer it and the adventure of travelling into a new reception area makes driving interesting. When I was growing up there was only radio and records. Radio is like TV now with lots of variety but you have to seek it out. Damn, I'm old.

The Beave, bjlefebvre and Khorn like this.
  12. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

I have an MD ft101. It’s a decent tuner. I had a Scott 4310 for a bit. Wish I had been able to keep it. Stunning sound. The best source I’ve ever heard, really. Amazing. I still have the original box it came in.

I wish we had a few more quality stations in my area. There’s one pretty good jazz station, and the a couple of NPR type stations that will do blues, classical and bluegrass at times. But I t’s not exactly a smorgasbord of options here.

13. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

I too am a fan of over-the-air radio, particularly these days because of the stations with great content in my area. I even have an AM station that, despite the sound quality, is fun to listen to.

I'm currently using my Sony STR-DH190 receiver's FM tuner, but am thinking about getting a separate tuner. I'd like the option of AM and a better antenna than the thin wire with proprietary connector that comes with my receiver.

14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Living where I do and with my musical tastes, all the OTA FM radio I listen to has to be streamed. While I get AM radio on my old GE SuperRadio, I rarely listen to it anymore. I don't get any FM stations out here that I want to listen to much less pizza delivery... Accordingly, I only have one receiver. My other stuff is all integrateds. But even when I lived in larger metro areas in California, jazz stations were few and most had weak signals. Streaming is a godsend for me.

15. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

16. Benzion

Pourquois pas?

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have yet to be disappointed in any tuner from the 70's! love Marantz and Pioneer especially.

Fender Relic likes this.
  18. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

Yes, I agree an 8300 a fine performer and in good condition are getting harder to find but they're out there. With the wide and narrow bandwidth filters, metering for deviation, multi-path, signal strength, and center tuning along with its 6 gang tuning fm front end it pulls in stations with very low distortion and razor sharp selectivity. I recapped the 8300's capacitors, rebuilt the power supply, and replaced the narrow band filters and audio output op amps for higher performance before carrying out a final tuner alignment. I don't expect to need any other FM tuner from here on out.

motorstereo likes this.
  19. maycontainmultitudes

maycontainmultitudes Audiophail

I have the Sansui TU-717 and I love it. But it’s tethered to CBC Radio 1 (Toronto) 99% of the time. I find tuning to be a bit of a pain, and it’s easier just to leave it set to that frequency so I can get my morning show. Annoyingly it’s not even a stereo signal, but it does sound super clear and vibrant.

Edit to add that I do listen to many other international stations and internet radio via TuneIn through the BlueOs app. WWOZ New Orleans, 88.5 So Cal, KEXP, DylanRadio and more.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    bjlefebvre likes this.
  20. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Can you describe what was done by Joesph Chow and how to get in touch with him? I have a TU-717 that should probably be updated.

21. bjlefebvre

El Dinero.

22. bjlefebvre

I used Tune In app to listen to some international stations. The only problem I had with that was it was so easy to switch stations with the push of a button I was basically channel surfing without settling down to just listen. Also, again, the sound quality wasn't as good as going straight through the tuner.

I'm thinking of getting the Kenwood tuned up at the local hi-fi repair shop and trying to get a stronger antenna. If I could start pulling in stations from Balitmore, including

I still remember driving through Montana and finding a local station on the rental car radio that was playing older jazz and Native American music. It was great.

23. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I have a huge TV antenna in the attic that was fortunately tied into a coax on the wall. I have a Magnum MD102 which is great , excellent reception. I also recently picked up a Fanfare FT-1a which sounds fantastic, has remote and has two RCA out along with balanced.
    One of the RCA is direct off the multiplex filter. It has a little lower output but sounds great.

I listen to FM every day. Always on the lookout for a good tuner.

24. onemug

onemug Forum Resident

I still enjoy listening to my tuner(s). Something about the 'over the air' transmission that sounds real nice to me with the bonus of the 'discovery' of new music. Some of mine have scopes which makes them fun just watching.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  25. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Finding good/great tuners isn't too tough, it's the radio stations that have good progaramming and a quality broadcast signal that are rare.
    All of my favorite stations are on the left in more ways than one.

I've got a few left, Scott 312D, 312C, Lt-112B, Denon TU-800 digital and a couple nice receivers, McIntosh MAC4100, Harmon Kardon 930, Advent 300.