"Ford v. Ferrari" Film staring Matt Damon and Christian Bale - due out Nov 15 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Juan Matus, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Ford vs Ferrari should now be available on Blu-ray.... Anyone grab one yet?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I got a review copy the other day - haven't watched it yet, though...

JohnT likes this.
  3. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I got mine from Walmart yesterday. I was surprised this one just has Blu-ray/Digital, there is no DVD in the package.

Ford v Ferrari Blu-ray Release Date February 11, 2020

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  4. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

The LS shares the 4.400 inch bore centers and a similar rear bolt pattern with the classic SBC-and that is about it. Virtually nothing interchanges. The classic SBC has the EIIEEIIE
    valve and port arrangement (which they copied from the WWI Hispano Suiza aero engine-really) and the LS has regularly spaced intake and exhaust ports. Since there is no provision for a distributor drive the oil pump and all other accessories are completely different. The Chevy LS despite being a pushrod engine is entirely competitive with any mass production V8 in the world and has proven to be a real winner.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  5. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Can you recommend a movie that depicts the actual account of what happened?

I just saw this one. I found this one to be quite entertaining. Fascinating story, would like to see more. Thanks

6. There is a book, and DVD titled "The Cobra Ferrari Wars" and it tells a pretty good story.
    A book titled "Go Like Hell".
    "The Complete Book of Shelby Automobiles" fills in a lot of gaps too.

I do not know of a single item that tells the whole story in one sitting. It is more a gathering of info from various sources that get you there.

There are many different books and videos on the subject of Carroll Shelby, Ford's Total Performance Racing in the 60's, The Ford GT and how it came to be, racers like Ken miles, Dan Gurney, AJ Foyt as well as some info about the engineers and builders of the era.

longdist01 and seacliffe301 like this.
  7. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Everyone that cares knows Ken Miles won the race. Those in the general public as you say are probably only familiar with it because of its odd conclusion.

8. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

Great film. The surround sound is amazing.

carrick doone and Linger63 like this.
  9. Unfortunately, rules and regulations are part of the race, as well as technicalities.
    Those that "know Ken Miles won the race" are also those willing to toss out the very rules governing the race at hand in order to appease their senses.
    Ken did a lot of things right during this 1966 LeMans race.
    One thing Ken did not do is win that race...due to a rules technicality.
    These are the facts and any other viewpoint is simply posturing, fun discussion, and wishful thinking.

From my perspective I feel bad for Ken due to this technical loss, while at the same time I believe Kens legacy, memory, and lore are greatly increased directly because of this technical loss at such a historic race.

10. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just watched the film and enjoyed it very much.

Did that Ford marketing executive actually make that much of an effort in order to keep Miles out of the GT40's driver seat or was it told that way in the film for dramatic purposes?

All Down The Line likes this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

1966 24 Hours of Le Mans - Wikipedia

Finish and post-race[edit]
    With the field covered it was now that Leo Beebe, Ford racing director, contrived to stage a dead heat by having his two lead cars cross the line simultaneously.[40] The ACO told him this would not be possible — given the staggered starting formation, the #2 car would have covered 20 metres further, and thus be the race winner. But Beebe pushed on with his plan anyway.[36][41]

At the last pit stop, the Mark IIs were still in front. Miles/Hulme were leading, followed by McLaren/Amon holding station on the same lap. The gold Bucknum/Hutcherson car was third, but twelve laps behind. Miles was told to ease off to allow McLaren to catch up with him. Just before 4pm, it started to drizzle again. As it turned out McLaren's #2 car crossed the finish line just ahead and was declared the winner. It was rumoured that Miles, upset about the team orders, lifted off to allow McLaren to finish a length ahead.[14][41][42][43][44]

All Down The Line likes this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It is a very good film, but very Hollywood at the same time. Tons of scenes for drama’s sake, a few cheap laughs, and controversy for the sake of controversy. Still, good leads in Damon and Bale, and the actress who plays Miles’ wife was very effective.

Deuce66 and All Down The Line like this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i think this movie is on HBO this month.

14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

We watched this last night. Entertaining movie. One of the things that bugged me was the wife and son presumably watching full coverage of the race on their TV. This was the 60s, three network stations. The best they could have hoped for was some coverage on Wide World of Sports in grainy BW. The kid observing that they were changing the brakes was almost too much. My wife thinks I am being too critical. I just cannot see adding that schmaltz to a movie that hardly needed the subplot.

15. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Loved the movie.
    Still waiting to see the watch the documentary though, "The 24 Hour War".

16. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Watched the blu-ray last night - very enjoyable, indeed. Thought Damon and Bale were great. I didn't know anything about the back story, nor do I follow racing - so it was all new to me.

Need to watch The 24 Hour War doc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.