Foreigner just opened for “Boss Baby” in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MFillmore, Nov 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

When I was a little kid I used to want to be in the band Foreigner. Oh if only I knew then what I knew now you guys would be making fun of me at this very moment. ;)

Gumboo, Spencer R and Frozensoda like this.
  2. It’s not like anyone involved with this clown show was involved in writing and recording that song, though.

ARK, MFillmore and Leugi like this.
  3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I think it may be my fault. Left the wrong cookies and milk out for him last year. Sorry kids. :/

MFillmore likes this.
  4. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Was Mick there?

Anyway, it's face-time on national television. You don't turn that down.

And FWIW, while I would never see the current version of the band, with no original members most nights, from what I've read in the press, the fans who do go to their concerts these days seem to love them. They get great reviews from fans and from media covering the shows. The new band is apparently energetic, and does a great job of sounding like the originals.

Again, not for me, I saw the original Foreigner in 1981 and 1985 and would never go to this type of thing, but a lot of people seem to enjoy it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    MFillmore and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i didn't even know thom gimbel had left. no an original member but was there about 30 years

MFillmore and Stephen J like this.
  6. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Luckily Herbie The “Dentist” had this syringe in his magic bag and Yukon Cornelius stabbed it into Santa’s heart - he shot bolt upright and said HO HO HO

ARK, MFillmore and bzfgt like this.
  7. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

There seems to be a certain amount of snobbery in this thread. I'm no big fan of Foreigner, but they are in the entertainment business, like most of the musicians who get praise heaped on them in this forum. Some people enjoy going to rock concerts, others enjoy watching parades. This thread seems to be not so much a criticism of Foreigner as a band, but a criticism of one form of entertainment as being somehow less valid than another kind.

Mike24137, Sear and MFillmore like this.
  8. MFillmore

MFillmore Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is all in good fun. Until there is a comedy thread I just have to work out here in the wild.

D.B. and Amnion like this.
  9. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

If Mick can't even join the band for this lip sync, then, all i can say is wow...

TBH, everyone on the parade is lip syncing. Probably so it sounds good on TV. Miming on TV has gone back pretty much since the beginning anyway so its no big surprise there.

I tend not to go to crazy saying bands should retire or hang it up etc. That's really up to them , not me. The only thing i can do is not pay to go see them. But let's be honest, in this day and age, the masses don't even give a crap who's in the band or not. They see the name on the advertisement, know the hits and figure, WTH, let's go have a night out and see Foreigner or "insert whatever fragmented band is left" here.

10. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Macy’s isn’t part of my culture so I’m not going to denigrate.
    But a bunch of guys none of whom are original, miming badly in a carton doll’s house has more than a little humour about it

11. doity

doity Forum Resident

Well I guess that there isn’t much farther down to go after this gig for them. A band with no original members ‘singing’ a 40 year old hit that none of them performed on, from a doll house float in a parade. Next stop, the Rock-n-Bowl tournament in Galesburg, Illinois.

Seabass likes this.
  12. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Didn't the Superbowl slot use to be a tacky bit of filler entertainment?

13. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Here is one of the bands shuttles to and from gigs, with the band name on it of course.
    [​IMG]

silverhead and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. doity

doity Forum Resident

I think a more fitting parade float for them would be a prison cell, as that song is a crime against humanity.

15. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Who is Mrs Fullb- never mind, I figured it out :shh:

Seabass likes this.
  16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’ll always dig the first four Foreigner albums, they came out when I was between 10 and 14 years old, and I dug their hits on the radio because I was too young to know it was uncool to like them. Whatever they might do to tarnish their legacy by playing the Macy’s Parade with replacement members doesn’t change my enjoyment of Blue Morning, Blue Day.

17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

18. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Look, if it was just the band playing at the parade, no one would comment. But the addition of the dollhouse float and the dancing robots and the oompah loompahs and the giant baby float is just too much.

19. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

It doesn't sound great when you put it like that.

It does make me wonder why they enlisted a rock band, even an ageing rock band, to fill that sort of slot, rather than The Wiggles or some US equivalent thereof.

Lost In The Flood and ARK like this.
  20. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

21. doity

doity Forum Resident

I’ve got to take a little time
    A little time to think this over
    I better read between the lines
    In case I regret this when I’m older

In my life, I thought I had it made
    But here I am, on a float in a parade
    Can’t stop now, I’ve travelled too far