Forever Changes or Marquee Moon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockerreds, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member Thread Starter

Which do you prefer:Forever Changes or Marquee Moon?One from 1967,one from 1977,both from Electra.

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Aw, don't make me cry! :laugh:

Marquee Moon is an album I actually just discovered a couple of years ago (I had no taste for post-punk in the post-punk era) and to me, it's the Lost Classic 70's Rock Album. It's literally been years since I discovered an album that's impressed me so deeply.

However, Forever Changes has been soaking in my psyche since 1981, and it's an enduring object of fascination to me. MM is poised to be as well, but FC is essential to me on so many levels. It genuinely speaks to me. I have to give it my vote.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  3. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

what is the common point between these two records???
    both on elekra, both great, but???

4. dkmonroe

There isn't too much commonality - same label, exactly ten years apart, similar cult status, but polls is polls. This is far from the most nonsensical one I've ever seen.

5. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident

I don't understand why anyone would compare these two records to decide which is "better". They're from two different decades, different bands, totally different styles, etc. This seems like just a totally random poll with no point.

joeislive likes this.
  6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I agree with you, they couldn't be more stylistically disparate.
    Wait, Bryan Maclean and Richard Lloyd were both really cute guitar players.

mooseman likes this.
  7. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Marquee Moon by a mile. I've tried numerous times to get into Forever Changes and just cannot.

JimC likes this.
  8. dkmonroe

And this is the first random, pointless poll you've seen? :laugh:

9. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE!

The two albums do have a couple of things in common: they're exquisitely, economically crafted, and have endlessly quotable lyrics.

Both are indelibly stamped on my psyche.

zobalob likes this.
  10. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I love them both, but I prefer Forever Changes. I don't know if I can fully explain why, but I know part of the reason is that the two "sides" of Marquee Moon are quite different -- the first more exciting, the second slower and more contemplative. For that reason I tend to play the first half of MM with great enthusiasm, but lose a bit of interest during the second. It peaks, IMO, at the end of the first side, with the title track. Forever, on the other hand, has a perfect mix of faster and slower ones and concludes with perhaps its best song, the stunning "You Set the Scene." So there you go. Forever Changes.

rockerreds likes this.
  11. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I never got all the love for Arthur Lee, loved Television from the first time I heard "Marquee Moon". The first time I heard the unfaded, full version of "Marquee Moon", it was played on the CBC show "Brave New Waves". I almost drove off the highway when the song kept going to the final crescendo!

12. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Exactly my thought. Apples and oranges.

13. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

Marquee Moon is great, but I think the diversity of Forever Changes inches it slightly forward. They are both like four and a half star albums, so it's nitpicking at a certain point.

14. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

They've both recently been given very nice vinyl reissue treatment by Rhino, both remastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman. I bought them both (even though I already own multiple copies of both). Two of my favorites, I can't choose.

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I never got "Forever Changes". I really tried, I mean I love The Byrds, Neil Young, Dylan, Spirit, Grateful Dead,... but it didn't hit home.
    "Marquee Moon" I loved from the word go. One of the best albums of the 70s. I saw Tom on an early 80s solo tour in London - awesome guitarist.

fallbreaks likes this.
  16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Oh, yes!! Cannot abide Love - the album does nothing for me.

17. fredgsanford

fredgsanford Forum Resident

pointless poll, but I choose television. As good as forever changes is, it sounds pretty dated, Marquee moon holds up better.

18. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I had to settle for "tie" as I don't find these albums comparable. I've got them both, like to listen to them both, but still they seem to belong in totally separate spheres in my life. To choose between the two is a bit like choosing between shopping for groceries and vacuuming the living room, both somewhat inevitable actions but by no means exclusive.

tedhead likes this.
  19. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Does anybody have both of the 2012 vinyl re-issues? The Forever Changes re-issue is sublime. Is Marquee Moon also worth picking up?

20. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

This is me. Forever Changes never clicked with me, where Marquee Moon did, after a while. Probably a generational thing, to some extent. I was 12 when FC came out, but 22 and fully into the NY scene when MM debuted.

fallbreaks likes this.
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Are you planning to compare all albums Rhino just rereleased? What's next? "Close To The Edge" or "Rocket To Russia"? I'll pass...

tedhead, Paul K and ruben lopez like this.
  22. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I have both. IMO, the Marquee Moon reissue is very much worth picking up. There's a thread on it here somewhere, and a few people complained that the EQ is a little on the bright side. It is a fair criticism, but to me it sounds about right in terms of tonal balance.

23. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I don't care for Television.:shrug:
    I just bought the new rhino vinyl FOREVER CHANGES.:pineapple:

24. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

:righton:

25. Matty

Matty Senior Member

My take is exactly the same as Monosterio's, right down to his analysis of the two records' peaks and sequencing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.