Forum members that only buy CDs, no Vinyl at all?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stenway, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Can't wait for people to start overpaying for CDs in the coming years.

nosliw and fogalu like this.
  2. I haven't owned a turntable in over 30 years. I don't own a horse and buggy either.

ARK, Fullbug, Bossfan and 2 others like this.
  3. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

I'm already doing that. #noregrets

Dwight Fry likes this.
  4. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I've got a box full of LPs bought during the 80's.
    Since 1990, I've only got CDs.
    No interest at all on downloads.

Fullbug likes this.
  5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

The last time I bought vinyl was 1983. But I buy Blu Ray Audio, DVD-A, SACD, CD and high rez digital now.

Mike McMann likes this.
  6. belardd

belardd Senior Member

CD only since 85

7. monsieur murray

monsieur murray Forum Resident

CD only for me , it just sounds a lot better.

8. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Just sold my VPI Prime turntable. Have about 1500 records, most will go to Discogs. Tired of clicks & pops and all the space records take up. New pressings 95% suck and are often derived from digital files anyway, just with less dynamic range and channel separation. My vinyl doesn’t sound better than good digital, it just sounds different. The fetish aspect is kind of tiresome.

I do buy hi-res downloads, I buy CDS and rip at 16/44. SACDS & blu-Ray when available via my Oppo 205. I have a superb DAC and streamer. Life is good!

9. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

No turntable since 1996.

Fullbug likes this.
  10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Seriously, "one click and it's all over"?

Yes, if you have that level of OCD, then vinyl is not the format for you.

11. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Yes. And quite a few recent reissues of obscure soul albums have been vinyl only. Such are the titles I (begrudgingly) purchased, and would have preferred on CD.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:edthumbs:

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays only here.

fogalu, oxegen and George P like this.
  14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why? are you a reseller? :thumbsdow

I prefer CDs will go down and down on price, of that way I can buy more.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'd prefer them to stay about how they are. If they go down in price too much then they will stop being manufactured new and second hand dealers won't buy them in. Charity shops could stop accepting them like most do with VHS tapes. All of that could also result in many scarce ones being thrown out and ending up in landfill. At present a high percentage of CDs are almost totally unwanted anyway, I don't want to see that get worse.

Gramps Tom, Galley and Echo like this.
  16. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I'm c.d. only but with many super deluxe box sets being issued with vinyl it seems impossible to avoid vinyl.....wish they would stop this practice!

17. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I'm somewhat agnostic on format--I buy CDs, LPs, Bandcamp downloads (which I get in AAC), and I stream on Spotify (though I am old enough that I only feel a real attachment to music when I've bought it in some format, especially physical).

As much as I love playing vinyl, I've been falling away from buying it except for a few releases lately, for a variety of reasons: (1) it's too expensive, (2) record labels are dropping download cards (I used to think the LP/download was the ideal combination of quality and convenience), (3) the PITA issues I experience with vinyl (e.g., how do I get rid of the intermittent hum in my turntable?!?!), and (4) time--I just don't have the time and "auditory freedom" to play much music on my stereo these days after having kids.

So I'm back on CDs for most of those albums I feel like really owning. It doesn't hurt that you can find a lot of used CDs dirt cheap these days, but even new releases are still comparatively reasonably priced.

And I still like physical formats, but honestly I do 99.5% of my listening via either Spotify or music ripped from CDs or the occasional download saved in lossy formats on my iPhone. And now I mostly listen via Bose wireless headphones, so whatever audiophile cred I ever had is pretty much shot. :D

ARK, Papi Hipbone323 and Eric_Generic like this.
  18. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I buy the occasional used vinyl LP if it’s something I can’t get elsewhere, but it’s probably been at least 30 years since I bought new vinyl

19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Agree with this. They take up so much space!

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I only buy CDs these days.

21. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

An occasional pop of click now and then never bothered me. After a while I didn't notice them much. Actually, there were some LPs I listened to a lot and sort of anticipated the pops and clicks. It's like I subconsciously remembered where they were on the record.

Now when I listen to those same albums on CD (or my digital equivalent), I still anticipate them, but am surprised for a moment that I didn't hear it. LOL, strange, I know.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  22. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I only buy CDs, no vinyl, though I will also buy SACD's and Blu Rays.

23. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

It's just easier to rip a CD than to plug my turntable into my computer and record it with Audacity.

dalem5467, Vic_1957, nosliw and 4 others like this.
  24. Big Jack Brass

Big Jack Brass Two Separate Gorillas

Mainly I'm buying charity shop CDs, supplemented with particular editions tracked down on the usual secondhand markets. As decent download options have become more available I've also been using those (Qobuz mainly) but prices seem quite high.

Sadly my Technics turntable died twenty-odd years ago and my CD player, a decent sounding but fairly basic old Marantz, is clearly on the way out, so along with the need to clear out the clutter I'm moving to digital storage. I still have a box of records, despite not having anything on which to play them...

25. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

If it was all on blu ray, I'd be totally on board.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.