Four Eno ambient releases next in vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AZRunner, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

I bought music for airports 45rpm. I cleaned it on my okki nokki with Audio Intelligent #15 and their pure rinse. I played side 1 and there is noise throughout. Very disappointed. No pops or ticks just a low level of noise that takes away from any positive listening experience.

I might give it another clean but am done buying anymore of the Eno series. I thought at 45rpm this would be outstanding, not so. Save your money.

I have other Abbey roads 45rpm pressings such as INXS kick which sounds great.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Chris Bernhardt, audiotom and uzn007 like this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I picked up the 33 1/3s. Played Airports and Discreet Music so far. Had a couple snaps here and there but nothing that ruined the experience. I'm pleased with these records.

The first batch I got was Astralwerks, these are UM and they have different spines and serial numbers. I didnt know there was a difference. Now my collections going every which way. I won't lose sleep over it... maybe....

It's Felix likes this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

This was far too difficult a task for GZ Media to handle. Ambient music, with quiet passages and extremely long album sides. Forget it. This should have been done at Optimal or Pallas.
    GZ Media’s quality control is non-existent.

SoundDoctor and englishbob like this.
  4. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

I agree. RTI would have been good as well. I was geared up to this sounding spectacular, what a let down.

5. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

According to folks here and elsewhere, the 45rpms were pressed at Optimal.

jon9091 likes this.
  6. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

And their track record as of late has been, shall we say, less than optimal.

I'll see myself out.

jon9091 likes this.
  7. Purplephil77

Purplephil77 Active Member

I've just played the title track on Discreet Music 2lp half speed and it has lots of pops and crackles, especially aside two which is very distracting. I've compared it to a 70's near mint pressing of the same album which doesn't have the same issues. I've contacted the company I've bought it from. Has anyone else had the same issues?

audiotom likes this.
  8. Panda9D

Panda9D Well-Known Member

I got the 45 of Discreet Music today and mine is flat, quiet and sounds great. My system isn’t super duper or anything but I hear no noise (none) and no crackles or pops except on a lead out at the end of a side. I have a DL-110, which seems to be a pretty forgiving needle, though.

uzn007 likes this.
  9. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

This is very possibly a stupid question, so be gentle: All things being equal (vinyl composition, pressing quality, etc.), is there a greater likelihood of hearing surface/background noise on a 45 RPM record, as the stylus is covering a larger area in the same amount of time?

Making my way through this new batch and am generally pleased, but I wouldn't call the pressings flawless by any stretch. Wondering how much I'm hearing can be attributed to tape noise from the master and how much is the physical disc itself.

audiotom likes this.
  10. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

"Music For Films" (double 45 rpm remaster edition) question. My copy has a lot of distortion, pops and other random unwelcome awful noises on side 2 of the first LP. Does anyone else have this issue, or does your copy of this side play cleanly? I'm trying to determine if this is an isolated incident or pervasive on all/most copies. I'm also curious because I was somehow lucky enough that all 3 other sides play perfectly quiet, as do all the sides of the other three 45's I purchased.

audiotom likes this.
  11. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

A few stray observations:

The 33s say "Made in Czech Republic," while the 45s have a sticker that says "Made in GB," although others here are saying they were pressed at Optimal in Germany. What is the confirmed source of that info?

The catalog numbers are:
    Discreet Music - ENOLP5 (33 rpm) or ENO2LP5 (45 rpm)
    Ambient 1: Music for Airports - ENOLP6 (33 rpm) or ENO2LP6 (45 rpm)
    Ambient 4: On Land - ENOLP8 (33 rpm) or ENO2LP8 (45 rpm)
    Music for Films - ENOLP9 (33 rpm) or ENO2LP9 (45 rpm)
    This means there's a missing ENOLP7/ENO2LP7. Any idea what that's for? There's a few candidates in his discography that might qualify chronologically.

The Music for Films track listing reflects the 1978 version, not the EG reissue. Just did a shootout of the 33 and 45, and honestly keep flip-flopping whether the 45 sounds better enough to justify the inconvenience and expense.

Miles Showell also cut the 33s in this batch, but at regular speed. Seems slightly weird to me that while he was doing the 45s, they wouldn't have just asked him to do the 33s at half speed too.

No download codes in the 45s! Did anybody get them? They were definitely advertised.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  12. Dylan Terhune

Dylan Terhune Forum Resident

Could be that LP7 is Apollo?

13. steveinphilly

steveinphilly Forum Resident

I was told there'd be no math, but Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror, and Ambient 3: Day of Radiance would seem to be reasonable guesses.... :->
    I did get download codes in the Eno-autographed versions of Ambient 4, Discreet Music and Music for Films. Interesting that maybe you aren't noticing the quality difference between the 33 and 45 versions. Veering away from the ambient albums, I received Another Green World on 33 as a gift and thought it sounded great. I had planned to buy the 33 versions of Warm Jets, Tiger Mountain and Before and After Science (under $20 each online) but before I did, I found a used copy of the Tiger Mountain half-speed mastered 45 for just a few bucks more and am waiting for it to arrive. My suspicion after listening to the 45 of Music For Films and the 33 of Another Green World is that any improvement I might hear (on my system, at least) will not outweigh the get-up-to-flip-it-again inconvenience.

audiotom and Lecords like this.
  14. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the original vinyl was always noisy and, after all these decades, mine sounds even worse now (time to replace?). But I was always happy with it

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    audiotom likes this.
  15. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Sitting on the fence
    Brian Eno is one of my absolute favorite artists

Have all the original vinyl - Japanese virgin vinyl and most UK originals

33 1/3 for longer ambient pieces makes sense
    Is the 45 that much better?
    Discreet had 30 minutes now broken up into two sides

I was unhappy with the pop album 45s
    Didn't hold a candle to UK originals
    And killed the song seques
    The new 33s didn't measure up either

What sampling rate are the downloads?

Were signed copies available on eno-world.net? Didn't see them there

I have a KLaudio ultrasonic record cleaner to get as far down in the groove cleaning as possible
    Would hope to remove surface noise - originals (Japanese and UK) sound great

I know some of this has been mention already but weighing all the factors

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  16. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

It's great, it's bad
    Probably need to buy one to verify

Attention

Brian's new Bloom 10 app
    is now available on Mac and now Android platforms
    $7.99. Make your own infinite Eno ambient music

Original Bloom was only Apple based

I played Bloom in coffee shops via headphones

17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Had my Ambient 4: On Land 33rpm on the other day. When I first got it, it seemed to play through fine. Now side 2 has a considerable amount of crackle throughout the whole side. I've washed the thing at least once. Maybe I need to replace the rice-paper inner that came with the record.

I did pick up an old pressing of Music For Airports used last month that someone must have unloaded when these new pressings came out. It's in great shape.

I have the old Bloom app for iOS and I bought this new version for $4.99 on presale before it came out. Very well made app, I need to use it more.

audiotom likes this.
  18. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Last weekend while I was retouching photos I put on a bunch of 70s Eno on Youtube and discovered a bunch of stuff I'd never heard before, including (embarrassingly) Discreet Music. I've been playing "Fullness of Wind" over and over and over this week, and now I do a search here to find there's a new vinyl pressing. Sign me up!

uzn007 and Chrome_Head like this.
  19. Kevin Howard

Kevin Howard Forum Resident

SoundDoctor and Chrome_Head like this.
  20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

21. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I think vinyl... much less 45rpm... is just asking for trouble with quiet music like this. If ever there was an application for the low noise floor of digital, it's Eno's ambient stuff. Plus you can load up 4 hours worth and never have to move. I would not enjoy this kind of music with surface noise throughout.

HiFi Guy 008, BlueSpeedway and uzn007 like this.
  22. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Is the discreet music 45rpm (or any of the other ones ) all analog?

23. Kevin Howard

Kevin Howard Forum Resident

No

uzn007, Mugrug12 and SoundDoctor like this.
  24. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

All half-speed masters from digital.

uzn007 and Mugrug12 like this.
  25. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I'm going to apologize for this tangent first of all- maybe you or someone reading can answer this without causing a giant derailment but the thread looks dead anyway so here goes:

I looked at old threads but couldn't find an answer. When you playback the hi res digital file at half speed, are you impacting the sound by changing the sampling rate etc? To be clear
    I understand why half speed benefits the cutter head, I'm just asking what effects it might have on the digital source going to the lathe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.