Frank Sinatra on Reprise appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McLover, Apr 4, 2006.

1. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I am thrilled to see all the love here for "All Alone". This was one I skipped over until I had everything else, but when I finally picked it up it quickly became a favorite of mine.

CBackley likes this.
  2. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

That's a nice way to discover it! :righton:

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I just receieved a (?) late 1970's U.K. copy of "I Remember Tommy". Other than the suitcase box, this is my first copy of this album. It sounds quite nice. I wonder if Alan Dell did these? Are there any other Reprise LPs I should look for in this series? The catalog #k-54063.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member Thread Starter

This record does not have anything to do with Alan Dell. It's an excellent record, one of my favorite Reprise era albums on Frank. Your copy should sound excellent. The original issues had a deluxe fold out jacket with a detailed essay written by Lawrence D. Stewart. The UK Reprise original pressings when Pye handled the label will have this as does the USA originals (the version I own). Superb record. K= Kinney Music. Later became Warner Communications, Inc. My original is Stereo and really superb sounding. Especially love "Without A Song" and all of the LP is ear candy of the highest.

CBackley likes this.
  5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The K-series were produced by Kinney Shoes -- I mean, Kinney Records in England. The only one I have is SEPTEMBER OF MY YEARS, and it sounds pretty poor compared to other versions.

Matt

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member Thread Starter

MLutthans,

Seconded. My US original of September Of My Years sonically slays both my Wife's UK Pye Reprise, and her Kinney UK pressing by miles. And that is her saying this. I agree.

7. MLutthans

Here's a sketch from an "unofficial" release. Anybody else see a resemblance to Charles Barkley, or is it just me???????!

Attached Files:

D.B. and wave like this.
  8. rangerjohn

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You're right, Matt.

But what a lousy drawing. I don't think I've ever seen FS in a photo with such dark rings under his eyes.

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

No, but it reminds me of an early episode of The Sopranos, where they had a bust of Ronald Reagan shown/discussed that some on the show said was of Frank, but one of them thought was Shaquille O'Neal.

D.B. likes this.
  10. MLutthans

I didn't want to start a new thread for something this trivial, so I'm dumping it here.

There's a "FRANK SINATRA BUILDING" in Nazareth???

http://www.nazareth-israel.com/nazareth-resturantsbars

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I didn't notice the building or the restaurant, but while touring Israel last year, I learned of Frank Sinatra's connection to Nazareth...

As we passed through the town by bus, our tour guide pointed out a large and apparently famous statue of Mary in Nazareth which was paid for by Sinatra. Also in Nazareth is the Frank Sinatra Brotherhood and Friendship Youth Center (for Arab and Jewish children), funded by proceeds from Frank's 1962 World Tour for Children. (That was the same international charity tour which produced the CDs SINATRA AND SEXTET LIVE IN PARIS and ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL.)

D.B. likes this.
  12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

One more reference which I found, from the Jewish Telegraphic Agency News Archive:

14. MLutthans

For the recordings released in both mono and stereo (through 1968?) on Reprise, have any of the mono mixes been released on official CDs? Even any individual tracks? I can't think of any, but I'm probably wrong.

Matt

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

On ebay right now "Sinatra's Sinatra" & "Softly As I Leave You" LP's and the seller is listing them as "ANTIQUES". :sigh:

16. rangerjohn

Not that I know of. It sure would be great to have the original mono mixes of all the Reprise singles through '68.

17. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Just diving into some of this stuff in the last couple of months... Listening to the Basie stuff and "Swingin' Brass" lately... I dig it!

18. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

You haven't lived until you have heard the disco version of All Or Nothing At All!! Even better :D
    I'm kind of ticked that the suitcase is missing the Gunga Din promo 45, one of the funniest things Sinatra released.
    Think of Sinatra reading Kipling's poem while the first 5 minutes of the Peter Sellers film "The Party" is blasting in the backround.

I can't pick one favorite since they're all great, it's too hard.
    RADD, SOMY, Sinatra's Sinatra, IRT, TCS, Sinatra/Basie, SITN, Sinatra/Jobim I & II, Watertown. They're all great albums.

I have the suitcase, all the R9 stereo & mono originals, FS second presses, and white label promos (missing two LP's: Moonlight & At The Sands) so I'm set.

19. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I see that this is a thread that has been going on for a long time. During my teen years in the mid 60s, Frank Sinatra's Reprise years were my first introduction to Sinatra's music. It wasn't until the 70s that I discovered/listened to his earlier Capitol work.

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My introduction to Frank Sinatra was like most kids my age with that bird in the Warner Bros. Cartoon they showed on TV (where Porky Pig has an egg farm and he wants crooners to get the hens to lay more). He sang "All Or Nothing At All" which I knew my dad had as a Harry James record with Frank on vocal from 1939. That was my intro to Frank. In the cartoon when the "Frankie Bird" turned sideways he vanished behind the microphone stand. Always got a kick out of that.

Hearing "That's Life" and "Strangers In The Night" as a kid and trying to relate those to that long ago Harry James song was a struggle but my Dad explained that Frank had been around a lonnngggggg time.

"Wow", I thought, "He's old".

But I still liked him. Never really heard his Capitol LPs until I was in college and Capitol did a re-service to our radio station: The entire Capitol Sinatra, Beach Boys and Nat Cole LP collection. What a great day that was!

D.B. likes this.
  21. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Has anybody heard of any forthcoming Reprise/ Concord reissues?

The last one seemed to be a rather poor seller...I heard it barely broke 700 copies. There was such debate over the sound of it...but I hope they continue the series.

22. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

700? I find that hard to believe.

23. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

When I was a kid living on a military base (China Lake ANS in Ridgecrest California), my Father bought the first commercial Ampex cassette machine for the home. One of the few cassettes he had was "Sinatra's Sinatra" which I listened to all the time, it's still one of my favorite FS albums I have a soft spot for. My Mom had dozens of Columbia 78's (which I now have) that I played as a kid untill my Dad cut the cord off the record player after my older brother played a Hollies album on it. Everytime I hear "Sinatra's Sinatra", I think of China Lake.

D.B. likes this.
  24. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Here ya' go, Steve...

Looney Tunes cartoon "Swooner Crooner" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whi0b1ZEoa0
    SwoonerCroonerFrankie.jpg