Frank Sinatra Set from Sony/Legacy, 1935-1955 Radio Performances, "A Voice on Air"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Is is pretty infuriating, not going to lie. I suppose covering the last thirty years would mean having to delve into the Barbara years and that's a pretty touchy subject. Although it's not like Kaplan's book was particularly well-received by the family. But then again, they supported a documentary that was obviously influenced heavily s by Kaplan's book, sooo....

I've always been confused by that, not going to lie.

2. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Hell, Sinatra's escapades in Australia in 1974 were quite dramatic on their own. Watching this Roosevelt era democrat entrenching further into Conservatism is quite interesting, too.

3. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Track listings on Amazon UK.

Tord, kennyluc1 and Bob F like this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Tord, kennyluc1 and rxcory like this.
  5. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Disc 2 has the same listing as disc 1.

6. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Excited for this set. But is the final track really going to be "Half as Lovely (Twice As True)?"

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This is Amazon UK, where they sometimes file Frank Sinatra releases under "Benny Goodman." ;)

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I would wait for the official Sony press release, before debating the premature Amazon listing.

9. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Good point. Still, this'll whet my appetite until the press release. That performance of Exactly Like You with the Nat King Cole Trio is so relaxed and enjoyable. I'll be glad to have a legit release of that.

Bob F likes this.
  10. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

That preliminary track list looks promising though it looks like we are only going to get 3-4 TBPF recordings... I was hoping an entire disc would contain those recordings!

paulmock likes this.
  11. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

My deepest wish is that the Disc 3 track listing is actually Disc 2 and that Disc 4 is the track-listing that's missing.

DmitriKaramazov and Bob F like this.
  12. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Interesting theory! I like it!

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

01. Songs by Sinatra Show Opening: This Love of Mine & Paper Doll (*)(†)
    02. Kiss Me Again (*)
    03. If Loveliness Were Music (*)(∆)
    04. Lover Come Back to Me & Songs by Sinatra Show Closing: Put Your Dreams Away (*)(∆)
    05. My Heart Tells Me (*)(∆)
    06. My Ideal (*)(∆)
    7. News Bulletin/Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower Briefing/President Franklin D. Roosevelt Address on D-Day (Excerpts) & Music for Millions Introduction/Buy a Piece of the Peace (*)(#)(∆)
    8. Frank Sinatra D-Day Announcement/The Frank Sinatra Show Opening: This Love of Mine & Coming in on a Wing and a Prayer (*)(∆)
    9. Frank Sinatra Commentary on D-Day Broadcast & America the Beautiful (*)
    10. Frank Sinatra Dedication to Canadian Soldiers at Rockcliffe Hospital, Ontario, &
    I’ll Be Seeing You (rehearsal) (*)(†)
    11. Frank Sinatra Dedication to Soldiers at Halloran Hospital & The Way You Look Tonight (*)(†)
    12. It Had to Be You (*)(†)
    13. Don’t Fence Me In (*)(∆)
    14. Lonely Love (*)(∆)
    15. Long Ago and Far Away (*)(∆)
    16. Songs by Sinatra Show Opening: Night and Day & Aren’t You Glad You’re You (*)(∆)
    17. It Might As Well Be Spring (*)(†)
    18. Birthday Greetings for Frank Sinatra’s 30th Birthday/Frank Sinatra Introduces June Hutton & Button Up Your Overcoat (*)(∆)
    19. Day by Day (*)
    20. Lily Belle (*)
    21. Ol’ Man River & Songs by Sinatra Show Closing: Put Your Dreams Away (*)

(*) Indicates PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED broadcast performance
    (#) Indicates NEWLY EDITED broadcast performance
    (∆) Indicates song UNRECORDED by Frank Sinatra
    (†) Indicates UNRECORDED (alternate) arrangement

14. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

WELL! I'll gladly accept this!

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

19. Day by Day (*)

Oh! I hope it has those bongos!!!!!!! :D

MMM, DABarrios and MarkusGermany like this.
  16. kennyluc1

By my count there are 10 songs from the TBPF show's. One title having, never beeen released, officially or un-officially.( It's Alright With Me )
    The other title that interest's me a great deal is: I'll String Along With You/As Time Goes By, which, he sang many times on
    Your Hit Parade.
    You may recall that FS supposedly included "For Me And My Gal" in his repertoire at the Paramount.
    My biggest disappointment is: there are no songs from the series: Meet Frank Sinatra.

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

FWIW, any of the "Meet Frank Sinatra" shows I have heard are rather embarrassing. He was really "grabbing at straws" at the time and it showed. As a matter of fact, I'd totally forgotten that series until you brought it up.

18. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sinatra singing Cole's "I Love You For Sentimental Reasons" is something I can't recall ever hearing before.

19. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Nancy has played it on N4F before. Years ago, if I recall. It's a very good performance.

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

"Songs by Sinatra" (CBS/Old Gold) show with the Pied Pipers, from early 1947. It has a one-minute intro by FS and Jane Powell, but I don't know if that's included on the new set.
    See —> Nancy For Frank - Show #36 (February 10, 2008)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hope they include any song introductions. I always like hearing those.

Bob F likes this.
  22. kennyluc1

Paul, on the contrary, there are many great performances from that series. FS performed with a quartet (Graham Forbes on piano) I have about 5 of the shows and many excerpts.
    The problem is all the discs are very scratched what I have anyway. Some great performances ; "The Moon Was Yellow" + "Everything I Have Is Yours" +"If " and many more.
    All I wanted was one. Anyway, not to nitpick there are many fantastic performances coming our way on this box.

23. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I've heard none of this material before so I'm very excited for this release. :)

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Description at —> Amazon.com :

Frank Sinatra: A Voice on Air (1935-1955), a historic 100+ track, 4-CD deluxe box set culled from an invaluable collection of rare radio broadcasts and rehearsals immaculately restored from the original recording masters for unprecedented high-fidelity sound.

This breathtaking overview charts Frank Sinatra s evolution as a vocalist, and includes samples of his radio work from the first twenty years of his amazing career, from his first radio performance in 1935 (singing "S-H-I-N-E" with the Hoboken Four) to his last weekly series in 1955 (The Frank Sinatra Show, featuring ultra-rare performances with an in-studio quintet). From beginning to end, Frank Sinatra: A Voice on Air (1935-1955) envelops the listener in the atmosphere surrounding the creation of these masterful radio performances in the 1930s, '40s and '50s.

Meticulously restored and remastered in high-resolution from the original glass and aluminum radio transcription discs and magnetic tape masters these vintage, historic recordings most of them unheard since their original broadcast in the 1940s and 1950s sound more rich and vibrant than ever before. All of the warmth and vibrancy that are hallmarks of Frank Sinatra's vocal brilliance have been preserved, and showcased with unprecedented fidelity.

supermd, Tord, Bob Belvedere and 3 others like this.