Frank Sinatra Set from Sony/Legacy, 1935-1955 Radio Performances, "A Voice on Air"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

So all together we have a total of 38 titles that are unknown. Yes?

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

"Previously unreleased" does not necessarily equal "unknown." I would be surprised if most of these are completely unknown to collectors.

3. Ronald Sarbo

I meant 38 "titles" they have not announced yet.

4. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Well they will be new to me then, it's all very exciting. I need to get my Christmas list sorted.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This would be a really cool Christmas gift for those of you who have parents who grew up listening to Frank. :)

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Sorry, understood now. It's unclear to me (like you) if the "twelve surprise bonus tracks" are not included in the current track listings at Amazon UK.

7. Ronald Sarbo

There are 106 tracks listed. Chuck said there would be 100 "songs". However some tracks are commercials or PSA's. Therefore I don't think the list includes the 12 bonus tracks. But where would he fit them in? Will they give us a fifth disc.....or a download voucher?

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I had hoped the PR would include a complete annotated track listing. I certainly hope there are no download vouchers involved here. I don't want to go to England, Australia, or Japan for this one.

kennyluc1, colormesinatra and bozburn like this.
  9. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

This is soooo ...exciting, I mean for years I dreamed of something like this happening, and now, my dreams are getting better all the time.
    It just makes me sad to think about all of the great friends and passionate collector's I have known in my lifetime who are no longer
    with us that didn't live to see the wonderful work and passion that Mr. Granata has brought to all of the Sinatra enthusiast's around the world.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  10. Ronald Sarbo

I find it interesting that on the track list for the TBPF songs he has Graham Forbes listed for almost every song.

11. kennyluc1

Forbes stopped working for Mr. Sinatra in 1951, so, that can't be correct.
    Again, I hope there are a few tracks from the " Meet F.S. " radio show.

12. kennyluc1

MMM please thank Mr. Granata for taking the time to give a reply, I feel, to me, and, to you regarding Meet F.S. I haven't seen Chuck since he gave a presentation
    at the Museum of T.V. and Radio in 95 or 96 at a Milton Berle or Sinatra retrospective. I remember that on the early Berle show that FS sang " Nevertheless "
    I had a great conversation with Chuck and Will Friedwald regarding Sinatra T.V. guest appearances on early 50's shows.

Bob Belvedere and DABarrios like this.
  13. Ted Pastuszak

Ted Pastuszak Forum Resident

I apologize if this was already covered in another thread, but I was interested if the "Perfectly Frank" recordings were just recorded in a radio network studio, or possibly in the old radio studio that Capitol used before the tower was built. Those tracks always seemed like commercial quality recordings.

14. Ronald Sarbo

Kenny: Some sources claim Forbes did play on the TBPF radio series. He may have been used as relief for Bill Miller. The "After Hours" CD does mention his name. However we don't know who played on what so Chuck's notes may shed some light on this.

Bob Belvedere and kennyluc1 like this.
  15. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Can you buy this online or do you have to visit the place?
    It's a bit far from Newcastle uk!

Peace and love✌

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The press release says the CD will be available through the Smithsonian website, but it doesn't say if there will be international shipping restrictions. You can signup online to receive an email alert when it's available.

17. kennyluc1

There has been a great deal of " new " information regarding FS/Tommy Dorsey radio broadcast's. I don't know if this is due to show's becoming available,
    or just radio log's. FS supposedly sang, with Dorsey, over the radio: If It's The Last Thing I Do (rec 1956 ), Until The Real Thing Comes Along (rec 1984 )
    I Only Have Eyes For You (rec 1945, 1962). When Mr. Granata was producing the series of Sinatra cd's on Columbia in the 90's, ie; FS sings Cole Porter
    sings Rodgers & Hammerstein, I did not think it could get any better. This surpasses all previous releases 4-CD box 100 songs, now, additional cd with 26 songs.

DABarrios likes this.
  18. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Thanks Bob , I've done that. Looks like things are picking up a pace at last!

Peace and love✌

Bob Belvedere and Bob F like this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

This is NOT a complaint....but it would have been nice if this stuff was released maybe one a month during the Centennial year so as not to (as in my own personal case) become overwhelmed with new product by year's end. My old brain is spinning just over the new radio offerings.:help:

20. niceneasy

niceneasy Well-Known Member

Wow. Hopefully the Smithsonian disc will include unusual things that maybe aren't in high enough quality for the mainstream release box.

And for the love of God, I hope these 12 surprise tracks are on a US/UK CD and not on some bizarre download code, or only available in duty free shops in airports in Brazil.

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I've spoken to Chuck Granata, and he answered a few questions posed here:

1. PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED means never issued on any official record or CD. You may have heard some of these songs before (as Sinatra buffs), but never in this fidelity. For all but the diehard Sinatra enthusiast, 99% of these recordings will be new revelations.

2. Graham Forbes WAS the pianist on the TBPF shows. On some of the tapes, FS refers to him by name. Also, anyone who is familiar with Bill Miller's distinctive style will immediately realize it is NOT him playing on these shows. The references that FS makes to "Cousin Knabe" is, of course, a reference to the Knabe piano Manufacturing Co. (there is no piano player named Knabe!)

3. NO "Meet FS" perfs for reasons explained previously.

4. In addition to 100 full songs, there are numerous show openings, closings, spoken song intros etc. THEN, there are a handful of ADDITIONAL "bonus" tracks, positioned at the END OF EACH CD (no vouchers, coupons, downloads, trans-continental hunting expeditions etc. - it's all on the CDs, which are in Chuck's words, "packed wall to wall."

5. Trust Chuck! Even of you think you've heard it all, you haven't. Some of these performances are literally one of a kind - undocumented and uncirculated - and never in this fidelity. For example, the Lyn Murray arrangement of "That Old Black Magic" from CBS 'Reflections' with an unheard arrangement, and FS & Milton Berle doing "It's De-Lovely." Some magnificent music! In short, there is something for everyone on this set!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Oh, and lastly: there is NO duplication of material between the box set and the Smithsonian single CD.

D.B., Bob Belvedere, Tord and 7 others like this.
  23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

One more thing. The bonus tracks are "hidden," meaning that they are indexed on the CDS and appear in the discography - but aren't supposed to appear in the Amazon (or other retailer's) track listing. They're supposed to be a surprise, gosh darn it! Have fun and BE SURPRISED!

D.B., Bob Belvedere, Tord and 5 others like this.
  24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

You KNOW that ain't gonna fly with this group!

25. kennyluc1

There are tracks from the "Reflections " radio series ..now that is early, glad to hear that, I thought the Milton Berle was from Broadway Bandbox.
    In fact I am happy to learn that " Reflections " material exists. That is his earliest solo radio show. and soon it
    will be mine...ALL MINE!!!