Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. FranklyCanadian

FranklyCanadian Forum Resident

According to Charlie Pignone and FSE -- we should be getting a new 180g vinyl of 'It Might As Well Be Swing' commemorating its 55th anniversary. No word on a release date yet, but it's apparently in the pipeline! I only hope that they have the good sense to use the Mono version -- it sounds LEAGUES better than the stereo. Though the original Stereo master would be a vast improvement over the hatchet job they did remixing/remastering that album on the complete Sinatra/Basie Concord collection. (There are subtle tape speed/pitch issues, Frank's voice is buried in the mix and everything sounds too dry/dead, IMHO)

Bob F, Daveymoore, jtsjc1 and 2 others like this.
  2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Excellent. Is this the first new reissue since the Only the Lonely release last year?

Artur Torres likes this.
  3. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

Yes.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    CBackley likes this.
  4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

5. CBackley

As much as I enjoy It Might as Well be Swing, this seems arbitrary.

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I mentioned earlier that not long ago I got an OP stereo copy of "IMAWBS" still in the "baggie". I played it and was absolutely blown away!!! I have an OP mono which I adore and I have a OP stereo that has some slight background noise that sounds OK. But this newly acquired copy is (as the kids say now) "GOAT!!!!" I have no need for a redone UMe .

1969 - 2019...They should release the never released as was originally planned Sinatra-Jobim.

7. Artur Torres

Everything Frank Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim did deserve a highly dignified release, with the right DSD digital audio version at 11.2 Mhz.
    Everything Frank Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim did deserve a highly dignified release, with the right DSD digital audio version at 11.2 Mhz.

8. I'd mostly agree. Shout Factory has made it available separately on Blu-ray and DVD. It does more or less ignore Sinatra's music career for his adventures in Hollywood.

Sinatra In Palm Springs: The Place He Called Home Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com

9. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

The Bowen-Dean Martin stereo stuff is even worse. The 1998 remixed christmas songs on Making Spirits Bright are a vast improvement!

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Lest anyone be confused by the discussion in THIS thread, it should be noted that this is NOT an authorized release from Frank Sinatra Enterprises. Perhaps a new thread in the Visual Arts Forum would be more appropriate?

RSteven likes this.
  11. True, but it does have insider access to new interviews with Barbara Sinatra and her circle of friends. It's about as respectful of Mr. Sinatra and his legacy as possible, though it's clear Nancy and her camp have nothing to do with it.

Stanley1970 and kennyluc1 like this.
  12. sinatrapicturefan

sinatrapicturefan Forum Resident

The "That's Life" studio session tapes reveal that the "Somewhere My Love" first take was a slower, although still uptempo version with a more traditional swing beat. I much prefer it to the released version which is a much faster tempo. Hopefully it can be added as an alternate take to a new release of the CD someday. It's a full take and done well by both FS and orchestra.

roda12 and kennyluc1 like this.
  13. Bob F

My point was: This thread is about the combo of Capitol and Reprise music licensed by FSE to UMe. This documentary film has nothing to do with music or either corporate entity. It does not belong in this thread, which seems to have become a dumping ground for all things Sinatra.

RSteven likes this.
  14. We now return to the regularly scheduled programming.;)

Any rumors on the next deluxe CD reissue?

Rob Hughes, RSteven and CBackley like this.
  15. sinatrapicturefan

Maybe I am in the minority, but I think the audio on the Sinatra-Jobim Sessions CD with all 20 tracks is outstanding. Over the last five years, I have listened to that CD more than any other FS CD in my collection. What's surprising is how well the two sessions flow together. FS' voice had deepened somewhat over the ensuing two years, but other than that you could easily believe the 20 tracks were all part of one release. I think this may have been Sinatra's greatest vocal achievement of the Reprise era.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sinatra-Jobi...atra+sessions&qid=1558912483&s=gateway&sr=8-1

paulmock and Artur Torres like this.
  16. sinatrapicturefan

For those interested in hearing it, here is a link to the recording session of Somewhere My Love. The first take is a false start. Take two is the slower version that didn't make it to the LP. In listening to it again, there are a couple of flubs but still worthy of inclusion as an alternate take on a future release:
    Frank Sinatra Some Where My Love Reprise Session 1966

17. Artur Torres

Listening to this poor record, I can see that Sinatra's voice is much better and younger without reverberation. It gives me hope that Mr. Sinatra's upcoming album rewrites will be without reverberation in his voice that will make it better, natural.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  18. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I have the same criticism. Too much reverb on Sinatra's vocals during the Reprise years.
    Not every record, but most of them.

Artur Torres likes this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@Bob F And it forever shall be that until the people who run this Forum find a user-friendly way to search. You have been kind enough to show an alternate method to attempt make searching easier, but there really is no excuse for searching on a sight to be an exhaustive undertaking.

RSteven likes this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@sinatrapicturefan If you listen to the Sinatra-Jobim tracks from "The Suitcase" or on Sinatra & Company and compare them to the Complete CD you will find the difference to be noticeable. On the latest release Jobim is hardly heard on some tracks and IMHO the overall sound is just bad in comparison.

MarkusGermany and AJH like this.
  21. CBackley

This raises the question: Do we still need a thread dedicated to Capitol and Reprise being together? 124 pages later?

kennyluc1, RSteven and paulmock like this.
  22. Richard--W

Well, yes. We do.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  23. CBackley

134 pages later, we’re still regularly talking about UMe or whatever joining Capitol and Reprise together? It seems like a very narrow scope for such a long thread. It has become a catch-all for many topics, and maybe that should just be okay for this one thread.

24. Bob F

Then perhaps this thread should be closed? I started it more than five years ago, and that would be my recommendation. @MLutthans?

Personally, I don’t find this forum’s search facility terribly “user-unfriendly.” I know that @pghmusiclover dismissed my complaint in a somewhat snarky way, but how hard is it to type “Sinatra in Palm Springs” in the search bar? And then, seeing that the documentary has not yet been discussed, to start a new thread in the proper forum?

The problem with thread-crapping random Frank Sinatra topics here is that the discussions become disjointed—[I think we have a half-dozen going on simultaneously this week]—and no one will ever find them in the future!

The only recently-introduced subject which fits the thread topic was this:
    And then, one can easily find that we have a dedicated thread, by searching for “Sinatra It Might As Well Be Swing” in titles. I.e.: Frank Sinatra & Count Basie "It Might As Well Be Swing" LP

Sorry for the off-topic rant. :hide:

25. Richard--W

What's needed is a sticky thread listing all the essential Sinatra threads, Bob F.

kennyluc1 and Bob F like this.