Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

To my mind, it is the single most underrated album in Sinatra's corpus. You mention two splendid, stand-out tracks, but each one is superb. "The Moon Got In My Eyes" and "The Moon Was Yellow" are also simply astounding.

A very talented and generous soul here made a wonderful transfer of the original mono pressing for me, and that has been my stand-by for this ever sense. Matt reports that the new mastering (mix?) doesn't keep the quiet parts quiet, which worries me. But I will listen with curiosity.

My god the moon-scape that Riddle created on this album for Sinatra's vocals! He could have scored 2001: A Space Odyssey, if Kubrick had not decided to go in a classical direction.

MMM, aoxomoxoa and Simon A like this.
  2. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Alright, you convinced me. Just pulled the trigger on a German pressing of the first CD release. Looking forward to hear it.

rangerjohn and aoxomoxoa like this.
  3. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Simon A likes this.
  4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

DVD aside, y'ain't missing anything. It's a definite step down from the old Walsh-mastered CD.

5. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Well, the cover is nicely scanned ain't it? :D

6. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Well, I also have the original dvd and the one in the box set, so I'm pretty well covered on all fronts.

MLutthans and Simon A like this.
  7. serge

serge Forum Resident

so why is Sinatra'57 out of print? anyone know?

its so good and such an important document...i don't get it

8. MLutthans

Wasn't that just available again in a 2-disc set a year or so back? Packaged with a new compilation CD or something?

9. MLutthans

Bob F and Simon A like this.
  10. serge

serge Forum Resident

really wow

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Well the company that released it is long out of business, of course. But why is it not part of the official canon? That is a mystery. Such a great show!

Dang it! Now I am going to have to play it!

Simon A likes this.
  12. MLutthans

Terminology often baffles me, so pardon my ignorance, but now that it has been released by Capitol, doesn't that make it part of the official canon? :confused:

Bob F likes this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Sinatra '57 was released as a limited edition on the DCC label (and by TRAMA in Brazil), but it was licensed from Artanis ("Sinatra" spelled backward) which was a Sinatra family entity. It's still part of the official canon, and as mentioned above, it was reissued recently (albeit with a poor remastering):

—> "Sinatra: Best of the Best" CD to combine Capitol and Reprise recordings

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    Simon A likes this.
  14. Bob F

There's no need to seek out an original Reprise CD of Moonlight Sinatra. The recent UMG reissue is still in stock, and it is identical.

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  15. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

The Best of the Best is the only way I was able to own and listen to Sinatra '57. I'm happy with it and I think it sounds great.

16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

If you heard the DCC it would blow your mind. Steve did an amazing job with it.

17. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

If you're a fan of Frank's Capitol material, make sure this concert is in your collection.

colormesinatra likes this.
  18. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I traded in my deluxe Best of The Best and still needed a few more bucks to get a used copy of the DCC/Artanis version at FYE. Worth it.

19. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Does anyone plan on purchasing the new Great Songs From Great Britain LP due out December 2nd ON TOP of re-purchasing it in the new London set?

Close To You, She Shot Me Down, and Rat Pack Live at the Sands are also due out December 2nd.

20. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

London set, yes. GSFSB LP, maybe, if to fill in that gap in my Sinatra Reprise LP collection.

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Just "Live at the Sands" as it is the premiere LP issue of it. Passing on the rest.

bozburn likes this.
  22. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

But, if Close To You is as good as ITWSH ended up being, I may pick it up as well.

23. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

London, Close to You (? Must be better than the UK-Box CD), She Shot Me Down and Watertown (!) - all as downloads... Yes, Yes, Yes!

colormesinatra likes this.
  24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have one of those French pressings (mis-advertised as being in Duophonic) which is an incredible sounding record so I am set. But I hope that it gets the same fine treatment of WSH.

MarkusGermany and bozburn like this.
  25. Bob F

They're due out that week in the UK (December 1st). Technically, only the Rat Pack LP has been listed so far at Amazon.com as available on December 2nd. We now know that these are manufactured in the EU, and if the delays are anything like what we've seen with the first batch, I wouldn't count on simultaneous releases in the US.

Simon A likes this.