Frank Zappa Halloween 73 4 CD set (release date 10/25/19)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pbuzby, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fanil A.

Fanil A. Forum Resident

Looks like another ZFT release I won't get. Trashy packaging, gimmicky add-ons, for material that's already well-represented.

Gotta keep that wheel of commerce turning, I get it. Times are hard for most peeps...I'll wait for the next release.

Bona fides: I DID enthusiastically snap up the Record Store Day lp this year, so...lol

2. Fanil A.

Fanil A. Forum Resident

FWIW the Inca solos on BB and YCDTOSA2 have been faves since I originally heard them, and remain jaw-droppers.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  3. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

I preordered on Amazon yesterday for $63. My advice would be to place a preorder and watch it, and then cancel if it doesn’t reach an acceptable price.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and dlokazip like this.
  4. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

They didn't provide an alternative to the manhole tin for ZINY 40. I wanted the CDs bad enough, so I bought it anyway.

Same applies here. 4 CDs with mask and gloves, 1 Highlights CD in standard packaging, downloads, and/or streaming. Those are likely your choices.

5. E()

E() Cat Herder

Wasn't sure I was going to get this when it was first announced given the overlap with the Roxy set.

But this band was just so d**m good...................

6. Looks like sort of a cheap Alice Cooper box set.

7. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

This is interesting. Does anyone know if Frank did Re-amp his guitars as opposed to adding outboard effects off the desk? I’m fascinated by the process and potential benefits of re-amping and hadn’t heard that FZ did that.

8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I don't necessarily agree with that. They are in the game to make money after all. Not for greed but to finance other projects. Overall Im very happy with the release program as it stands, but this packaging while being ugly for starters is really unnecessary.

oopap likes this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member Thread Starter

I seem to recall reading that some of the Shut Up.. solos were re-amped.

10. That's the whole point. These releases are for the die-hard fans - well, the fandom as it stands today is all that's left... And if the new, potential fans are music-savvy enough to be interested in Frank Zappa, well I'd be surprised they'd go for that cr@# anyway... None of these fans will buy this product because of the cheap, gimmicky presentation... And relying on the comments here, some are actually put off by it! To say nothing of the consumerist, "useless carbon footprint message" it sends...

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member Thread Starter

In the WXRT UnConcert from 1974 FZ drastically changed the tone on the guitar solo from one of the Roxy takes of "Penguin In Bondage," giving it a feedback heavy sound.

12. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

$100 for this is insane and if you think it's worth it, then i'd have to add you into the "insane" area as well.

We just need/want the 4 cd's. Shouldn't be hard to figure out and release it for a decent price. We got a 7 cd set for about $50 before,
    so why can't we just get a reasonably priced option of the 4 cd's for about $30 or so? is that really too much to ask.

Again, the people in charge of Frank and his legacy are getting too greedy here...

ParloFax likes this.
  13. ceddy10165

I think name calling is harsh. Having listened to all of Ahmet’s interviews I think he’s trying his best to do the right things by the Trust and by the fans from his perspective. The move to complete shows and more frequent releases is a boon to fans.

From his perspective, he’s genuinely trying to do cool and creative stuff with the hologram and the masks - that’s part of his background and sensibility. It should never come at the cost of putting the music second, or alienating longtime fans.

It’s just that one person’s idea of cool and creative is another’s idea of tacky and useless.

In a day in age where many box type releases are available in many versions, I think a cd only version like Roxy would be a nice option to offer at little to no additional production cost.

Being “forced” to buy a costume you can’t afford or don’t want at twice the price helps no one - I would imagine it hurts potential sales and limits fans from enjoying.

Not everyone is a cd person, an hd flac downloader or a streamer, so offer all the options on a set like this.

That said, at least it’s not a usb, and let’s not forget how incredibly expensive and slow buying from Barking Pumpkin was! This would have cost 150-175 from 818 pumpkin and delivered Halloween 2020.

It’s first world problems as they say. We’re just Zappa fanatics!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  14. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Wow indeed. I preordered the other day when it was ~$63 with the thought that I may cancel the order before release date if the price does not come down. Now it is up to ~$100. Give me a break. I guess $63 doesn't look as bad now but was really wanting to get it around $40. Not sure if I am going to cancel the order or not but have over a month to decide.

15. ceddy10165

Halloween 77 never came down in price or was offered during a sale discount was it? Every time I looked it was at 99 bucks.

Edit - just checked amazon. There’s one copy of Halloween 77 costume box for 199. You guys got a deal at 99!

16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I will agree that it seems Ahmet and Joe Travers are trying to do the right things these days. We've got a LOT of great sets in the last few years!
    (I can't afford to get them all, but I appreciate that they're out there- I have streamed most of them, but that's really not good enough sound wise for me)

I have hard a few interviews with Ahmet, and he doesn't come across as particularly interesting, nor do I think he really has a grasp of his dad's 'universe' like Dweezil or Joe seems to. He's kinda goofy and tries to be "off the wall" but there's no real humor behind it. I heard a joint interview with him and Travers, and I'd SO rather hear Joe over Ahmet any day!

That said, I'll reiterate that Ahmet is doing a good job on the archive releases. I'm glad they're at a steady flow with no cryptic and confusing notes to accompany them like before............

17. MechanicalAnimal6

Yeah, Ahmet is trying his best for the Trust and the fans.....by attempting to block his own brother from playing their fathers music and getting it out there and heard??
    Sure.....

And that hologram thing is a joke and so are these masks.

Just make normal releases and don't rip off the fans and all will be well. But make up expensive and ridiculously priced sets and ripping off your own family is
    not one way to keep everyone happy, that's for sure....

oopap likes this.
  18. MechanicalAnimal6

what are these confusing and cryptic notes you speak of...?

19. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Great line-up and setlist.....

....wait, HOW MUCH

F*** that

20. ceddy10165

Totally agreed. There was only one Frank. Dweezil and Joe are supreme ambassadors and caretakers of the music.

Ahmet has kept ZFT afloat and put out many great products. He’s not Frank, or Dweezil, and no one could ever expect him to be.

I just think he’s unfairly taken to task in general, when if you actually look at the fruit of his labor and listen to his interviews, that he’s coming from a genuine place to do right by the music and the fans. Not everyone’s going to pleased all the time - myself included.

21. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

€65,99 at amazon.fr. Still too much of course. But it's Zappa's best band. And liner notes by Ruth!

But yeah, hate the stupid packaging that just drives the price up.

22. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Question, how much gimmicky **** did Frank release whilst he was alive?

23. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Got my preorder in for the 4 disc costume set. The 3 disc '77 set is one of my most played CDs so I can't wait for this. I really need to get the 1977 USB box.

24. I certainly imagine he's referring to the ones that were from Gail's hand...

25. ceddy10165

Perhaps you know something I don’t, but the details of those requests were never published as far as I saw.

Dweezil is still out there playing the music with no interference, so was the intent really to block him?

I only saw a lot of back and forth press drama that never should have been in the press to begin with which got blown up with lots of emotion and probably some sketchy truths.

If keeping the family business thriving is the goal why would anyone try to thwart the most prolific visible ambassador of that legacy? It makes no sense and doesn’t add up.

I love and support dweezil totally - see him every time he comes to town.

I’d encourage anyone who cares to listen to all of the Ahmet interviews out there. Total 180 from the image haters put forth. I think there’s more to the story than we’re aware. Mixing business and a family in mourning is pretty touchy.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    vivalapsych, Galeans and Zoot Marimba like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.