Frank Zappa, the guitarist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StarThrower62, Nov 24, 2020.

1. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What do you think? Do you love his playing, dislike it, or are you indifferent?

FZ was careful to present his best playing on record by cherry picking the best performances and trimming away (Occam's Razor) the non essential notes and phrases through painstaking edits. But since his death many full, unedited shows have been released warts an all so what do fans think about all these guitar solos? And what are some of your favorites from these posthumous releases?

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Some excellent ones that come to mind: "Chunga's Revenge" and "Pick Me I'm Clean" from Buffalo, "Occam's Razor" from One-Shot Deal, "Conehead" and "Wild Love" from the first show in the Halloween 77 box, "Torture Never Stops" from the Zappa In New York anniversary box, "Portuguese Fenders" from the Mothers 1970 box and "The Black Page" from the Halloween 81 late show from the recent box.

3. StarThrower62

I haven't heard that many but I agree about Occam's Razor, and I like the Torture from Halloween '77. In fact his guitar tone on those shows is killer!

4. A few good spots, but I don't really like him as a player. It was as a writer and a bandleader that he caught my interest.

limoges, mr.datsun, elaterium and 2 others like this.
  5. ProgDrummer76

ProgDrummer76 Forum Resident

Pure genius and respected by the best of today.

6. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

I usually catch hell for saying this. Frank didn't much play thru changes, I don't know if he just couldn't -- or he just didn't care to. He was very modal. But he was the best at that type of exploration on guitar. Some of his solo's are flat out amazing. Among my favorites: St. Etienne, Why Johnny Can't Read, Inca Roads, Pojama People, The Secret Santana Chord Progression, Black Napkins, Watermelon in Easter Hay. That last one, Watermelon in Easter Hay is in my opinion probably the best 'guitar song' of all time.

The genius thing re: Frank is an overworked meme. That said, I have nothing but respect for his abilities.

uzn007, geo50000, dougb222 and 20 others like this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

An innovative, idiosyncratic and fascinating guitar improviser. Much harder to mimic than most accomplished lead players.

Watermelon In Easter Hay is my 2nd favorite electric guitar based instrumental.
    (Edit - Seems someone else posted something very similar simultaneously)

barfko, Bemsha, tug_of_war and 2 others like this.
  8. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I appreciated his guitar playing more live (seen him once) than on record. Seem to make more sense in a live situation.

lobo and geo50000 like this.
  9. PsychoBabble

PsychoBabble Forum Resident

I've been enjoying FZ's dense but radiant air sculptures since I was a kid in the late 70's.

These days I'll typically listen to a complete concert plus at least one official album each weekday while working, before switching to other audio entertainment. (thank you Zappateers) It's a way of life!

Some favorite solos from the posthumous releases:

Black Napkins (The Deathless Horsie)
    - from Halloween ( the surround sound release from 2008) = all time favorite FZ solo

Montreal - from Imaginary Diseases

After Dinner Smoker - from Transfusion

Heidelberg - from One-Shot Deal

Willie The Pimp[Guitar OD 1]
    - from the Hot Rats Sessions

King Solos Pt. II [Live] - from The Mothers 1970

Sinister Footwear II - from Halloween 81 Disc 3 10/31 Late Show

Yo Mama
    - from Halloween 81 Disc 2 10/31 Early Show

uzn007, Bemsha, adamos and 6 others like this.
  10. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

He was good enough that he didn't really need some of the hired virtuoso guns he brought in.

One of my favorites comes from when he was producing a Grand Funk album and Farner was struggling with a solo, so he invited Z to come out from behind the mixing board and take the lead.

This is killer.

11. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

He shoulda taken that razor to his compositions too.
    If I wanna hear that many notes, I’ll listen to Bach. Or Bird.

majorlance and Veronica Mars like this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Many of the solos that ended up on the studio albums were in fact performed live.

13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah he still needed guys like Vai and Keneally to play the really difficult composed bits and others like Belew, Denny, Ike and Ray for lead vocals and rhythm parts.

however as he showed on the 74 live recordings he was as adept at accomplished rhythms playing as well, only he could not sing and play at the same time. And often he was needed without guitar in hand to direct proceedings.

14. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Guitar wise: good not great. His real strengths were composing & arranging. Particularly the Grand Wazoo type stuff.

Atmospheric and Instant Dharma like this.
  15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Why are you listening to Zappa then? That’s part of his deal.

or are you just threadcrapping?

16. StarThrower62

I can't see him playing some of the super difficult lines that Vai played. But he needed the other guitarists while he sang the lyrics.

Fischman and Instant Dharma like this.
  17. StarThrower62

I think he was great at creating spontaneous melody lines while soloing as opposed to many guitarists who play licks. And others who play the same solos as on the record.

seed_drill, gd0, ParloFax and 7 others like this.
  18. Frank Zappa the amazing!

His guitar work was off the charts good, yet it was near spoiled by those goofy songs of his.

Oh yes, one helluva an innovator, who only gets his due props from his cult following.

People follow his mainstream protégés with more interest, with many people never knowing that it was Zappa behind it all.

But yeah, goofy music, brilliantly executed. It wasn't that playing a bicycle was odd, it was the idea of it that was nutty. :)

pudgym, SG47, Bemsha and 1 other person like this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Thats one reason I love him so much. AAAFNRAA.

20. StarThrower62

I don't think goofy is an accurate descriptor for Zappa's songs for the most part. There are a few like Frogs With Dirty Little Lips. But even many of the comical songs contain brilliant music. Ever listen to the bass lines in Keep It Greasy? It's insane.

barfko, Nycademon, tug_of_war and 3 others like this.
  21. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Great guitar player.....raw and mean

barfko, CDFanatic, tug_of_war and 4 others like this.
  22. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

this.
    Frank would start a solo live not knowing where it would go!
    That my friend is "B-A-L-L-S"

and do that in front of thousands of people.

ubiknik, barfko, pudgym and 6 others like this.
  23. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

As a guitar player he was below average. But he made up for his lack of technical skills in other ways.

sambamaster likes this.
  24. Jeff W. Richman

Jeff W. Richman The Richman Curse www.soundclick.com/qoquaq

Frank Zappa is my favorite guitarist.

I recommend "Sad Jane" and "While You Were Art II".

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Prefer him as a singer.
    But.. gtr wise. Inspired .. with certain tunes.