Franz Ferdinand Always Ascending 2/9/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neonbeam, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Funnily enough, I played it again today, and was impressed with how good it is. ‘Paper Cages’ is the only really weak song, and in general, the second side is much better than the first (I’ve succumbed to the charms of ‘Lois Lane’).

I’ve got the blue LP, and am tempted to switch out for the pink, which looks much better.

Neonbeam likes this.
  2. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

wouldn't ya know it paper cages is actually one of the songs I tend to be humming later on :)

and I think I slightly prefer the first side overall (though slow don't kill me slow may be my favorite overall) really not a fan of huck and jim (something about the way they say huck and jim or how it sounds just kinda erks me though I like the build up) and academy award.

i don't hate the album just feel like they could have had it so much better

3. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

well I enjoyed the two shows I saw over the past couple days but oddly enough they stiffed right thoughts album completely at both shows. I did some research on other setlists and see we just got unlucky (or lucky depending on your desires) but at the time it put me in a pretty bad mood and kinda made me think this was the beginning of them becoming a oldies band playing some new stuff and then the classics.

also the show was kinda short pretty sure they played closer to 2 hours last time but this time was about 95 minutes.

they did play a nice large chunk of the new album (pleasantly only not playing the two tracks I mentioned above as being the ones I am not fond of) so that was nice to see and some of the tracks did rise in my esteem I think as a result.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary Thread Starter

An "oldies" band? Not in Berlin. We got eight new songs, almost 50% of the show.

5. Neonbeam

Is there a blue pressing? I thought black, pink and white was all?! Still love the album, like you I think the second side builds up momentum. The Berlin show was really, really good.

Edit: The blue/ white was the one from their website. Amazingly this album is so popular that local stores still have the white vinyl with signed photo. Shame....but I don't care. Really love the album. Even though in 2018 FF are probably more a 40+ affair:evil:

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  6. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I really like the album for what it is, though for me it does lack a certain element of excitement that was present on their first four albums. Was that something Nick brought or are they just getting older? I’m not sure, but I do like the album a lot.

Neonbeam likes this.
  7. Neonbeam

So, now autumn is upon us, how does everybody like this album? Just revisited it myself and still like it! :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.