Fred Seaman "The Last Days of John Lennon"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by boogieman, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helter

helter Forum Resident

:rolleyes:

Let's just say many, many, many hardcore Lennon fans love the book and think it's an accurate portrayal but some people would rather believe random keyboard jockey's opinions then someone who spent almost 2 years in the inner circle.

I'm not a big fan of Seaman the guy really screwed up after John died but I love his book.

2. helter

helter Forum Resident

The Goldman book is pure trash but May Pang has also said her information was correctly told in Goldman's book.

3. helter

helter Forum Resident

John IMO looked good in most photos.
    We all take bad photos from time to time.

4. Immerse

Immerse New Member

Exactly.

Also the fact that Jack Douglas has come to the support of Fred Seaman many times, saying he got an unfair rap.

Both these people were far closer to John then any keyboard warrior here (mentioning no names).

5. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Was it a Tampon or Kotex pad? Inquiring minds want to know!

6. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

You can mention my name, Immerse, it won't bother me. And you can respond to my post about Jack Douglas any time you like. I notice you've been ignoring it so far.

I also notice that the Seaman fan club has been remarkably silent about his smear accusing Yoko of murdering John. I wonder why.

7. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Best preceded with IMHO.
    Did you hear about the gross out contest between Zappa and Alice Cooper....

8. Immerse

Immerse New Member

Ok, I've only just looked at your post. I assumed we finished our discussion.

What evidence do you have that Seaman claimed Yoko murdered John? I'm open minded enough to admit I'm wrong. If that is actually true that is quite out there.

9. helter

helter Forum Resident

Both Seaman and Yoko have dirt on their hands. Your quote from Seaman made on a tiny tiny tiny music forum back in the early days of the internet was done more out of his dislike for Yoko. Your also reading too much into it, since he doesn't say Yoko murdered John.

stevenson66g likes this.
  10. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

That's a fair comment as well. Lennon admitted to being extremely lazy (physically) so he probably was not on any exercise regiment. I think, just based on photos and interviews, that John was quite happy to not be the "chubby" Beatle anymore but might have taken the idea of being thin a little too seriously.

I have to qualify that I am not, either way, equating John's late 70's to 1980 appearance with drug use. I really have no idea what to think regarding this. In his 1980 Double Fantasy interviews, he sounds a bit wired to me but for the most part, I think I sound pretty wired after drinking my daily cup of strong espresso. And John was an admitted cappuccino junkie in 1980 so it's not a stretch to say he could very well have been hepped on on caffeine during those interviews and not nose candy, as has been speculated.

The song "I'm Losing You" does seem to suggest that all was not perfectly wonderful in the Lennon's marriage. Furthermore, it is not a stretch to say that there have been problems in their marriage from when he openly cheated on her on the eve of Nixon's November, 1972 reelection. Then there was their separation on '73. I guess I'm saying that it isn't a stretch of the imagination to me that marital problems might continue to plague their marriage until his death but neither of them were interested in discussing it publicly. I don't believe Yoko has ever declared their marriage to be a happy one at the time of John's death though her spokesperson Elliot Mintz always claims that they were deliriously happy with one another and everything else as well when he was killed.

I'm just trying to be even-handed about this.

For the record, I have read both the Seamen and Rosen books.

11. Immerse

Immerse New Member

And do we know for 100% fact that it actually WAS Fred Seaman making these comments?

Was he the sort of guy that would be with the latest cutting edged technology and into posting messages in the very early internet days? I don't know, but it's a question that should be asked if we're to assume it's him and take all the quotes as gospel.

12. helter

helter Forum Resident

IMO John and Yoko's relationship was improving greatly in late 1980. According to Sam Green he last spoke to Yoko in October 1980 so that would suggest their affair had ended. Which also might explain the positive vibes in the last radio interviews of John and Yoko.

13. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

It wasn't the very early days on the 'net. I think he was in RMB in the late 90's.

14. helter

helter Forum Resident

That was dial up time and the forum had a crude layout unlike what we have nowadays with everyone on the net.
    A very limited audience back then

15. Immerse

Immerse New Member

And you know it was him, why?

I'm not having a go, but I'm seeing a lot of serious slander being based on apparant postings this guy made. It'd be good if we knew it were really him.

I mean, to me, this is the equivilent of my dad being an early user of dial up internet and posting on some of the very early forums. I just don't see it tbh.

16. helter

helter Forum Resident

I'm really a hot woman with large breasts wearing a bikini and thinking of you right now!

17. Matthew B.

The Seaman post once again, since Immerse seems to have missed it first time around:

So you're saying he's willing to make up something like that out of his dislike for Yoko ... and that's your defence of Seaman? He insinuates that she's a murderer, just out of malice, but we can still believe everything he writes about her in his book?

Still waiting for evidence of dirt on Yoko's hands. Where did she accuse Seaman of killing people?

No, he just very, very, very strongly implies that she murdered John, including the lie that she had hurried into the Dakota before he was shot. Stop digging, helter.

Yep. People who knew him confirmed that it was him, and he also stopped posting very abruptly when the lawsuit forced him to stop making public statements about the Lennons.

Rec.music.beatles had lots of high-profile members at one time. May Pang and Francie Schwartz used to post there too.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  18. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Any dope with AOL could access USENET back then. RMB was not a small forum, trust me.

19. Immerse

Immerse New Member

Yeah right :agree:

20. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

He proved that he was who he said he was due to many doubters I forget what the circumstances were but he removed all doubt.
    Then everyone had a go at him.

21. Matthew B.

At least three people posting in this thread alone have mentioned reading his posts back then. That should tell you how "tiny tiny tiny" the group was.

Jerquee likes this.
  22. Immerse

Immerse New Member

Ah ok, so you are basing all this stuff on a bunch of random posts some guy made in the early internet days, who may or may not actually be Fred Seaman.

Not the proof I was looking for, sorry.

23. no opera star

no opera star New Member

How can you go against pretty much every single thing Seaman said and not call yourself a fullblown Yoko-ite? I also thought the story in the book about those guys who bullied Seaman had the ring of truth. It just didn't sound like he was making it up out of thin air. And saying something is factually inaccurate is a far cry from admitting you fabricated, c'mon.

Yoko had a vast array of superstitions, the gardenia thing doesn't seem far-fetched to me at all. Seaman's conclusion that this is how John meant it sounds like wishful thinking but the basis of the anecdote is imminently believable.

I'm also wondering if you even read Seaman's book. All these things you said, sea of exploiters, Lennon's one true friend, ego and self-pity, that's not the vibe I got at all. That sounds like a motivated spin from somebody who didn't actually read the book.

24. no opera star

no opera star New Member

I know, isn't it funny he's claiming to not be in Yoko's camp?

25. Matthew B.

One specific post by a guy who was definitely Fred Seaman, but who's counting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.