Free Streaming Classics

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NickySee, Jun 12, 2022.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971, Mel Stuart) on the Internet Archive.

Moshe and NickySee like this.
  2. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Honoring Juneteenth

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sounder (1972, Martin Ritt)
    The oldest son of a loving and strong family of black sharecroppers comes of age in the Depression-era South after his father is imprisoned for stealing food.
    I've never sat down to watch this one though I've been aware of its status as a classic for as long as I can remember. Watching it today. 4 Oscar nods, including Best Picture and proved the beginning of a good run of icon-making films for the nominated, Cicely Tyson. Free on tubi (also, several fine version on YouTube).

3. MrSnoid

MrSnoid Well-Known Member

I have really been struggling with all the Hulu commercials while watch the Roadie series. After all the “bent carrot” commercials I may have to consider the “no commercial” option

MikaelaArsenault and NickySee like this.
  4. NickySee

and an unheralded black film from the 60s -

[​IMG]
    Nothing But A Man (1961, Michael Roemer)
    A black man and his school-teacher wife face discriminatory challenges in 1960s America.
    One of my favorites from '61. Singer turned actress, Abby Lincoln, Ivan Dixon, Julius Harris, Yaphet Kotto and Matrix Oracle, Gloria Foster, all turn in understated but powerful performances. Nice YouTube version above.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  5. NickySee

It’s fabulous on a really big screen. I remember grade school auditorium screenings of Snow White. But one childhood classic that I’ve never seen on the big screen is this one. Never tire of watching it. Like most people living I saw it first in our living room. So it feels entirely appropriate to zoom into it. But a cinema viewing has be the best. I’d make a proper post but I’m not in the mood for troll flies at the moment. :p Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  6. MikaelaArsenault

Tim S and NickySee like this.
  7. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Gandhi (1984, Richard Attenborough)
    The life of the lawyer who became the famed leader of the Indian revolts against the British rule through his philosophy of nonviolent protest.
    This winner of 8 Oscars is something of a throwback to the sprawling epics of the 50s and 60s. Exceptional casting including the stunning lead performance by Ben Kingsley. Free (and great looking copy) on YouTube.

MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.
  8. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

Not to be that guy but this looks like it is a plain copyright violation.

9. NickySee

Thanks.

10. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Man of the East (1972, Enzo Barboni)
    In the Wild West, a dead Englishman's greenhorn son joins his father's old gang and becomes a real frontier-man.
    Utterly silly late Spaghetti Western. Some good laughs. Free on YouTube.

MikaelaArsenault and iggyd like this.
  11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Tubi is a great free streaming service. I've seen a few classic moves there that I had never seen & aren't easily available elsewhere. Most recently, The Apartment.

The Apartment (1960)
    [​IMG]

Ando II, Moshe, VU Master and 2 others like this.
  12. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

The Intruder, also called Shame, starring William Shatner, 1962. This is a movie that I've seen a few times, and quite an interesting turn for Shatner. Not up to the level of a classic, but definitely worth watching:

13. NickySee

Thanks. Yes, Tubi is probably the best of the (legal) free streaming services right now. :)

MikaelaArsenault and mmars982 like this.
  14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

15. NickySee

16. MikaelaArsenault

It was just something that I found and wanted to post, that’s all.

17. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Spellbound (1945, Alfred Hitchcock)
    A psychiatrist protects the identity of an amnesia patient accused of murder while attempting to recover his memory.

Tim S and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Wise Blood (1979, John Huston)
    Fresh out of the army, Hazel Motes attempts to open the first Church Without Christ in the small town of Taulkinham.
    Artful, hard hitting version of the Flannery O'Connor novel. One of Huston's best (imo). :)

Ghostworld and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  19. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid (1973, Sam Peckinpah)
    Peckinpah's take on the legendary adversaries. But for anyone who doesn't know Pat Garrett is hired as a lawman on behalf of a group of wealthy New Mexico cattle barons to bring down his old friend Billy the Kid.
    Coburn is great as the hired gun though some say Kristofferson is too affable as the outlaw, Billy. I don't know, he's certainly cold blooded when he has to be. With the help of Bob Dylan's score Peckinpah keeps the tension, the realism and the poetry fairly high in any case.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  20. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966, Mike Nichols)
    A bitter, aging couple, with the help of alcohol, use their young houseguests to fuel anguish and emotional pain towards each other over the course of a distressing night.
    One of my favorites. Director, Nichols, opened up the Edward Albee stage play quite successfully without losing much of its intensity. Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and Sandy Dennis are pitch perfect.

21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Lonesome Dove' on YouTube.
    Excellent adaptation of the book with terrific performances by Tommy Kee Jones and Robert Duvall.

Tim S, MikaelaArsenault and NickySee like this.
  22. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Control Room (2004, Jehane Noujaim)
    A documentary on perception of the United States's war with Iraq, with an emphasis on Al Jazeera's coverage.
    Just added to The Tube today. New to me. Fairly certain I wasn't even aware of Al Jazeera at the time. Well regarded doc.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  23. NickySee

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Natural (1982, Barry Levinson)
    A middle-aged unknown comes seemingly out of nowhere to become a legendary baseball player with almost supernatural talent.
    One of my favorite boys of summer movies. Ends differently (predictably?) from the Malamud novel but getting there is most of the fun, anyway. Great cast. Free on tubi.

MikaelaArsenault and conjotter like this.
  24. NickySee

[​IMG] [​IMG]

King Creole (1958, Michael Curtiz)
    A nineteen-year-old (Presley) gets mixed up with crooks and involved with two women.
    Presley said that of all the characters he portrayed throughout his acting career, the role of Danny Fisher in King Creole was his favorite. Mine, too. Great soundtrack. Free on hoopla.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    MikaelaArsenault and raveoned like this.
  25. NickySee

Glad to see this one still up and in good shape.

[​IMG]
    Odds Against Tomorrow (1959, Robert Wise)
    Good New York heist film with hoods who can’t stand one another. Great cast.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.