Frequency Response?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mcow1, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort Thread Starter

It may seem like a dumb question. But what exactly is frequency response in a phono cart. And, what is better a flat or a wide range?

2. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Frequency response is the range within a given piece of equipment operates. FR specs are often meaningless (i.e. 15Hz-35kHz) because, while they may actually reproduce those frequencies, the extremes could be rolled off by 10-15 db.

Flat response is much more important and meaningful. I'd rather have flat from 40Hz to 10kHz than severe deviations from flat within a range of 10Hz to 40kHz.

Some moving coils cartridges have great "specs" but have upper midrange peaks which deviate from flat. A Shure V15V in comparison will sound tame and rolled off in the highs but will measure flat within our normal hearing range.

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Funny, I always thought it was the other way around and the MMs had the better specs.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You'd know, Scott!

G

Wait a minute.... are you saying that a MM cart would be better than a MC cart?!?

I've been keeping my eyes peeled (ouch!) for a decent TT platform that I can tweak and such to get something interesting for a TT. Not that I'm unhappy with my Ariston RD11!

Are you saying that I should stick to the MM type cart? A MC is a bad idea?

I'll still try out that single point arm one day, though! It'd be h*ll to set up though!

5. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

As Beagle has mentioned, a seemingly wide frequency response could have severe roll-off at the extremes. The +/- dB spec is often overlooked but ought to be paid close attention to. A 3 dB drop is 50% reduction in power. A 10 dB (one order of magnitude) roll-off is 68% drop in amplitude or 90% less power!

6. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

They can both be credited with great specifications but still sound bad.

7. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

If you want fidelity, accuracy, you want a cartridge that has a wide frequency response, say 20 to 20,000 Hz.
    You also want that unit to be is flat to within 3dB at the end of the response curve and within 1dB in the center. (Like speakers cartridges tend to lack uniformity in frequency response).
    You also want the cartridge to be able to track highly modulated groves at relatively low tracking forces with low distortion.

As noted, many cartridges peak at the high end and many people like that sound, but it is not accurate. The Shure V15 line is noted for its flat frequency response, low distortion and high track-ability. Steve Hoffman has noted that he has used the V15 III in the mastering of disks. But like many he has noted that at home he likes the sound of perhaps less "accurate" cartridges. To each his own. As long as it tracks without destroying the grove you are ahead of the game, but the most accurate cartridge you like the "sound" of is the one you want, and price is not always the best guide to sound quality. Be sure to listen to the cartridge with the speakers you intend to listen to music with. (Since many speakers fall off at the high end the peaking cartridge may give the most accurate end result).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.